Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: 1/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 25, 2017
Józef Kucia just implemented tesselation shaders in Wine (git), and it fixed missing / transparent surfaces for the Witcher 3:

There are still some quite annoying distortions left, but it really starts looking much better now.
Ehvis May 25, 2017
I had a feeling that the ground problems were a tesselation thing. Good to see things implemented to rapidly. The improvements in rendering are going much quicker than I had expected.
g000h May 25, 2017
Well it's nice the progress getting Witcher 3 working in WINE. However, unless they release a Linux port, I won't buy it (for Windows) unless it is massively discounted. And the lowest it has been on sale to date is 50% off (for the GOTY).
Arehandoro May 25, 2017
I have the game already so glad it's near completion to be fully playable on Wine :D
eldersnake May 26, 2017
I was one of the poor (and perhaps stupid) suckers who pre-ordered The Witcher 3 years ago, thinking it was gonna come to Linux.

And, of course, never played it to this day. If it can eventually work properly in WINE that would be pretty awesome and I'd finally get to experience the damn game.

That said, I thoroughly learnt my lesson.
qptain Nemo May 26, 2017
I wonder if organizing a "we bought it because now it's playable in Wine" thread on Steam or CDPR forums when it becomes the case, is a good idea.

Also yeah, goes without saying but this Wine progress is awesome.
Keyrock May 26, 2017
That's great that the rendering issues are being solved. How is the performance? Last time I checked it was pretty rough.
Shmerl May 26, 2017
Quoting: KeyrockThat's great that the rendering issues are being solved. How is the performance? Last time I checked it was pretty rough.

The screenshot shows basic metrics for max settings using AMD RX 480 with 1920x1200 resolution.
damarrin May 26, 2017
43 fps is certainly playable.

I got W3 from GOG years ago on the promise of the Linux version. Stupidest thing I did that day.
Shmerl May 26, 2017
It's still a good game, so I don't think you wasted your money, since it will become playable one way or another. But yes, you could have waited and bought it much cheaper, once it would have became playable.
TheRiddick May 27, 2017
For a 480. that is pretty impressive!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.