You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Faattori commented on 10 April 2018 at 4:54 pm UTC

I figured it might be old drivers and fair enough it works now with 390.48, thanks!

Shmerl commented on 20 April 2018 at 6:58 pm UTC

I wonder if Matteo Bruni is working on some fixes for performance issues that affect TW3 with wined3d. With dxvk not likely getting stream output support until Vulkan will get transform feedback, I think it's more probable for wined3d to reach good state sooner.

adamhm commented on 24 April 2018 at 6:40 pm UTC

Just tried DXVK for the first time, with The Witcher 3... very impressive Huge difference between normal Wine and Wine+DXVK, although it was a bit stuttery to begin with.

I also tested Saints Row: The Third - in stock Wine its performance is terrible (it's unplayable) but with DXVK it actually runs better than the official Linux release, at least from what I've played of it so far (just loaded my previous test save & drove around/caused mayhem for a while).

Shmerl commented on 24 April 2018 at 7:25 pm UTC

adamhmJust tried DXVK for the first time, with The Witcher 3... very impressive Huge difference between normal Wine and Wine+DXVK, although it was a bit stuttery to begin with.

Yeah, performance is way better with dxvk. But some major rendering issues still remain.

adamhm commented on 25 April 2018 at 3:46 pm UTC

ShmerlYeah, performance is way better with dxvk. But some major rendering issues still remain.

That's why I'm waiting for it to work perfectly (or at least almost perfectly) before I start to play it properly & release a wrapper for it (POL's Wine builds lacking Vulkan support is also a minor issue but I can work around that by repacking a Wine build from WineHQ, which is what I've done for my testing so far... it would be really nice if WineHQ provided tarballs like POL does). Doesn't look like it's that far off though

Shmerl commented on 25 April 2018 at 4:49 pm UTC

adamhmThat's why I'm waiting for it to work perfectly (or at least almost perfectly) before I start to play it properly & release a wrapper for it

I've never ever finished the game either, still just in Velen

adamhmDoesn't look like it's that far off though

I don't think dxvk will get transform feedback / stream output support soon, at least not until Khronos will do something about adding it in Vulkan, and then drivers picking that up. It will likely take a while. On the other hand, wined3d can eventually overcome that memory access bottleneck and the game will become playable in stock Wine with acceptable performance.

Nasra commented on 25 April 2018 at 4:51 pm UTC

The game is fully playable.

Just 2 things :
* a bug with a function not implemented : Stream Output not supported : https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/135
It affects other games too...
* cinematics with crackling sound.

From this tutorial (with latest dxvk) : https://boilingsteam.com/no-need-to-wait-for-a-witcher-3-port-anymore/

With my PC, all is on Ultra, except HairWorks. I have Vsync OFF. Fully playable with very rare slowdowns.
AMD FX 8350, 8Go, Nvidia 970 4Go
Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.3, nvidia-390 (390.48), dxvk 0.42

Shmerl commented on 25 April 2018 at 4:53 pm UTC

NasraThe game is fully playable [with dxvk].

It's not fully playable. It works for the most part, but rendering issues are quite annoying and there are still some reported freezes in the game. You yourself mention stream output. It's a big hole in dxvk for now, and implementing it requires changes to Vulkan itself.

Leopard commented on 25 April 2018 at 7:12 pm UTC

NasraThe game is fully playable.

Just 2 things :
* a bug with a function not implemented : Stream Output not supported : https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/135
It affects other games too...
* cinematics with crackling sound.

From this tutorial (with latest dxvk) : https://boilingsteam.com/no-need-to-wait-for-a-witcher-3-port-anymore/

With my PC, all is on Ultra, except HairWorks. I have Vsync OFF. Fully playable with very rare slowdowns.
AMD FX 8350, 8Go, Nvidia 970 4Go
Ubuntu Gnome 16.04.3, nvidia-390 (390.48), dxvk 0.42

Such a bold claim.

If you add even DXVK dev is saying the opposite , that is a very bold claim indeed.

Nasra commented on 25 April 2018 at 8:12 pm UTC

Shmerl
NasraThe game is fully playable [with dxvk].

It's not fully playable. It works for the most part, but rendering issues are quite annoying and there are still some reported freezes in the game. You yourself mention stream output. It's a big hole in dxvk for now, and implementing it requires changes to Vulkan itself.

No freezes for me, my Geralt is level 15.
The big hole of Stream Output slows a little the game on my configuration. I haven't tested on AMD graphics card.

LeopardSuch a bold claim.

If you add even DXVK dev is saying the opposite , that is a very bold claim indeed.

This is my experience, i'm sure there is other experiences that doesn't confirm my experience. Dxvk is in developpement, i know that.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Turn Around: „Shadowrun: Dragonfall“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts