You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Shmerl commented on 20 January 2020 at 9:04 pm UTC

Nice little bugfix mod to improve immersion: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3927

Pangaea commented on 20 January 2020 at 10:29 pm UTC

adamhmI recently started noticing a number of games having issues with crackling sound on my system. In my case it seems to be Firefox's fault, as it only happens if I leave Firefox running in the background & closing Firefox fixes it.

It's not the first time I've run into issues with leaving Firefox running in the background either: some time ago games using Esync started crashing regularly on my system with "eventfd: Too many open files" (despite the limit being increased to 1048576), and that turned out to be Firefox's fault too.

Very interesting (and it's good to see you over here). Usually I have Firefox open when I play games, so it's easy to check something if I want, or take small pauses. Firefox (etc) in one workspace, and the game in the other. Today I tried with nothing else open, only the game. Not 100% conclusive, but I did play for many hours without any hick-ups. Eventually the sound started crackling again, but I reckon it took much longer than usual.

Will try to play some other days with Firefox closed as well, and see if today's experience persists. Thanks for the tip in any case

Pangaea commented on 21 January 2020 at 8:18 pm UTC

Is there a mod that only puts icons for the various merchants and blacksmiths+armourers on the map?

I often forget what's where, which is a massive pain when I need to craft new gear, or try to offload another load of weapons and armour. Really annoying that most of them only show when Geralt is close enough to spit on the stores

Shmerl commented on 22 January 2020 at 2:24 am UTC

I've seen some mod that shows all marks on the maps, but I'm not using it. I use the wiki to look up general location if I can't find it

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 January 2020 at 2:25 am UTC

Shmerl commented on 22 January 2020 at 4:16 am UTC

I was looking for free camera option, to take better screenshots for the wiki, but found a more flexible than xy(x, y) teleportation console command! Just for fun, don't use it to cheat the game

tptopos(x, y, z)

Now you can control Z axis as well! You can teleport somewhere to mesosphere

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 January 2020 at 4:20 am UTC

Pangaea commented on 22 January 2020 at 10:56 am UTC

ShmerlI've seen some mod that shows all marks on the maps, but I'm not using it. I use the wiki to look up general location if I can't find it
Came across probably the same mod when looking for solutions earlier, but I don't want the map littered with quest markers either, so that one is out. Previously I've had Firefox and the wiki up, so I can quickly check something (or see if I can add something to the wiki while playing), but since Firefox seems to be tied to the sound issues I've been having, I'm now playing with it closed, which naturally means that option is out. Would therefore have been great with such a mod, but doesn't look like one exists :-/

Less of a problem once a certain master is unlocked in Novigrad, but until that time it's a huge pain to find places to unload weapons and armour. And especially to craft weapons since I need a journeyman+, and there are very few about.

Honestly don't understand why they did it like this. Would have been much better to have the blacksmiths and armourers always visible on the world map once you have found them. Like happens for Crow's Perch and suchlike locations. Quality of life.

Last edited by Pangaea on 22 January 2020 at 10:57 am UTC

Pangaea commented on 22 January 2020 at 11:00 am UTC

I forgot to turn off the UI here, but I just love to dive in this location. Such a cool feeling

Shmerl commented on 22 January 2020 at 3:21 pm UTC

Oh, sure. I use Hattori there a lot, due to solving related quest early (pretty hard fights there on lower levels). He also is practically the only blacksmith, who can make greater runestones.

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 January 2020 at 3:23 pm UTC

Pangaea commented on 23 January 2020 at 2:46 pm UTC

Currently the game is 70% off on GOG.com, so this is a great time to buy it if you haven't done so already.

---

I continue to be concerned about what's been going on behind the scenes with the wiki, and thanks for raising it with game widow. I can't help to wonder if there is something she can't say in writing, and it's more diplomatic to say she has stepped down as wiki manager due to lack of time.

Kinda surprised and sad too, for different reasons. Recently I've checked out the bandom wiki a bit, and although the design is atrocious in the extreme, there is actually often more information there about quests and suchlike. Not always very professionally written, but it's info people are after. Kinda just highlights my earlier comment that there are things on the official gamepedia wiki that could have been improved.

Doing that now, though, so many years after the game's release and with the wiki possibly getting co-opted into wikia? Feck it. Would be sooooooo much work. Just the thought of starting to whack my head against templates again makes my heart ache

If you have the xml bundle uncooked, can you check if it's reasonably easy to get info from the files? For difficulty, XP, items, abilities, and suchlike?

I have tried to look into some of the script files (they are freely available), but didn't manage to find the information I was after.

Pangaea commented on 23 January 2020 at 2:52 pm UTC

ShmerlOh, sure. I use Hattori there a lot, due to solving related quest early (pretty hard fights there on lower levels). He also is practically the only blacksmith, who can make greater runestones.

I'm only level 14 in the new playthrough, so will take a while before it's reasonably possible to unlock Hattori. That quest/combat was not easy from what I recall, and impossible against red-skull enemies. Even more so on Death March, I imagine.

But I've made a mental note of the blacksmith in the fish market now, so I can go there at least. Shame he has no money, and it seems to take forever before merchants get more, but at least he'll be able to craft feline swords, when I do that quest and hit level 17.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • MMOre Fun: „World of Warcraft“ (Wine/DXVK)
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts