Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «66/178»
  Go to:
drlamb Feb 9, 2018
Thank you for that. Got a bit busy it seems but I was finally able to get around to trying this. I successfully applied the patch you made, enabled CSMT, mesa-threading, and ran the game. It does indeed fix the cave entrances issue however I noticed that the audio was slightly popping. It's nowhere near as bad as when I attempted to run TW3 using stock 3.1 wine, but it is there and I don't recall experiencing it on 2.21-staging. I can only really hear it if a scene is quiet or I'm using my witcher senses.

I then set out to apply the second patch referenced (Shader parameter caching) and rebuild wine. The build process failed with the second patch applied. I'm going to rebuild wine with only your patch for now.
Shmerl Feb 9, 2018
I didn't test the shader caching patch, so can't comment on it. I suppose it's also behind Wine master.

Regarding audio - I'm not sure. I thought it was fixed with some Wine commits that obsoleted similar staging patches (see here. Also, try restarting pulseaudio for a test?

If you still hear it, please open a new bug.

And if nothing else works, try doing this (for your Witcher wine prefix):

winetricks xact_jun2010

To run winetricks against your prefix and Wine version you need to set some variables as well, but you probably know about that.
andda715 Feb 11, 2018
Hi,

If using PulseAudio reducing the audio latency solves to popping/crackling sound for me:

export PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=10 (or similar)

Might need to start wine/steam from that shell and/or restart pulse.

/Anders
Shmerl Feb 11, 2018
Quoting: andda715If using PulseAudio reducing the audio latency solves to popping/crackling sound for me:

export PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=10 (or similar)

Might need to start wine/steam from that shell and/or restart pulse.

Yeah, but I'm a bit surprised it's a problem on such a good CPU as Threadripper.
andda715 Feb 11, 2018
I'm pretty sure the above is just a bug in PulseAudio that shows up in Witcher?
The crackling/popping happens even in loading, menu (before game) and paused (or similar) when there is zero load on both the CPU and the GPU.
Might be related to AMD CPUs still, but not due to "performance".

EDIT: I've lost count in all the bugs in PulseAudio - been better last year or so but still feels like something a kid programmer whipped together during a summer of code first time coding. :D
malek69 Feb 15, 2018
Today wine master fps 1-2 winetricks glsl=enabled csmt=on
View video on youtube.com
, wine +wined3d-buffer_create 14-20 fps
View video on youtube.com
@Shmerl any idea? https://dev.wine-staging.com/patches/submission/269/
Shmerl Feb 15, 2018
I'll test it later today.
drlamb Feb 15, 2018
If I get some time this weekend I'll test as well. Though my results will be different due to me using mesa with AMD.
andda715 Feb 15, 2018
Just did a clean build based on 389c3ad comctl32/button: Fix paint handler check when theming is on.

With
../wine/configure --enable-win64 --prefix=/opt/wine-build CFLAGS="-O4" CC="gcc-7"
and
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib32 ../wine/configure --with-wine64=../wine-build --prefix=/opt/wine-build CC="gcc-7"

Won't launch, just a black screen, hangs, and the following error message:
00c4:err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 1712 bytes in thread 00c4 eip 000000007bc65c29 esp 000000003b020f60 stack 0x3b020000-0x3b021000-0x3b220000

Any ideas? Haven't built manually since 3.0 was released.
Won't have time to bisect. :-/
Avehicle7887 Feb 15, 2018
I built normal Wine 3.1 last weekend without any patches, it provided same results as malek. GTX 1060 / 384.111 - 3fps max
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.