You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
For All The openSUSE Tumbleweed-ers, about NVIDIA...
Spud13y May 22, 2017
I have successfully installed NVIDIA proprietary drivers twice on my openSUSE Tumbleweed computer, but when the kernel went from 4.10 to 4.11 it, of course, broke it. Following openSUSE's entry of installing NVIDIA drivers the wrong way did not help so I gave up and reinstalled the system. When that happens again, do I follow the directions to uninstall the drivers first, like the way the directions state here? Do I go ahead and reinstall the dependency patterns every time or is it a one time deal? Maybe I can try using DKMS to help with this problem. I tried using the OBS method, but it kept telling me that I did not have permission to access the repo (or whatever).

I would prefer to stick with Tumbleweed. I like the rolling release model in general (and am used to it). Steamtricks and the fact that they test the packages before shipping them. I installed Leap successfully, but Steam had a nasty habit of trying to connect to the store infinitely, showing nothing more than a black screen. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Pit May 22, 2017
I just compiled the 375.66 driver for 4.11.1 on my TW Laptop. Compiles cleanly. That was a bumblebee package, as I have Optimus.

On my old laptop I was always using the package from nvidia. That one was 13.2 though. Always a bit work when the kernel changes, running the installer from the console commandline. And for TW this would be quite often. Also some X updates overwrite some of the nvidia libs and require re-running the installer. But I think TW updates the kernel more often than X libs :P

In general, if an update makes the driver fail to compile, go back to the previous kernel (advanced options in boot menu) and then lock it, so that purge-kernels does not remove it with later updates zypper al kernel-default-4.10.13

If you try dkms, be careful: If you install a new version of the driver with it, it will remove the old one from all installed kernels, which probably is not what you want....
Spud13y Jun 5, 2017
Quoting: PitI just compiled the 375.66 driver for 4.11.1 on my TW Laptop. Compiles cleanly. That was a bumblebee package, as I have Optimus.

On my old laptop I was always using the package from nvidia. That one was 13.2 though. Always a bit work when the kernel changes, running the installer from the console commandline. And for TW this would be quite often. Also some X updates overwrite some of the nvidia libs and require re-running the installer. But I think TW updates the kernel more often than X libs :P

In general, if an update makes the driver fail to compile, go back to the previous kernel (advanced options in boot menu) and then lock it, so that purge-kernels does not remove it with later updates zypper al kernel-default-4.10.13

If you try dkms, be careful: If you install a new version of the driver with it, it will remove the old one from all installed kernels, which probably is not what you want....

So do I reinstall devel_C_C++ and devel_kernel every single time, or only just once? I'd imagine after I notice a kernel upgrade I need to do that after the updates and before I log into tty. Thanks for your input :)
progaltrocker Jun 5, 2017
You only need to download those packages once. The packman repo has the dkms package. After you install that, the Nvidia installer will detect it and ask if you want to register it with dkms. After that, you only have to concern yourself with newer drivers.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.