Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
In 2018 Linux will become a serious gaming OS, here's why:
rstrube May 26, 2017
It's truly a great time to be a Linux gamer, and the future looks brighter than ever. I've tried create a well reasoned argument for Linux becoming a serious gaming OS in 2018. Below are my main points:

1. Wayland switch will be complete: X11 has been constant and venerable presence on Linux desktops for decades, but that's beginning to change in 2017. The reasons for moving from X11 to Wayland are numerous, and will free Linux from legacy trappings that have held it back for years. Hopefully 2018 will mark Wayland becoming the de facto display protocol and help to greatly simplify desktop computing on Linux as a whole.

2. Vulkan API will become mainstream: Vulkan provides a modern API designed to be cross-platform that takes advantage of multi-core CPUs. Prior to Vulkan the OpenGL vs Direct X choice was stark, and many game developers stuck with Direct X, making the prospect of porting to Linux arduous. Vulkan will be used on Windows, Linux, and mobile OSs like Android. It offers an excellent value proposition for developers and will hopefully lead to more Linux ports due to lower effort required. It also makes it easier to run games via WINE.

Example: DOOM (2016) runs really well in Linux using WINE and Vulkan. Although Bethesda is unlikely to port this title, having it built using Vulkan made it that much easier to get up and running in WINE.

3. Mesa and AMD Drivers: Both Mesa and AMD drivers have been improving at an extremely rapid pace. Hopefully by 2018 the AMD's DC code will have been mainlined in the kernel providing a much more reliable graphics stack.

4. WINE Improvements: WINE is kicking ass and should (by 2018) be able to run many games that don't have a native Linux port. It's incredible what the developers have been up to. Just look at the latest Wine Staging 2.9 release.

5. Gnome is now the standard Linux Desktop: Now I realize this statement will cause some people to go ballistic. So let me couch it by saying that I in NO WAY am advocating for removing the choice and flexibility we currently enjoy on Linux. I think it's vital that we continue having alternative choices, but at the same time I recognize the benefits to having a "standard" DE. Much in the way you can install Steam on unsupported distros, having a "standard" DE will not stop technical users from using whatever they want. It will, however, make it much easier for people switching to Linux to get their feet wet. The fact is that Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora have all selected Gnome as their default DE. Having a standard will make supporting games on Linux less daunting and easier to test. Having alternative choices will keep competition alive and force Gnome to stay innovative.

5a. Unity is dead: See above

6. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be released: Love it or hate it, we cannot downplay the impact of Ubuntu on Linux, especially for new users. Ubuntu is the only distribution (other than Steam OS) that is supported by Steam, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

18.04 will mark a pivotal LTS release that will come along at the perfect time. It should be using Wayland and Gnome by default, and hopefully Mesa and the Nvidia and AMD drivers will be in tip top shape. It marks the convergence of so many seismic shifts in Linux, and will be absolutely critical for the future of Linux gaming.

Disclaimer: I currently use Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, but in the past I have used: Slackware, Gentoo (for two years actually!), Fedora, and Ubuntu. I stopped using Gentoo after a system update broke my entire system.

6. Steam OS 3.0 will be released: Believe it or not, Valve is still working on Steam OS. In fact they just had a major beta release. Steam OS will be released after Debian 9.0 is officially released (which should be sometime in 2017). It will use the latest graphics stacks and drivers, and mark a new platform for game developers to target. Yes,Steam OS hasn't gained traction, but it represents the "long game" strategy for Valve and is critically important to them (especially in the wake of Windows 10 S).

7. Windows 10 S: Windows 10 S should put the fear of god into Valve and GOG. Tim Sweeney spoke about this in mid-2016 and it's playing out exactly the way he predicted link.

At this point a gamer can still pay $50 to install Steam, but how many casual gamers will be lazy and just buy the game on the Windows Store? This is the single most critical threat to companies like Valve and GOG, and it's why Valve has been preparing for years. 2018 will be a transformative year, either Linux becomes a serious contender, or Microsoft will dominate gaming for decades.

