Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «52/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 5, 2017
Quoting: hilparaThanks Shmerl! I got it working with your scripts. The only downside at the moment is, that the patches includes lot of stuff already implemented in master and requires a lot of work to get it work.

Yeah, you'd need to skip mips patch, and surely not to apply whole staging.
Shmerl Dec 5, 2017
The water is good using Wine master now, so you don't need mips patch from staging anymore, which makes things much simpler to apply. I updated the instructions.
Shmerl Dec 6, 2017
Looks like deferred context patch isn't really needed. So amount of staging patches basically is now reduced to one. See if removing deferred context improves performance for Nvidia.
beko Dec 6, 2017
Quoting: bekoWill try but I doubt this is related (this time). IIRC I did try this before but it won't hurt to do so again. ty
Follow up: Seems to work much better.

So I'll add gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false to my startup script.
hilpara Dec 8, 2017
So my Witcher 3 worked nicely once as I wrote earlier. I wanted to play it today and now I'll get an error:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bd1be00 "/home/user/build/wine-git/source/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 002d, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec). Any ideas?
hilpara Dec 8, 2017
The Witcher works still with lutris. I also made some tests with GALLIUMHUD and I don't know what to think of the results. In a village (the very first village) I have FPS around 20-26, GPU load 60 and CPU0-3 40-60. Why doesn't my GPU load go to 100 when the CPU is not limiting? CPU is i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz and GPU Radeon R9 270X (I'm waiting for my RX580).
andda715 Dec 8, 2017
CPU is limiting, task manager etc doesn't show the whole truth.

Threads are continuously spawned and rescheduled on the different cores. But due to current wine implementation - singleton global shared lock, not enough of them can run in parallel (utilize your 4 cores). This together with a lot of data movement between the GPU and CPU is causing all CPUs to either a) wait for data transfers or b) wait for a mutex to be released (the global lock mentioned earlier). There is a very high activity with patches etc so this might be improved in the future. :-)

Looks like wine-csmt or wine in general is very CPU limited - read: single core performance - when running Witcher 3 at the moment.
malek69 Dec 8, 2017
Witcher 3 wine 3.0
View video on youtube.com
vs
wine 3.0 + wined3d-buffer_create
View video on youtube.com
JudasIscariot Dec 9, 2017
Quoting: hilparaSo my Witcher 3 worked nicely once as I wrote earlier. I wanted to play it today and now I'll get an error:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bd1be00 "/home/user/build/wine-git/source/dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 002d, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec). Any ideas?

I think you are running into this bug.
hilpara Dec 9, 2017
Reading the bug description, I still don’t know what to do. It seams that it happens only sometimes and it‘s quite rare. I‘ll try to make a new prefix and hope that it helps.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.