You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! We will also never show adverts to anyone who supports GamingOnLinux! Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
MartinPL commented on 6 October 2017 at 10:14 am UTC

Yep fps is still pretty low but game run much much smoother on nvidia. (~18 fps on 1440p uber, ~38 fps 720p low; cpu and gpu usage ~50%), if someone is intrest i can make video of this.
Also wine team want some feedback https://dev.wine-staging.com/patches/204/

Shmerl commented on 8 October 2017 at 1:30 am UTC

MartinPLYep fps is still pretty low but game run much much smoother on nvidia. (~18 fps on 1440p uber, ~38 fps 720p low; cpu and gpu usage ~50%), if someone is intrest i can make video of this.
Also wine team want some feedback https://dev.wine-staging.com/patches/204/

On AMD framerate is very good. I'm still waiting for anyone with Vega GPU to post some results. I didn't get one yet.

And another shader cache idea? Not bad.

Shmerl commented on 8 October 2017 at 7:25 pm UTC

gojul
Shmerl
gojulTried TW3 and still does not work for me. Will try later.

Feel free to describe what's not working in TW3 thread. It should work now both for Mesa and Nvidia blob.

First of all, I use wine-development and not wine staging, latest version of course, 2.18 at the time of writing.

Now here's the output I get when running TW3 :
LANG=C WINEPREFIX=/home/julien/.wine wine /mnt/misc3/wine_drive_c/GOG\ Games/The\ Witcher\ 3\ Wild\ Hunt/bin/x64/witcher3.exe fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x213f030,0x00000000), stub! fixme:dxgi:dxgi_check_feature_level_support Ignoring adapter type. fixme:dxgi:dxgi_device_init Ignoring adapter type. fixme:d3d11:device_parent_create_swapchain_texture device_parent 0x985e0, container_parent 0x98a80, wined3d_desc 0x213ec50, texture flags 0, wined3d_texture 0xe5190 partial stub! fixme:d3d11:device_parent_create_swapchain_texture Implement DXGI<->wined3d usage conversion. fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x17fce580 (nil)): stub fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2431878) stub fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x2345768) stub

Even after completely resetting Wine the same happens.

My system :
Debian 9 (Stretch) AMD64 w/ latest updates, 9.2 at the time of writing.
Intel Core i7 4790
32 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1070 w/ 375.82 blob.

Using under KDE with locale fr_FR.UTF-8

Not sure why you are trying to use Wine devel. It's not going to work, or at least work properly. What's your result with staging, or devel + minimal set of needed patches?

Shmerl commented on 9 October 2017 at 6:58 am UTC

Are hounds of the Wild Hunt supposed to be invisible or it's a bug?

Shmerl commented on 10 October 2017 at 9:41 pm UTC

Opened a bug here.

beko commented on 17 October 2017 at 9:41 pm UTC

I became weak. After buying no game without native Linux version for years I couldn't resist any more on this gem. The Witcher 3 GOTY was dead cheap on GOG.com so I gave it a spin. Works reasonable good with Wine-Staging 2.18 on my rig. Well, I'll be in my bunk.

You must be logged in to see this section!

Shmerl commented on 17 October 2017 at 9:46 pm UTC

bekoWorks reasonable good with Wine-Staging 2.18 on my rig.

Note that with Nvidia blob performance is suboptimal at present. AMD / Mesa perform much better for TW3 in Wine.

And by the way, TW2 port is quite good, not a disaster. At least if you played the current version.

14 commented on 18 October 2017 at 4:42 am UTC

I played TW2 entirely in Linux from start to finish. I think I had one crash the whole campaign.

Shmerl commented on 19 October 2017 at 3:12 am UTC

Did anyone manage to run Script Merger for TW3 in Wine? It uses a bunch of FOSS tools, so I wonder why the didn't make the merger itself open source.

beko commented on 19 October 2017 at 7:46 am UTC

ShmerlNote that with Nvidia blob performance is suboptimal at present. AMD / Mesa perform much better for TW3 in Wine.
I really can't complain. Fought with the movement controls but that seems to be a common issue. Found many posts discussing this. Tweaking platformgameplay.ini and forcing it in the options to 30fps fixed this for me too. Now it's responsive and I can actually control without jumping off cliffs all the time.

Still fiddling with the 3d settings but I'm also good with the current result.
QuoteAnd by the way, TW2 port is quite good, not a disaster. At least if you played the current version.
Please don't dig this out again. I was there and it needed months to work out all the issues. People were playing to that date with just wine already and had a better experience. Like me.

This is my first try with TW3 and wine-staging and while I know that wine came a long way it seems to be the perfect moment to give it a spin. This works _now_ better then the TW2 port ever did for me before I lost interest in playing it at all on Linux.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook