Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Making a platform game for my nephew, what to use?
ziabice Apr 25, 2017
Hi,
to learn SDL2, a lot of time ago I built a platform game prototype using some tiles and sprites I found on the Internet (here: https://kenney.nl/assets ). One day, babysitting my 3 years old nephew I showed her the game, because the graphics were all so cute.
She loved the game, but she wants me to change it to her taste (basically she wants everything pink, fluffy and ice cream and... oh, you know it ;) ).
The problem is that my game prototype lacks collisions and she wants to jump and so on... basically she wants more a finished game.
I don't have much time to develop the game, but nonetheless I can't disappoint her, so my question is very simple: do you know of a Game Development tool that can let me make her game in no time? Something that has a GUI so I can drag'n'drop elements, manages collisions and scrolling, and has a fast learning curve? A simple tool to do simple things, in a word.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!
Ben D Apr 25, 2017
I would recommend Scirra's Construct Engine. V2 was really good, but Windows only, but V3 (https://editor.construct.net/, Public Beta) is completely browser-powered and works on Linux. Drag'n'drop, collisions, scrolling,fast learning curve...sounds like it would fit your bill.
Chromaticdeth19XX Apr 25, 2017
Have you tried the Scratch Game Engine? It's probably in the package manager of your favorite distro. Very simple, graphical programming and you can find multiple tutorials on how to make a platforming game. It sounds like you already know how to program, so, it should be pretty easy to get up and running. While the editor does make it feel less capable, it is actually quite an impressive game creation toolkit. You can just drag and drop your assets over and be done in a matter of hours or minutes depending on how well you leverage your time and the available resources.

Scratch Game Engine
There's the link for more info.

Love2D Game Engine
You might also try love2D as well. I'll warn you that it is almost as complex as vanilla SDL2. There are plenty of tutorials out there and the editor does act a bit like the Arduino environment, so, that does make things a bit simpler. This is not nearly as time efficient as Scratch but I have seen impressive games made with Love2D. Always a tradeoff, you know.
Guppy Apr 26, 2017
I did a similar project with my son, trying to teach him more than anything that making games takes time.

We used the [url=godotengine.org]godot engine[/url] ( it even has a more or less complete 2d platform demo you can consult if you get stuck at any point, it's in the download section )

He did the visual art asserts with pen & paper - which I then photographed and scaled to fit. Sound fx was done recording him doing them.

That bit and playing the game he enjoyed very much, what he didn't enjoy was the programming and problem solving. ( to be fair he is still only 6 )

So my advice is - regardless of the engine you chose, have the whole thing ready before hand in modules you can easily enable as you get to them. ie;

- lets make a hero ( enable sprite loader )
- lets make him move ( enable keyboard/controller input )
- lets make an environment he can move in
- lets make baddies
- lets add the ability to hurt the baddies

and so on..

With each step beeing playable/testable by the child.

This will make it much easier to keep them interested in the process.
ziabice Apr 26, 2017
Thanks a lot to everyone for all the suggestions, I think I'll go with Godot
JessieWalker May 2, 2017
This just made me think about single board computers to create a game. Are they as popular as everyone makes them out to be? Wondering if it's a case of much ado about nothing. But I love the concept of a SBC and looks like people are doing some really cool things. Raspberry Pi seems to get most of the spotlight, but I know there are also alternatives to check out. Would be interested to know if anyone has used them.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.