Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «103/178»
  Go to:
Avehicle7887 May 26, 2018
Quoting: rstrube@Shmerl: have you checked out wine-staging 3.9 yet? I'm curious if the performance is good enough to go back to Wine3d? The graphical artifacts caused by vulkan lacking stream output support are the only thing keeping the Witcher 3 from being a near-perfect experience on Linux.

I wondered the same thing when I read the news. Compiling Wine Staging 3.9 as I type this, it's late but will run tests tomorrow :-)
Shmerl May 27, 2018
Quoting: rstrube@Shmerl: have you checked out wine-staging 3.9 yet? I'm curious if the performance is good enough to go back to Wine3d? The graphical artifacts caused by vulkan lacking stream output support are the only thing keeping the Witcher 3 from being a near-perfect experience on Linux.

I haven't. The main work to support better buffers performance is done in some internal Wine branch (and it's quite non trivial), so it won't surface until they are ready.

I can give it a try though. May be they did publish some of it there.
Shmerl May 27, 2018
Here is current result with wine-staging 3.9.0:

I don't see any improvement from regular Wine. GPU is still underutilized.
Avehicle7887 May 27, 2018
A video recording (sorry for the lack of sound) on the Nvidia Side (Staging 3.9):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTT0KFASsw
Ehvis May 27, 2018
Quoting: GuestHow does no support for Stream Output in dxvk affect the game? I mean, is that just minor graphical glitches, or a completely game breaking experience?

The meshes of a few enemies look like a mess. Other than that I don't think it breaks anything.
Shmerl May 27, 2018
Quoting: GuestHow does no support for Stream Output in dxvk affect the game? I mean, is that just minor graphical glitches, or a completely game breaking experience?

Mostly broken monsters and some other models. Not very common, but immersion breaking when you encounter them. Latest changes in dxvk turned them into invisible monsters for me. Which is only marginally better than before.
ziabice May 30, 2018
We just got a ~5% FPS increase with DXVK! https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/commit/c600b43d73283ec1b846aa7d83c4dae61137a396

I'm not using the dxvk-git, so I can't check the real increase, but this is impressive even on paper! :)
Shmerl May 30, 2018
Yep, I noticed some increase too in my last test. Also black faces bug (LOD transitions) is fixed.
YoRHa-2B May 30, 2018
FWIW, wined3d has the same LOD transition bug with RadeonSI but it can be worked around by setting glsl_correct_derivatives_after_discard=true.
Shmerl May 30, 2018
Quoting: YoRHa-2BFWIW, wined3d has the same LOD transition bug with RadeonSI but it can be worked around by setting glsl_correct_derivatives_after_discard=true.

Yeah, that issue comes up on some walls and other surfaces with wined3d. I reported it in the past here.

Disappearing beards though is not a bug, but actual game LOD implementation.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.