You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Linux gaming laptop recomendations
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Julius Jul 8, 2017
I have a Tuxedo Laptop with a GTX970, works great. The preinstalled Linux comes with most of the nice gaming stuff already configured.

Optimus isn't that bad with a small app that allows quickly switching and logging out. See: https://github.com/andrebrait/prime-indicator

In the past I also used Bumblebee wich allows you to add a command to your individual steam games and thus do sort off dynamic switching. But it isn't completely bug-free and doesn't work with Vulkan. Not having to log out is nice though.

Never had any serious overheating problems with it, but of course battery performance in general is a bit worse under Linux.

I agree though that HDMI support is a bit spotty. Usually it helps booting the machine with the external screen or projector already plugged in. Plugging it in while the system is already running works but at times behaves oddly.
MaCroX95 Jul 8, 2017
Quoting: JuliusI have a Tuxedo Laptop with a GTX970, works great. The preinstalled Linux comes with most of the nice gaming stuff already configured.

Optimus isn't that bad with a small app that allows quickly switching and logging out. See: https://github.com/andrebrait/prime-indicator

In the past I also used Bumblebee wich allows you to add a command to your individual steam games and thus do sort off dynamic switching. But it isn't completely bug-free and doesn't work with Vulkan. Not having to log out is nice though.

Never had any serious overheating problems with it, but of course battery performance in general is a bit worse under Linux.

I agree though that HDMI support is a bit spotty. Usually it helps booting the machine with the external screen or projector already plugged in. Plugging it in while the system is already running works but at times behaves oddly.

I guess it's my hardware that has very uncompatible optimus setup, but for the most part I don't think optimus is neccessary, everyone should be better of for linux in terms of battery life and less overheating with only using 1 gpu.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.