You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «126/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 28, 2019
Essentially, TW3 developers wanted to provide higher level of difficulty, and they intended it for experienced players, so that's NG+ since that assumes finishing the game once. Other games just give all those difficulty knobs from the start, like Pillars of Eternity I mentioned above. That's a better method.
Shmerl May 29, 2019
More Novigrad rooftops (around Silverton harbor side):

Pangaea May 29, 2019
Quoting: wvstolzingI wonder if NG+ is ever good for anything other than goofing around in the first levels of a game. Though I've _heard_ that 'Nier: Automata' expands on the idea very creatively (which isn't something that could work for every type of story, of course).
NG+ is probably harder than the first playthrough, but I shouldn't overstate it either. Pretty sure enemies are harder to take down than as a level 10 or whatever in a fresh game, but we also have decked out skill points and more health. Enemies hit harder too ofc, but overall I probably survive better -- at least as long as I spam the Quen button :D

Packs of enemies is by far the worst, but apart from that it's kinda nice to have longer battles actually. No longer a swipe or two to kill mobs, but a more prolonged attrition with loads of dodging this and that way.

It's utterly silly for "red skull" mobs, however. That wyvern talked about earlier was almost unkillable. Don't really get why they made higher-level enemies so artificially difficult to kill. Because of city guards? No idea, but it feels pretty stupid, and kinda limiting as well. Came across some high-level foglets while exploring yesterday. Managed to kill one of them after 15-20 minutes, but ran away from the other guy. Had I been 5 levels higher both would have probably gone down after 5-10 hits instead of 100-150.

Will keep going though, and see how it pans out in the mid to late game. Hopefully new witcher gear can sort-of keep up with damage output and mitigation from enemies. I read somewhere that the game was reasonably balanced up to about level 60, but after that it could be sketchy, and certainly was a bit nuts at level 100. Hopefully the main story will prove okay for me, although moving into the expansions (which I haven't touched yet) might be a bit futile. We'll see...
Pangaea May 29, 2019
This guy has a serious case of overgrown nose-hairs :S:

Pangaea May 31, 2019
NG+ has mostly been fine, but I just came to a certain spot in the story where it was essentially impossible to get through it alive. Surrounded by heaps of mobs, and every single one of them would basically one-shot me (90-95% of health gone). After ~10 failed attempts, and not really being close in any of them, I switched difficulty down to easy and got through it.

Did a quick search and apparently it's a known "issue" with NG+ in that part of that mission.

I hope there won't be many cases like this moving forward, but there is a risk I suppose.
Pangaea Jun 1, 2019
Why was I not aware of this earlier? Helmets!

Not a bad view ^_^

Odd place to die, with your body hovering mid-air.

Shmerl Jun 6, 2019
I encounter one bug in TW3, probably related to Wine or may be dxvk or esync? Not sure. If I let the game run and leave computer idle, KDE timeout kicks in and it locks the desktop and later puts the monitor into sleep mode. After waking it up and unlocking, the game is still running, but the window is empty and you can't do anything with it. I need to kill the process and restart the game, which is somewhat annoying. Did anyone encounter such problem?

To work around it, I created a KDE activity, that never shuts down the screen, and switch to it when playing.
Shmerl Jun 6, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaNever found the way to the blasted Temple Isle stuff, though, so maybe I'll always lack something, haha.

There is a cave system under the Temple Isle. The way to get there starts on the western edge of the isle, where you need to get down the cliffs:

You can get a hint on the location from Julia, the cat lady from Farcorners, who is also apparently a secret D&D player.
Shmerl Jun 6, 2019
Exploring the caves there:

Pangaea Jun 7, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlThere is a cave system under the Temple Isle. The way to get there starts on the western edge of the isle, where you need to get down the cliffs:

You can get a hint on the location from Julia, the cat lady from Farconers, who is also apparently a secret D&D player.
I actually finally found that cave some days ago. Went around quite a bit, and then jumped down the correct ledge and suddenly saw it. Definitely not a place you just stumble upon, like many of the other caves in the game.

Ended up leaving pre-maturely because there was a lot of gadgets and whatnot and I figured it was probably tied to a quest I hadn't found yet. Need to head back, though. It was a really cool place.

Went into the Cave of Dreams this playthrough too. Missed it the first time.

Don't think I've talked to Julia, so thanks for that. Will see if I can locate her and hear what she says.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.