Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «102/178»
  Go to:
Avehicle7887 May 13, 2018
It seems like Wine 3.8 + DXVK 0.50 don't play nicely together, Witcher 3 almost freezes my system entirely, could barely switch to a tty console to kill the process. I also tried running the game with OpenGL to make sure and it works fine minus the low performance.

-------------
Disregard the above post (it works fine with Wine 3.8 and DXVK 0.50).

I just found out that with the "Allow Flipping" option turned on in the Nvidia Settings Panel, it affects the game in a very negative way. So if you turn it on for whatever reason and Witcher 3 magically starts freezing your system, make sure the option is turned off.
guitarist May 14, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlAh, I see it's only needed for those demos. TW3 is starting now without it! Thanks for the hint.
Hi, I'm new here.
Could you explain (in elementary language!) how did you solve your problem? I think that I have the exact same problem.

002e:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
002e:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
002e:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
002e:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 002e), starting debugger...

Any suggestion?
Shmerl May 14, 2018
Quoting: guitaristAny suggestion?

What are you running exactly? What is your distro, Wine and GPU / driver? I think your Wine simply has no built in Vulkan support like the error suggests. Some didn't catch up yet. Either install Wine with Vulkan enabled, or build it yourself with Vulkan support.
Shmerl May 18, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: sebishIn debian testing repository, wine (3.7) build with vulkan. It's work's fine with dxvk.
So its just an SID issue!

It doesn't make sense for Sid to have Vulkan disabled, and for testing to have it enabled.
Shmerl May 18, 2018
But it's disabled in Sid indeed:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=wine-development&arch=amd64&ver=3.7-1&stamp=1524892416&raw=0

checking for -lvulkan... not found
configure: libvulkan 64-bit development files not found, Vulkan won't be supported.

I recommend you to file a bug for wine-development package in Debian.
Shmerl May 18, 2018
Actually, there is a bug about it already: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=896928
Shmerl May 22, 2018
Quoting: GuestTW 3 runs really good on my system (ten years old AMD Phenom 8450 and a GTX 1050 2GB) via DXVK and Debian Testing

Besides missing stream output it runs almost perfectly now.

Quoting: GuestIt would be nice if there was some framework officially maintained by GitHub pages that allows easy plug and play of a donation page for open source projects. I would like to give a donation to Philip Rebohle.

He said in the past that he doesn't need such donations, which suggests that someone is already backing the project.
Shmerl May 22, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: ShmerlBesides missing stream output it runs almost perfectly now.
err: D3D11Device::CreateBuffer: D3D11_BIND_STREAM_OUTPUT not supported

I assume that you mean this problem. How does it affect the gameplay?

Distortions of various models in the game. See:

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/138#issuecomment-371898592
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/135
TheRiddick May 25, 2018
My 1080ti is almost enough for 4k 60fps with high settings. Its like 80fps at 1440p then 45fps at 2180p, so close. Still playable at 45fps, it does have dips down to 37fps however.

If AMD flop on their next release then I'm sure the 1180 will handle 4k better. Under windows the 1080ti does fine at 4k and gets 60fps with high+ settings most the time but there are games like KCD that bring it to avg 50fps (on medium+).

Guess its too hard to optimize games for 60fps at 4k. Surprisingly fallout4 gives me 50-60fps, a game that is plagued with optimization issues!
rstrube May 26, 2018
@Shmerl: have you checked out wine-staging 3.9 yet? I'm curious if the performance is good enough to go back to Wine3d? The graphical artifacts caused by vulkan lacking stream output support are the only thing keeping the Witcher 3 from being a near-perfect experience on Linux.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.