You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! We will also never show adverts to anyone who supports GamingOnLinux! Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
  Go to:
Time to build an AMD gaming machine?
chancho_zombie commented on 15 July 2017 at 10:59 pm UTC

arrgh the bug is still there, it possibly affects all AM4 Gigabyte Motherboards

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1671360

there is a patch for 4.10 kernel

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/769486/

Arehandoro commented on 17 July 2017 at 12:45 pm UTC

chancho_zombieJust made my build

ryzen 1600 , gigabyte 350ab gaming 3 , just for now Kingston 8gb 2400mhz ddr4.

Kernel 4.11 had an IRQ problem "irqpoll" didn't fixed it, it made it worse. kernel 4.12 seems ok.

What really surprises me is how silent it is, the system will downclock the fans and make all really silent.
The cooler is massive and it's a lot more colder than vishera.

Previously Dirt Rally 45fps, with Ryzen 75fps.

That's a great gain

I'm starting to think of getting a new ryg, for both performance and ditch Intel/Nvidia but with my decision skills that could happen somewhere next year lol. Happy to see content people with Ryzen and AMD GPUs.

crt0mega commented on 18 July 2017 at 11:15 am UTC

It's been a rough start (April) but I'm quite happy with my Ryzen-build. Now I'm waiting for RX Vega to replace my aging 7970GE.

chancho_zombie commented on 20 July 2017 at 11:46 pm UTC

ArehandoroThat's a great gain

I'm starting to think of getting a new ryg, for both performance and ditch Intel/Nvidia but with my decision skills that could happen somewhere next year lol. Happy to see content people with Ryzen and AMD GPUs.

Yes!! with the same video card an RX460. I'm seeing similar performance improvements with Shadow of Mordor. I had an FX6300, so it seems that vishera/bulldozer bottlenecks quite a lot. Now everything runs butter smooth well above 60+ fps. But if you are jumping from an intel cpu like a 47xx and you are already getting more than 60 fps in demanding games (with a Mid-Range video card), the improvement would be very small.

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2017 at 7:55 am UTC

If you go for Ryzen, ASRock X370 Taichi is a really good motherboard.

whitehand commented on 21 July 2017 at 5:32 pm UTC

ShmerlIf you go for Ryzen, ASRock X370 Taichi is a really good motherboard.
The motherboard looks great, btw I am also considering what I should buy when I have the money, but I notice it has a built-in WiFi module, just like many other new MBs. Does the WiFi work (correctly) on Linux?

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2017 at 6:07 pm UTC

whitehand
ShmerlIf you go for Ryzen, ASRock X370 Taichi is a really good motherboard.
The motherboard looks great, btw I am also considering what I should buy when I have the money, but I notice it has a built-in WiFi module, just like many other new MBs. Does the WiFi work (correctly) on Linux?

I don't use it (I have Ethernet connection at home), but it works correctly, it's the recent Intel 802.11ac chip, which is probably the best option on Linux. You'd just need to install firmware-iwlwifi (or whatever the package is called in your distro).

Note, for Ryzen you benefit a lot from faster RAM. I ended up buying this one: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

Quite low latency, and works with that X370 Taichi very well (you need to enable XMP profile in setup there, to run it in 3200MHz mode). Just make sure to update motherboard firmware to the latest available version.

Shmerl commented on 23 July 2017 at 4:51 am UTC

chancho_zombieThe cooler is massive and it's a lot more colder than vishera.

I went with Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4. It's really massive (and you need quite a spacious case to fit it in). It comes with two fans and a huge double heat sink. But it's surprisingly quiet, and even at 100% load (8 cores / 16 threads), the CPU stays around +45°C or so.

sr_ls_boy commented on 24 July 2017 at 2:40 pm UTC

What does the "X" mean in the model number for Ryzen cpu's?
Meaning, what is the difference between a 1700 and a 1700-X?

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook