Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Time to build an AMD gaming machine?
Page: «3/5»
  Go to:
Arehandoro Jul 17, 2017
Quoting: chancho_zombieJust made my build

ryzen 1600 , gigabyte 350ab gaming 3 , just for now Kingston 8gb 2400mhz ddr4.

Kernel 4.11 had an IRQ problem "irqpoll" didn't fixed it, it made it worse. kernel 4.12 seems ok.

What really surprises me is how silent it is, the system will downclock the fans and make all really silent.
The cooler is massive and it's a lot more colder than vishera.

Previously Dirt Rally 45fps, with Ryzen 75fps.

That's a great gain :D

I'm starting to think of getting a new ryg, for both performance and ditch Intel/Nvidia but with my decision skills that could happen somewhere next year lol. Happy to see content people with Ryzen and AMD GPUs.
crt0mega Jul 18, 2017
It's been a rough start (April) but I'm quite happy with my Ryzen-build. Now I'm waiting for RX Vega to replace my aging 7970GE.
Koopacabras Jul 20, 2017
Quoting: ArehandoroThat's a great gain :D

I'm starting to think of getting a new ryg, for both performance and ditch Intel/Nvidia but with my decision skills that could happen somewhere next year lol. Happy to see content people with Ryzen and AMD GPUs.

Yes!! with the same video card an RX460. I'm seeing similar performance improvements with Shadow of Mordor. I had an FX6300, so it seems that vishera/bulldozer bottlenecks quite a lot. Now everything runs butter smooth well above 60+ fps. But if you are jumping from an intel cpu like a 47xx and you are already getting more than 60 fps in demanding games (with a Mid-Range video card), the improvement would be very small.
Shmerl Jul 21, 2017
If you go for Ryzen, ASRock X370 Taichi is a really good motherboard.
Shmerl Jul 21, 2017
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: ShmerlIf you go for Ryzen, ASRock X370 Taichi is a really good motherboard.
The motherboard looks great, btw I am also considering what I should buy when I have the money, but I notice it has a built-in WiFi module, just like many other new MBs. Does the WiFi work (correctly) on Linux?

I don't use it (I have Ethernet connection at home), but it works correctly, it's the recent Intel 802.11ac chip, which is probably the best option on Linux. You'd just need to install firmware-iwlwifi (or whatever the package is called in your distro).

Note, for Ryzen you benefit a lot from faster RAM. I ended up buying this one: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

Quite low latency, and works with that X370 Taichi very well (you need to enable XMP profile in setup there, to run it in 3200MHz mode). Just make sure to update motherboard firmware to the latest available version.
Shmerl Jul 23, 2017
Quoting: chancho_zombieThe cooler is massive and it's a lot more colder than vishera.

I went with Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4. It's really massive (and you need quite a spacious case to fit it in). It comes with two fans and a huge double heat sink. But it's surprisingly quiet, and even at 100% load (8 cores / 16 threads), the CPU stays around +45°C or so.
sr_ls_boy Jul 24, 2017
What does the "X" mean in the model number for Ryzen cpu's?
Meaning, what is the difference between a 1700 and a 1700-X?
Shmerl Jul 24, 2017
Quoting: sr_ls_boyWhat does the "X" mean in the model number for Ryzen cpu's?
Meaning, what is the difference between a 1700 and a 1700-X?

X here means higher clocked variant. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzen
saildata Jul 24, 2017
Quoting: LinasSo I bought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and my current machine is not really up to the job.
That's really the 1% of gaming, right? (And CivVI/X-Plane 11 on max) That's the one that will turn your desktop into a grill, at least it did on my laptop (new desktop, see below..) To play, I had it mounted on a special rack, with a fan blasted at it, which kept it around 60-70C. I did have it on max settings, I believe, but I'm kind of a graphics snob in the sense that if I know it can be better, I really want to play it that way (except for Windows. I draw the line there... I'll take a 50% hit to never run that #$^ again) :|
Quoting: LinasI also need some tips on what kind of CPUs and GPUs I should be looking at? I was going to go with Intel i3 or i5 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 or 1060. What delivers comparable performance in the AMD world?
It's funny you ask this - I was just thinking this exact thing this morning. I just built (base + upgrade) a new desktop and love it. But I know deep down that eventually it will need to be repurposed for a media machine, or something less demanding.

So I was thinking, driving to work, this morning.. "I wonder if the next round of gaming rigs, and the ones after that will continue to be dominated by Intel/Nvidia, or if we'll see a shift to AMD..?" Let me be clear - I am neither for or against owning an AMD machine - I just want the best experience on Linux, as noted above. If that's AMD, then sign me up and I'll take the t-shirt too. For me, it's just always been Intel/Nvidia... never owned an AMD machine.

To answer your question - and this may be a bit overboard - the one I'm sitting at now has yet to really try hard on any game I've thrown at it. I need to download Deus Ex again (such a huge game!) and try it. I have no doubt it will heat up the box. I've slowly been downloading the ones that I currently play, whereas my laptop pretty much has everything on it.

The specs on the new build: i7-7700K 4.2G/4.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (OC edition), 48GB DDR4-2133, and 3 drives; 2 M.2 NVMe for daily work and a HHD for backup. Coming from a 1070 I thought it would be a slight bump, but honestly it's been a nice upgrade. I also thought the 7700K would heat up, but honestly it hasn't. It stays comfortably around 31-35C, maybe 50C in 4k (2160p, I know) gaming.

The benchmarks are what the are -- but what I care about is day-in day-out how does it feel since I work from here a lot.

I've heard that the 7th gen. i5 is very similar when overclocked (and the i7 is not) so maybe that's one way to save some $$. If I had not find a steal on this, there is no way I would have paid near sticker for the Ti (or for 1080). The 1070 is great, and really more than you'll probably need 99% of the time. With that said, it is in my opinion noticeably quicker than the 1060.

Good luck in your search ;) I'm glad I'm not the only one scared of change in the Linux desktop arena! (AMD)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.