Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Best Physics library?
nattydread Mar 7, 2017
I am thinking about writing some code for 3D rag-dolls. Does anyone here have experience with physics libraries? What are the pro's and cons? Do you know of example projects or source code? I'm considering bullet or ODE, are they any good?
neocron Mar 8, 2017
Thank you for your question I've always been curious about physics simulation.
Julius Mar 20, 2017
Have never integrated a physics engine myself, but it seems to require some pretty solid understanding of the specific math behind it an many floating point precision issues.

From what I have gathered over the years from various discussions is that ODE is a bit easier to integrate initially, but bullet works better once you have it running.

If you just want ragdolls, a full physics simulation is overkill by the way. The Sauerbraten game includes a simplified ragdoll simulation code that works great and is very fast.
nattydread Mar 20, 2017
Hi Julius,
Thanks for your reply, I'll take a look at the Sauerbraten code, I hadn't realised that there were any open-source games with rag-dolls yet.

I'll explore ODE a bit more too, I am interested in the full physics.
Or I might write my own code from scratch, I found a good book
"Game Physics Engine Development How to Build a Robust Commercial-grade Physics Engine for Your Game"

by

Ian Millington

that includes a bare source code to build upon.

I'll update if I make any serious progress!

Thanks again,

Nat
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.