Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Shmerl commented on 13 June 2019 at 9:00 pm UTC

In first two Witcher games, I find "hard" the most enjoyable and balanced, while all others below it are too easy, especially towards the end of the game. That's why I chose "hard" for TW3 as well, and so far it looks similar in result to previous games.

Linuxwarper commented on 13 June 2019 at 10:23 pm UTC

I should have done the same

EDIT:
With help from mod creator, this is how I got mods working without conflicts. I used linux native kdiff3 (didn't it realize there was for Linux). Found all the script files that both mods. For example both Friendly HUD & Meditation used r4player.ws. I compared the vanilla r4player.ws with HUDs and MEDs, merged and output the merge file to Path to Witcher 3/Mods/mod0000_MergedFiles/content/scripts/..insert_further directories according to structure of where file was.

I did that for all the files the two mods modified (like five or so), and then the game ran fine. But I did experience heavy stuttering, similar to when you first play a Proton game. I think it's because the game began using script files in mod0000_MergedFiles directory, instead of vanilla files, that it's the source of stuttering and it will go away after some playing? Was this the case for you guys as well when you loaded the game after resolving mod conflicts with merging?

And on subject of mods, I changed my mind about Friendly Meditation. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great mod but I found the flickering that occurs, when you meditate, caused by shadows is not easy on my eyes. Am I alone in thinking that? (assuming you've tried Meditation mod)

Pangaea commented on 17 June 2019 at 6:23 pm UTC

Thanks for the edited details about mod conflicts. Don't have any conflicts on my end since I've gone with a small footprint (but actually quite a few mods, around 10), but it will surely be useful if I go with something more severe later.

Has the stuttering disappeared, now when you have played some more with it?

Have any of you tried the 1.2.2 build of DXVK, or don't drivers support it properly yet? I had issues when I tried 1.2.1 earlier, but maybe Nvidia is worse in this regard (don't know).

Shmerl commented on 17 June 2019 at 6:56 pm UTC

I didn't experience stuttering related to mods, so can't say. In friendly meditation, I don't set time flow too fast, so I didn't notice any flickering as well.

I'm updating my dxvk fairly often, simply building latest master branch. And Mesa a bit less frequently, only if there are some notable radv changes. I didn't notice any regressions, except one a while ago, that was caused by llvm bugs, but that was resolved by recent llvm updates (I build Mesa with recent llvm master snapshot, so regressions could creep in).

Linuxwarper commented on 18 June 2019 at 5:08 am UTC

Your most welcome I removed the Meditation mod shortly after so I don't have the chance to figure it out. I'm pretty sure it wasn't caused by something serious as a bug or regression. In hindsight I think I know what caused it, or at least contributed to it, kernel upgrade/downgrade. Of course having the game use merged files probably did not help. For example one file that I merged pertained to Witcher senses, and so when I used senses it stuttered and froze. But this was for brief moment.

I upgraded kernel but in doing so I experienced issues. The one that led me to downgrade, temporarily as I had little plans to play, was slower boot time and in general just didn't feel as seamless as with kernel that came with the distribution (Kde Neon). I tried at least three of recent kernels but I ended up sticking to 4.20 for upgrade. Perhaps I need to do a more thorough testing to find the right one.
In any case, I noticed when kernel was changed that it was had a initial impact on the game. As if a cache of game files relating to game world had been expunged and was now being cached again. That brings up a question I want to ask: have any of you experienced that?

To your question about DXVK Pang, no I stick with the version Proton use.

Shot I took in Skellige. If there was ever a time for 4k monitor with great panel...it would be to experience places like this.

Spoiler, click me

Shmerl commented on 18 June 2019 at 5:31 am UTC

Every time you change your kernel, your shader cache is invalidated, since it's based on the driver you are using. Cache are SPIR-V shaders complied into GPU machine code. And that's being reset, when your GPU kernel driver changes, to avoid some incompatibility issues. In case of Mesa, that also is reset when you have a different Mesa build. Shaders compilations can cause temporary stutters. Once they are chached - things should improve, considering you also have dxvk Vulkan pipeline cache built up.

Shmerl commented on 19 June 2019 at 6:51 am UTC

Just found a great mod - Sensible Map Borders. It turns off forced redirection mechanic when you reach invisible map border. That improves exploration quite a bit.

For some treasure hunts, I decided to travel normally, instead of using fast travel. So taking a boat from Novigrad to some far away southern Velen area could be fun, as long as it's reachable by sea. But one annoying part wasn't letting me through due to the invisible wall (not really sensible in that area):

With that mod, you can sail through just fine. Geralt keeps his remarks about "edge of the world" and etc. Which are useful, since in some cases you indeed can fall of the map.

Linuxwarper commented on 19 June 2019 at 10:18 am UTC

How stable is that mod? No bugs? Have you tried AutoLoot Configurable All-in-One?

Shmerl commented on 19 June 2019 at 3:27 pm UTC

I didn't encounter any problems with this mod - it's fairly small, just one script file. But I didn't use it long. Haven's seen that autoloot one. I try to keep mods to the minimum.

Pangaea commented on 19 June 2019 at 4:21 pm UTC

Looting is half the fun!

(Just wish merchants had more money - there are probably mods for that, but for now I'll just stick stuff in the stash - must be 50 swords in there by now)

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts