You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! We will also never show adverts to anyone who supports GamingOnLinux! Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
Best Physics library?
nattydread commented on 7 March 2017 at 1:02 pm UTC

I am thinking about writing some code for 3D rag-dolls. Does anyone here have experience with physics libraries? What are the pro's and cons? Do you know of example projects or source code? I'm considering bullet or ODE, are they any good?

neocron commented on 8 March 2017 at 11:27 pm UTC

Thank you for your question I've always been curious about physics simulation.

Julius commented on 20 March 2017 at 4:39 am UTC

Have never integrated a physics engine myself, but it seems to require some pretty solid understanding of the specific math behind it an many floating point precision issues.

From what I have gathered over the years from various discussions is that ODE is a bit easier to integrate initially, but bullet works better once you have it running.

If you just want ragdolls, a full physics simulation is overkill by the way. The Sauerbraten game includes a simplified ragdoll simulation code that works great and is very fast.

nattydread commented on 20 March 2017 at 10:09 am UTC

Hi Julius,
Thanks for your reply, I'll take a look at the Sauerbraten code, I hadn't realised that there were any open-source games with rag-dolls yet.

I'll explore ODE a bit more too, I am interested in the full physics.
Or I might write my own code from scratch, I found a good book
"Game Physics Engine Development How to Build a Robust Commercial-grade Physics Engine for Your Game"

by

Ian Millington

that includes a bare source code to build upon.

I'll update if I make any serious progress!

Thanks again,

Nat

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
  • Rust... What have we started.
  • Date:
Community Livestreams
  • hatniX plays: Bear With Me
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact