Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «99/178»
  Go to:
Cecco_d_Ascoli May 3, 2018
[quote=Guest]
Quoting: ShmerlI mean tutorial of how to set up Dxvk + Wine
Lutris ones are well explained, but most Terminal tutorials are lacking a lot!

Splendid idea, I utterly concur! Speaking at least for myself, a fool-proof terminal tutorial on how to set up a running Dxvk-Wine would be most welcome. Being just a humble admirer of Shmerl's and others' prowess in magicking dlls and compiling stuff, I never really succeed in patching together the various info properly - but somehow manage to keep up my enthusiasm.

Hence a list of command lines - starting from scratch - one may only copy/paste would be great.
I.e. you have a fresh new install of Ubuntu 16.04/17.x and/or Arch-Antergos and in order to get games running with the latest stable(!) Dxvk-Wine open a terminal and enter 1... 2... 3...
Note: That such a tutorial should also include the proper functioning GPU-driver-installation both for Nvidia and AMD, since doitsujin seemingly (and from his point of view sufficiently) lists merely drivers which cause issues on github, yet a common user like me would explicitly need to be told which ones do work and which to avoid under any circumstance.

Thanks you very much! Kudos and looking forward!
Cecco
cRaZy-bisCuiT May 3, 2018
[quote=Cecco_d_Ascoli]
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: ShmerlI mean tutorial of how to set up Dxvk + Wine
Lutris ones are well explained, but most Terminal tutorials are lacking a lot!

Splendid idea, I utterly concur! Speaking at least for myself, a fool-proof terminal tutorial on how to set up a running Dxvk-Wine would be most welcome. Being just a humble admirer of Shmerl's and others' prowess in magicking dlls and compiling stuff, I never really succeed in patching together the various info properly - but somehow manage to keep up my enthusiasm.

Hence a list of command lines - starting from scratch - one may only copy/paste would be great.
I.e. you have a fresh new install of Ubuntu 16.04/17.x and/or Arch-Antergos and in order to get games running with the latest stable(!) Dxvk-Wine open a terminal and enter 1... 2... 3...
Note: That such a tutorial should also include the proper functioning GPU-driver-installation both for Nvidia and AMD, since doitsujin seemingly (and from his point of view sufficiently) lists merely drivers which cause issues on github, yet a common user like me would explicitly need to be told which ones do work and which to avoid under any circumstance.

Thanks you very much! Kudos and looking forward!
Cecco

Let me allow to quote myself to help you with a tutorial.

Quoting: cRaZy-bisCuiT
Quoting: Pompesdesky
Quoting: cRaZy-bisCuiTThere is a Lutris script, for example for Battlefield 4.

On the other hand I don't get why people claim it's hard to install DXVK. It's actually, as mentioned before, pretty easy. Create a Wine Prefix and either install DXVK via script in that or just copy over the two DLLs. Nothing hard about that.

You just can't say that's easy. For any average Windows user for whom everything has always been just a double click away this can be a show stopper. Even for me that's not easy, I consider myself an advanced user as I used to handle Windows very well and have managed to game on Linux for more than 2 years now.

But when you say "create a Wine Prefix" I know that will require me to search the Web to find out how to do it, it'll most likely take me half an hour or more to understand and do that. Then I'll have to install DXVK via script, which again is not easier than a double click, and then again copy 2 DLLs and put them in a probably hidden folder.

Maybe you're in there for so long that you don't see why people claim some things are hard to do in Linux ^_^

Oh lord, please don't get me wrong, this message is not exactly targeted at you or someone specific, but as mentioned before it's easy. It will take you less than a minute. And if you consider yourself an advanced windows user, you should have knowledge about the cmd / power shell, thus not being afraid of the terminal. Even if you google for "How to create a wine prefix." the first result will already tell you. This will take you 5 minutes of googling on how to create one and maybe 5 more on how to make use of it.

Assuming you use a debian based distro (Debian, Ubuntu, some more...) open a terminal (CRTL + T) you could do it like this:

How to deploy a wine prefix & install DXVK

1. Create Wine-Prefix (64bit / x64 in this case)
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.dxvk" wine wineboot

Note: The prefix is named "dxvk" like this. You could name it however you so desire.

2. Download dxvk-Release (0.42 in this case)
wget https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v0.42/dxvk-0.42.tar.gz

3. Extract the archive and change into the x64 directory
tar -xvf  dxvk-0.42.tar.gz && cd dxvk-0.42/x64/

4. Install dxvk in your desired Wineprefix
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.dxvk" ./setup_dxvk.sh

At this point you are already done. Now you can execute e.g. .exe-files in this prefix:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.dxvk" wine BLAHBLAH.exe

If you don't want to type the prefix in all the time, just do:
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.dxvk"

...and as long as the terminal is open you will always refer to this prefix.

How to deploy a wine prefix & install DXVK in one command
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.dxvk" wine wineboot && wget https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v0.42/dxvk-0.42.tar.gz && tar -xvf  dxvk-0.42.tar.gz && cd dxvk-0.42/x64/ && WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.dxvk" ./setup_dxvk.sh

...which will only take a few seconds.
Mohandevir May 3, 2018
Quoting: Avehicle7887
Quoting: Mohandevir
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: MohandevirTotally noob in _GL_NextGenCompiler... Is this a xorg.conf parameter? How do you configure that?

It's an environment viariable. Set it to 0 when launching the game:

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0

In Wine... Duh!

I'm quick on the pick-up if you tell me often enough. Lol!

If you launch your game from a bash script (.sh file), you can add it in. An example of my launch script for Path of Exile in Wine:

Quote#!/bin/bash
cd "`dirname "$0"`/.."
export __GL_NextGenCompiler=0
export WINEDEBUG=-all
export WINEARCH=win64
export WINEPREFIX="$PWD/data"
cd "$PWD/data/drive_c/PoE"
"../../../bin/wine64" ./PathofExile.exe & disown

This way the environment variable is applied automatically at launch.

Awesome! Thanks!

For the record, 396.24 seems to take care of the performance regression, but... And there is a big but... I see flashing water textures over the dirt trails, in Crow's Perch. With __GL_NextGenCompiler=0, everything works fine.
[quote=Mohandevir][quote=Avehicle7887][quote=Mohandevir][quote=Shmerl][quote=Mohandevir][quote=cRaZy-bisCuiT]

@cRaZy-bisCuiT

Thank you very much! Since these instructions are truly plain and simple - and among the clearest I hitherto found on the web - I actually followed them already last weekend when trying to get dxvk running in a vanilla Ubuntu 16.04.

Wine-prefixing (wine 3.6 staging), dxvk-extraction and game-installation into that new prefix worked quite fine.
Dxvk also seems to run, since I can activate the Dxvk-Hud (with version, fps, memory etc.), but as soon as a game attempts to access DX11, I end up with a system freeze of the kind described under doitsujin's dxvk/issues/251.

So is there anything else I have to do? Copy some dlls or change something in winecfg?
Is Mesa 17.3.3, which I am running, the troublemaker, what other AMD-driver ought I to use? What AMD-driver do you employ, Biscuit?
[quote=Mohandevir][quote=Avehicle7887][quote=Mohandevir][quote=Shmerl][quote=Mohandevir][quote=cRaZy-bisCuiT]

PS: Since this is @Shmerl's Witcher-Thread, and I do not wish to spam it with general Dxvk-travails, I may try running Witcher3 on my system and then post results. Yet I shall have to re-download the entire game from GOG overnight.
rstrube May 3, 2018
Hi Folks,

I wanted to provide an update on my efforts to get the Witcher 3 running on Fedora 28 (just upgraded). I was able to successfully get everything working with Wine Staging 3.7 and DXKV 0.42, but there was a specific step that I performed that might help others.

I'm not sure how many people dual boot, but I no longer use Windows so I was unable to install the Witcher 3 on Windows and simply copy over the files. What I ended up needing to to is this:

1. Create a new wine prefix (Wine Staging 3.7)
2. Run the GOG installer for the Witcher 3 (note that at the end of the installation it also installs a C++ redistributable package - which I believe it what causes the problems I was experiencing).
3. Copy the entire Witcher 3 directory and all it's files to a location outside the prefix.
4. Delete the wine prefix.
4. Create another new wine prefix (Wine Staging 3.7)
5. Move the Witcher 3 directory into the new "clean" wine prefix
6. Setup DXVK (I simply copied the DLLs to c:/windows/system32)
7. Use winecfg to set d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll to "native".
8. Run the game.

I think the key was creating a new "clean" wine prefix without the C++ restributable package, and to only have the Witcher 3 data files in that prefix.

Hope this helps others!
Shmerl May 3, 2018
Quoting: rstrube2. Run the GOG installer for the Witcher 3 (note that at the end of the installation it also installs a C++ redistributable package - which I believe it what causes the problems I was experiencing).

Are you using GOG classic installer or Galaxy enabled one? I've always used the classic installer and never had this issue.
rstrube May 4, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: rstrube2. Run the GOG installer for the Witcher 3 (note that at the end of the installation it also installs a C++ redistributable package - which I believe it what causes the problems I was experiencing).

Are you using GOG classic installer or Galaxy enabled one? I've always used the classic installer and never had this issue.

Yup! I was using the Galaxy enabled installer, although I chose specifically to not install the GOG Galaxy client (customized the installation process). That explains the problems I was having...

Man, what a silly mistake. Do you think I should reinstall using the classic installer? Everything appears to be working at this point.
Shmerl May 4, 2018
Quoting: rstrubeDo you think I should reinstall using the classic installer? Everything appears to be working at this point.

I don't think you need it now, but keep it in mind for future installations.
Cecco_d_Ascoli May 4, 2018

Alright, following cRaZy-bisCuiT's instructions one by one in a new Wine 3.6-staging prefix, into which I installed TW3 GOTY via the classic GOG installer (i.e. not Galaxy), the Witcher starts and the menu with background campfire animation looks fine at 60fps.
Yet, alas, as soon as I commence e.g. 'Blood and Wine' I see this:
![](file:///home/galland/Bilder/Dxvk_Witcher3_Testrun_2018-05-04 11-28-10.png)

(disabling all TW3 post-processing options doesn't help either)

No crashes or freezes this time, I can exit via menu, change settings and restart as I like.

Both dxvk-hud and console info put out:
AMD RADV TONGA (LLVM 5.0.0), Driver: 17.2.8, Vulkan: 1.0.42

But console output starts with this warning and produces stacks of errors as these:
WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
[...]
err: D3D11Device::CreateGeometryShaderWithStreamOutput: Not implemented
[...]
err: D3D11Device::CreateBuffer: D3D11_BIND_STREAM_OUTPUT not supported
[...]
../../../src/compiler/spirv/spirv_to_nir.c:2737 WARNING: Unsupported SPIR-V capability: SpvCapabilityImageCubeArray

So I suppose something must be amiss or I should switch from AMD RADV to another driver.
Any advice, help, hint would be most welcome.
Much obliged.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.