Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Time to build an AMD gaming machine?
Page: 1/5»
  Go to:
Linas Feb 21, 2017
So I bought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and my current machine is not really up to the job. Therefore I have two options: refund the game OR build a machine to play it on. Maybe it's time for an upgrade after all...

I have been an Intel/NVIDIA user lately after my sour experience with AMD (no acceleration with open source, horribly unstable and non functioning proprietary driver) quite a few years ago. But I have been hearing good things about AMD lately, and wanted to ask you guys about your experience. Does it work? Does it perform?

I also need some tips on what kind of CPUs and GPUs I should be looking at? I was going to go with Intel i3 or i5 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 or 1060. What delivers comparable performance in the AMD world?
damarrin Feb 22, 2017
Probably Intel/Nvidia, possibly AMD/Nvidia once Ryzen comes out (any day now?).
Citiroller Feb 22, 2017
Ryzen is available for preorder today and will be out March 1st apparently. I just found those videos. AMD seems to have cheaper alternatives to Intel's top processors by now.
Spoiler, click me
I would definitely recommend waiting until March, so you can probably save lots of money with an AMD build compared to an similar Intel build.
Linas Feb 22, 2017
The thing that I am most interested in (and cautious about) is AMD graphics. I have been using bumblebee so basically getting the best of Mesa features and stability, and NVIDIA performance for games. But NVIDIA driver in itself is not that great in my book. I experienced stability issues and external screens not working properly on pure NVIDIA machines.

At least with a dedicated AMD graphics card I can run Mesa, xrandr, modesetting, and other open-source goodies. Which I think is awesome. But what about game compatibility and performance? Is it there yet?
bent Feb 22, 2017
Have we heard anything about the motherboard chipsets that'll support these new AMD chips?

Intel chips with Intel chipsets have been a successful recipe for stable systems the last few years. I hope AMD either has strong partners or are releasing their own (well tested) chipsets.
damarrin Feb 23, 2017
A slew of chipsets was unveiled a while back. I'm sure you can find info no problem.

Looks like AMD/Nvidia is a very viable option come March 2.
bent Feb 23, 2017
Thanks, damarrin. I normally keep up on the news, must have missed it. Apologies!

To save other's the search here's a decent write-up (with pictures!) of the soon to be available motherboards - LINK.
mindplague Feb 23, 2017
I'm in a very similar situation here. Currently on a AMD/Nvidia build and it's worked well for a while but the components have start to show their age. I was thinking of going Ryzen/Radeon next month but I want a small build. I don't think there are many options for a smaller build to start off with.
wolfyrion Feb 28, 2017
Just a warning to those who are getting an X370 mobo dont expect it to work flawlesly on Linux until 4.11 kernel is released! ONLY with kernel 4.11 everything will work ok :P
for example most of the X370 motherboards are using ALC1220 sound cards and that is supported only on 4.11 kernel.
Also Ryzen support added on 4.10 Kernel so you should be fine but it will be fully supported on 4.11 kernel.

As for me I am going AMD Ryzen 1800+, Nvidia 1080Ti (depends of the price) which will be announced in a few hours ^_^

so here are the parts I have chosen

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Boxed
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 Kit 3000 CL15 (2x16GB)
ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO or MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM (supports 2x M.2- Linux mdadm RAID 0 SSD960 Pro M.2 , Anyone? :P)
Samsung SSD 960 Pro M.2
Nvidia GTX1080Ti
EVGA SuperNOVA Platinum 850 Watt p2
1xok Mar 1, 2017
I would expect that many games don't work properly with an AMD graphic card. At least many games are not official supported.

I think it will take several years for the open AMD driver to run as well as the binary Nvidia driver. Even then older games may not run with it anyway.

I'm wrong? Would be happy, please correct me!
g000h Mar 1, 2017
Yeah, I'm currently unhappy about the AMD graphics side on Linux. It is getting there (driver improvements). I just trust more games to work without problems on Nvidia on Linux.

Once AMD drivers are working great, I might consider future AMD cards ( e.g. RX480 ).

On the CPU side, I've been happy to avoid Intel and go with AMD FX processors. I've been buying AMD for many of my computers over the years. (Athlon, Phenom, Phenom II, FX, and even the AMD APU for second pc.)

The new RyZEN - I hope it does very well, and offers a good value alternative to Intel. Ideally showing Intel up with AMD as the new processor kings.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.