Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Pangaea commented on 8 March 2019 at 4:30 pm UTC

Don't know if this affects anything in the Witcher 3, as it runs more or less perfectly already, but I got notified about an Nvidia driver upgrade (to 418.43), which contains this in the changelog:

• Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause visual corruption on some Vulkan titles. This bug was particularly prevalent on DXVK titles.

Thanks for the tip about that mod. I'm not using it yet, but it looks pretty nice. Have thought about a mod that zooms out the minimap a bit, as it's not very useful that zoomed in, but for now the only mod I've employed is one that disabled the storybooks videos when loading saves. Those got annoying pretty fast, albeit really cool the first time I saw it.

Shmerl commented on 8 March 2019 at 5:08 pm UTC

It's generally a good idea to always keep drivers up to date, unless there are known regressions. So just update to every new version that comes out.

Shmerl commented on 15 March 2019 at 4:48 pm UTC

The newest release of amdvlk Vulkan driver is finally handling TW3 without crashing. Performance is slightly better than radv:

amdvlk:

radv:

If using amdvlk, don't forget to enable disk shader cache, it's off by default (only runtime cache is used if you don't enable it):

in
$HOME/.config/amdPalSettings.cfg
ShaderCacheMode 2

Cache is stored in: $HOME/.cache/AMD/LlpcCache

YoRHa-2B commented on 17 March 2019 at 6:08 pm UTC

That's nice and all, but amdvlk has broken rendering on my Polaris GPU. Sometimes it renders seemingly random geometry, and since the latest update, vegetation has flickering squares on it.

On RADV you can improve performance by setting dxvk.useEarlyDiscard = True. This is enabled by default for ANV as well as AMDVLK and the -PRO driver, but not for RADV because it triggers a GPU hang in Nier. Yields one or two FPS when there's a lot of vegetation on screen.

Shmerl commented on 17 March 2019 at 6:15 pm UTC

YoRHa-2BThat's nice and all, but amdvlk has broken rendering on my Polaris GPU. Sometimes it renders seemingly random geometry, and since the latest update, vegetation has flickering squares on it.

Looks like some reported other issues with Polaris and amdvlk in TW3 as well:
https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/74

YoRHa-2BOn RADV you can improve performance by setting dxvk.useEarlyDiscard = True. This is enabled by default for ANV as well as AMDVLK and the -PRO driver, but not for RADV because it triggers a GPU hang in Nier. Yields one or two FPS when there's a lot of vegetation on screen.

Interesting, I'll give it a try. Does it hang with any other games? Could be some llvm/amdgpu bug.

Shmerl commented on 17 March 2019 at 6:29 pm UTC

Adding dxvk.useEarlyDiscard = True helped a bit for radv (around +1 fps for me on average). amdvlk is still a bit ahead (+3 fps to radv with early discard). That's not a lot, so they are comparable, which shows that radv is in good shape overall.

I'm also using a kernel with bulk moves in amdgpu, which were disabled in 5.0. I hope they'll come back before 5.1 release:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_vm.c#n655

YoRHa-2B commented on 17 March 2019 at 6:58 pm UTC

QuoteDoes it hang with any other games? Could be some llvm/amdgpu bug.
It's known to be an llvm bug. Thing is, I cannot enable that option as long as it hangs **any** game.

Shmerl commented on 3 May 2019 at 12:11 am UTC

Exploring the rooftops of the Crow's Perch. I managed to get into that tallest tower actually, but not on its roof.

MartinPL commented on 4 May 2019 at 3:15 pm UTC

I beat base game on 100% without any problems, but in Toussaint i got like ~3 freezes (not anymore), and constant problem with stutters when moving mouse after playing ~40m - 1h. ?

Spoiler, click me
Antergos / Arch
Proton 4.2-3
GeForce GTX 1070 (NVIDIA 418.56)

UPDATE:
I suspect alt-tabbing or some steam-native problems on Arch.

Dunc commented on 5 May 2019 at 12:41 am UTC

MartinPLI suspect alt-tabbing or some steam-native problems on Arch.
Could be. I was apprehensive about Touissant after hearing some horror stories, but it worked perfectly for me. No issues at all. Arch, GTX 750, switching to a 960 in the middle of playing through it*, same driver (maybe the previous one; I finished the game about a month ago). The only major difference is that I was using vanilla Wine (and Openbox; so that might be your alt-tab issue).

Oddly enough, I intended to buy it on Steam to register a Linux sale, but missed the winter sale by literally a couple of hours and went to GOG instead. Maybe I lucked out there.

*With a literal doubling of the framerate. (Going off-topic here - and it's not even a new card - but the 960's a weird upgrade over the 750. Some games show virtually no improvement at all, while others - like this - are spectacularly better.)

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • MMOre Fun: „Guild Wars 2“ (via Wine & D9VK)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts