You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «178/178
  Go to:
skyrrd Dec 14, 2022
i am able to launch the next gen version and get to the bathtub intro which renders fine.
but as soon as i would be able to control geralt the game hangs and then crashes.

My setup:

nobara linux (GE's Fedora Spin)
gog version installed and launched with heroic launcher (dx12 set as default)
proton ge 7.42
vega 56

if you want me to test something or need further details just let me know
Shmerl Dec 14, 2022
Yes, that's my experience too. The intro in Kaer Morhen works, but the game crashes as soon as it ends or you interrupt it.

The error I see is like this:

Assertion failed: !status, file dlls/winevulkan/loader_thunks.c, line 3145

I'm using Wine 8.0-rc1 + vkd3d-proton. Not sure where exactly to report the bug. May be we can try vkd3d-proton bug tracker.

I'll retest it a bit later with more fresh build of vkd3d-proton and will open a bug.

Last edited by Shmerl on 14 December 2022 at 8:33 am UTC
Shmerl Dec 14, 2022
Shmerl Dec 15, 2022
It's working now, but I noticed that performance is pretty bad. Especially GPU isn't fully utilized which is obviously impacting the result.

Last edited by Shmerl on 15 December 2022 at 6:45 am UTC
Shmerl Dec 15, 2022
Wow, performance of DX11 version for this update is so much better! I'd say avoid DX12 one unless they fix this stuff. It's a problem with the game, not with Wine or vkd3d-proton.

Last edited by Shmerl on 15 December 2022 at 7:14 am UTC
Ehvis Dec 15, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlWow, performance of DX11 version for this update is so much better! I'd say avoid DX12 one unless they fix this stuff. It's a problem with the game, not with Wine or vkd3d-proton.

Had a little check on the old YT to find some reasonable numbers. For those that actually tested identical settings, DX11 seemed maybe 2% faster on average, but with much lower dips. So at least on Windows there doesn't appear to be a huge reason to play on DX11.

The old version seems to easily have 50% higher fps at the same settings. However, detail is clearly higher in the updated version, so that's not really a fair comparison. It does show that you're probably better off with the old version on Steam Deck unless you really want that larger text.
Shmerl Dec 16, 2022
Quoting: EhvisHad a little check on the old YT to find some reasonable numbers. For those that actually tested identical settings, DX11 seemed maybe 2% faster on average, but with much lower dips. So at least on Windows there doesn't appear to be a huge reason to play on DX11.

For me it's not about just dips. DX12 version is hugely slower becasue it doesn't saturate the GPU. I think it's more apparent on high end GPUs though.

I.e. in DX12 mode I don't get 100% GPU load, while I get it for DX11 mode. I think their DX12 version is not properly parallelized.

Last edited by Shmerl on 16 December 2022 at 3:32 am UTC
Ehvis Dec 16, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlI think their DX12 version is not properly parallelized.

It's not. There are some YT vids that show it peaks only in one or two cores. Another consequence of D3D11on12 I suppose.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.