Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Vulkan for Hitman?
1xok Feb 20, 2017
What do you thin about this:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Signs-HITMAN

Would be great if the game then runs better.

I have with the OpenGL-Port of Hitman some problems. Especially smaller but a little bit disturbing stutters. It seems to occur especially with active vsync. Always at the same areas.

Then the usual framedrops. My graphic card (GTX 970) is not particularly stressed during the framedrops. My CPU (i7 6700K) also has not much to do. I think in the OpenGL rendering path has various bottlenecks. I have at least with the OpenGL ports of these AAA games always these limitations and experimenting at the beginning a lot with my game and system settings.

Completely different Doom 2016. After I changed it to Vulkan it runs fantastically. Under Wine. However, it runs also very well under OpenGL 4.5. But of course this game was optimized for these interfaces by a large development team over several years of development.

But what about Hitman? Hitman already has support for DX12. Is DX12 easily portable to Vulkan? I have no idea, so my question. I think Vulkan is hard work for the developers. Vulkan does not accelerate the games in a magical way. Much of what OpenGL does, you have to implement yourself. And you have to implement it somehow faster. Tricky, I think.

But I hope the Publishers and Feral get this thing to fly. Even though it might not be Hitman. What I've seen from Doom really blew me off.
1xok Feb 21, 2017
To make one thing clear: Even with the little limitations this game is pure fun and the price (50% discount) was more than fair. I'm now a hitman fan. :)
Ehvis Feb 21, 2017
They may add it as a test run for Vulkan, but don't hold your breath. Those signs just mean that there is Vulkan code left in the port. That doesn't mean they have any intention of doing a full release with it.
neocron Feb 26, 2017
Sad but true.
dubigrasu Jul 5, 2017
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.