POL & Steam: 32bit or 64bit?
Aspiring_Champion Feb 9, 2017
If running the default Steam install script under Games, POL creates a 32bit virtual drive. I found it's possible to also create a 64bit drive and install Steam there. Is there any benefit one way or the other? I tend to lean towards using the 64bit install, but am I likely to need both? What did you do? I'm happy to receive tips.

The main reason I ask is I have limited Internet download quota and I don't wish to have to download games multiple times trying to get things working. There's also managing multiple Steam installs as a potential pita.
Ehvis Feb 9, 2017
Start with 64 bit.

Note that Steam is not entirely stupid. If you later create a 32 bit profile, you can just symlink the "common" directory (or specific game directories). Steam won't immediately see those, but when you press the install button it will recognise something is already there and verify first. This won't use much data.
ziabice Feb 9, 2017
I suggest you to create both prefixes and install two Steam clients: the vast majority of my games are 32 bit, but some are 64 bit only. i.e. for years I believed the game "Betrayer" was broken, then I discovered that it is a 64 bit only game ;)
tuxintuxedo Feb 9, 2017
I am not sure about Steam, bit there are multiple cases about software having problems with Wine when using a 64 bit wineprefix, which problems are not present with the 32 bit wineprefix.
As far as I know, the Steam client itself is still a 32 bit software.
Aspiring_Champion Feb 10, 2017
Thanks everyone. I went with having both, although I'm installing into the 64 bit drive. Fortunately, I don't have many Windows only games. Most were part of bundles, or some platformers I bought for my wife.

Yes, it looks like Steam is 32 bit, although I imagine it shouldn't matter too much as it's basically a downloader and launcher.

I also did a bit more delving around. It looks like my ISP runs a CDN that caches Steam content, so if the games I install are cached there they aren't counted against my quota. Happy days. I'll finally get around to installing some of the larger native supported games I have in my backlog, like Alien Isolation (~30Gb) and Mad Max (~34Gb). :)
Julius Feb 19, 2017
Quoting: EhvisStart with 64 bit.

Note that Steam is not entirely stupid. If you later create a 32 bit profile, you can just symlink the "common" directory (or specific game directories). Steam won't immediately see those, but when you press the install button it will recognise something is already there and verify first. This won't use much data.

No need for external symlinking. In steam under settings, downloads add another steam directory that points to the 32bit steamapps folder. This way Steam finds the games directly and is not confused about validation etc.

Regarding 32 or 64bit: so far I have only found the new Doom 2016 that requires 64bit. So its probably better to stick to 32 bit for most games.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.