Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
low fps plaing world of warcraft
doddofchaos Feb 19, 2017
hey peeps.
i'm fairly new to linux gaming. i love linux as whole and want to be able to use it for all of my games. I have been playing wow since vanilla but i am unable to play on wine at the present time the game starts and runs as it should but my frame rates and really low like 4 to 6 fps. can anyone help me figure out how to get it up to where it should be (about 60fps)?
doddofchaos Feb 20, 2017
Not sure how to do that can I get a step by step please?
AsciiWolf Feb 20, 2017
  • Supporter Plus
Just edit the ~/".wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft/WTF/Config.wtf" file, find gxApi variable and change its value from "D3D11" to "D3D9".
doddofchaos Feb 26, 2017
my motherboard = 990fxa gaming
cpu = fx 8350
video card = geforce gtx1060 ampi with 6 gigs of ram

thank you for your help
doddofchaos Feb 26, 2017
oh i almost forgot i am using wine staging and have tried both pol and just downloading it and running it with wine. i'm running ubuntu 16.04lts
sr_ls_boy Feb 27, 2017
When I saw everyone was using an nvidia card I knew exactly what the problem was.
It was a staging patchset introduced at commit:
Spoiler, click me
1cc5d04346f6fcf6d7b06e776b81b2a58b3d64f8

The fix disabled the patchset:
Spoiler, click me
3f25cd198a00fa32ee0b5e9bccfa569bff92ef0b

You might need this patch.
See the bug report where we discuss this.
doddofchaos Mar 5, 2017
sorry i might have been confusing on my computer specs. the video card has 6 gigs of ddr5 ram. i have 16 gigs of ram in my puter.
doddofchaos Mar 5, 2017
I would like to build a world of warcraft linux iso with all the tweaks and necessaries pre installed. any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. i am not a total noob but i haven't done much with linux since about 2005. if anyone is interested in helping me it would be great. any ideas, brainstorms, input, comments i am open. i welcome any help with this.
doddofchaos Mar 5, 2017
Also i would like opinions on which linux build you all think would be best for performance and user ability with world of warcraft and is wine the best way to run it?
sr_ls_boy Mar 8, 2017
Try using a newer wine release.
Redface Mar 8, 2017
Quoting: doddofchaosI would like to build a world of warcraft linux iso with all the tweaks and necessaries pre installed. any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. i am not a total noob but i haven't done much with linux since about 2005. if anyone is interested in helping me it would be great. any ideas, brainstorms, input, comments i am open. i welcome any help with this.
I suggest you instead work with one of the existing installers instead of creating an iso with everything on it. Partly because that Blizzard might not like it if you distribute the game, but also because of the constant updates.

On winehq there is the appdb https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33768
Then there are the frontends PlayOnLinux https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-14-World_Of_Warcraft.html
and Lutris https://lutris.net/games/world-of-warcraft/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.