Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «139/178»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Dec 29, 2019
I'm old and still just buy CDs :P On that note, I did buy a nice collector set for Appetite for Destruction, and it came with a bluray Audio disk that has AMAZING sound. Now if I can figure out how to rip it to a FLAC...
Avehicle7887 Dec 29, 2019
Quoting: slaapliedjeI'm old and still just buy CDs :P On that note, I did buy a nice collector set for Appetite for Destruction, and it came with a bluray Audio disk that has AMAZING sound. Now if I can figure out how to rip it to a FLAC...

I don't know about Blu Ray, but I rip all my normal CD Albums to FLAC using Audacity, then I use EasyTAG to add the metadata info and album art icons.
Shmerl Dec 29, 2019
Quoting: slaapliedjeI did buy a nice collector set for Appetite for Destruction, and it came with a bluray Audio disk that has AMAZING sound. Now if I can figure out how to rip it to a FLAC...

You can probably rip it to WAV using ffmpeg (ffmpeg can read almost anything), and then encode to FLAC with regular flac encoder from Xiph flac package.

mpv also works as a nice frontend for ffmpeg.

Something like:

mpv --no-video --ao pcm --ao-pcm-file target.wav some_source

Though flac encoder is picky, you need to figure out how to generate a wav it can understand.

Last edited by Shmerl on 29 December 2019 at 11:43 pm UTC
Koopacabras Dec 30, 2019
What difficulty is everyone here playing?? I read that the normal difficulty is too easy and it should be played at Blood and Bones at least (whatever is called).

I ask because I think I'll start playing TW3 this week. I already played the witcher 2 but I couldn't get myself around playing TW3 until now that I'm on holidays (and I only purchased it recently).

I read that the same as witcher 2 it can be a little difficult at the beginning but then it becomes easy. And also that is much easier than TW2 so maybe I should play it in a harder difficulty than the normal one. TW2 was just the right amount of difficulty I like in a game.
Shmerl Dec 30, 2019
I usually play all TW games on hard, but TW3 starts getting too easy, so I might bump it to hardest.

Last edited by Shmerl on 30 December 2019 at 7:03 pm UTC
TobyGornow Dec 30, 2019
Quoting: The_AquabatWhat difficulty is everyone here playing?? I read that the normal difficulty is too easy and it should be played at Blood and Bones at least (whatever is called).

I started it on normal and it is too easy in my opinion, cruised thru the entire game with no difficulties whatsoever and I didn't play Witcher 1 or 2. Never died once in combat playing it Arkham Asylum style ( like a brute if you prefer ) only by falling from a cliff or drowning.

Spoiler, click me
By the way, I'm at the last mission (I think) just after the Kaer Morhen battle, Lvl 31, looking to upgrade to the last tier my feline armor set wearable at lvl 34, but I have no more side quests left to gain exp to gain 3 more lvl. Do I have to grind ? Do I have to begin the extension ? I would really like to be full mastercrafted for the last showdown.
Shmerl Dec 30, 2019
As for expansions, it's recommended to play them after finishing the main storyline. Also, NG+ is a mode which bumps difficulty even further and gives access to even more advanced witcher gear. It's accessible after finishing the game once. I'm still in my first playtrhough so didn't get to that yet :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 30 December 2019 at 10:40 pm UTC
wvstolzing Dec 31, 2019
TW3 is one of those games where higher difficulty does make sense; because it doesn't amount to arbitrary handicaps on the player. You need to actually read the bestiary to learn what strategy works best against what monster, pay attention to the effects of the potions and the oils -- and as a result, you get to experience more of the game, which in turn (IMHO) makes it more enjoyable.

(One downside of all this, though, is that when you take a long break from playing, picking it back up becomes really hard -- which is what happened to me, as I went back to play the expansions. Now I have to relearn how everything works, incl. the crafting, and the runes, and whatnot; and it doesn't help that the user interface got updates in the meantime (the interface did get easier to use; but then again that's one more thing to relearn). I'm not terribly motivated to put in the 'work' again, so the Blood and Wine expansion sits gathering dust. Maybe I'll return to it after I sort out my stuff in the real world.)
Shmerl Dec 31, 2019
Yeah, after a long break, re-learning things can be time consuming. Still, it's far from more complex examples like some cRPGs :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 31 December 2019 at 7:29 am UTC
Koopacabras Dec 31, 2019
thanks for the answers I started the game in Blood and Broken Bones.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.