I think gamers are also itching for an alternative OS. Windows 10 has not been well received and Windows 10 S even worse so. This is a golden opportunity for Linux to increase its user base - especially amongst gamers.

8. Game Engine Linux Support: Both the Unity game engine (not to be confused with Ubuntu's Unity) and the Unreal Engine contain to improve their Linux support. Given the popularity of these two engines, it can only be a good thing for Linux gaming.

If you've stuck with me this long, thank you! I look forward to your opinions and I hope you're as excited about Linux gaming as I am.
FredO May 26, 2017
Quoting: GuestNice troll!

Troll? What exactly do you find trolling about this post? I see somebody who is excited about where Linux gaming is going, and that's just fine in my book.
Liam Dawe May 26, 2017
Quoting: GuestNice troll!
Don't auto assume an excited user is trolling, while exciting times we do have a long way to go.
rstrube May 26, 2017
I was definitely not trying to troll, and I also agree that Linux has a long way to go. I'm hoping that 2018 will mark the beginning of Linux becoming a more serious gaming OS.
damarrin May 26, 2017
I like your enthusiasm.
Ehvis May 26, 2017
An integrated Windows Store is an anti-trust lawsuit waiting to happen. A suit that may even be extended to Android and iOS.

Practically Valve does have a playing card though. Their 30% cut. Lowering that to 15% for working multiplatform games would be a pretty decent incentive.
melkemind May 26, 2017
I have to deal with Windows machines daily at work, and it's truly agonizing. For gaming, Linux makes a better platform because, if nothing else, it offers simplicity. I've seen Windows completely interrupt a game in progress to announce some insignificant task that needed to be done. It's intrusive and overbearing, and the privacy issues with Windows 10 just make it worse.

I sincerely hope you're right. There's no doubt Linux should be the future of PC gaming, but it will be up to the industry to make it happen.
Ketil May 26, 2017
Point 5 isn't very relevant. Gnome is just the default option on multiple distros, it is not likely to take the majority(over 50%) of the shares anytime soon, and it's not a good idea to make closed source games depend on any DE directly. As much as possible it is better to rely on standards than on specific implementation, and cross DE libraries are better than DE specific stuff. DEs are likely to implement standards, but not quirks of other DEs, so it is important not to rely on those quirks. Besides the DE with the quirk itself, might fix it, and it would be bad if that broke any external software.

At minimum, a game developer should either use only cross-DE libraries(like GTK, SDL, qt), or test on multiple DEs so they are sure they don't depend on a DE specific feature or quirk. It is much easier with cross-distro support using the same software than cross software support. The libraries GTK, SDL, qt, etc, take care of those cross software differences, but you have to use it.

On this site, only 21.53% use gnome, which is less than KDE, and even if you combine it with the number of unity users, it's still only 36%.
rstrube May 27, 2017
Quoting: KetilPoint 5 isn't very relevant. Gnome is just the default option on multiple distros, it is not likely to take the majority(over 50%) of the shares anytime soon, and it's not a good idea to make closed source games depend on any DE directly. As much as possible it is better to rely on standards than on specific implementation, and cross DE libraries are better than DE specific stuff. DEs are likely to implement standards, but not quirks of other DEs, so it is important not to rely on those quirks. Besides the DE with the quirk itself, might fix it, and it would be bad if that broke any external software.

At minimum, a game developer should either use only cross-DE libraries(like GTK, SDL, qt), or test on multiple DEs so they are sure they don't depend on a DE specific feature or quirk. It is much easier with cross-distro support using the same software than cross software support. The libraries GTK, SDL, qt, etc, take care of those cross software differences, but you have to use it.

On this site, only 21.53% use gnome, which is less than KDE, and even if you combine it with the number of unity users, it's still only 36%.

Good point! I do understand that the DE has little relevance in terms of a user-s ability to run games, but I do think Linux has the perception of being fragmented and without any standards. Having a "standard" Linux desktop goes a long way towards alleviating this perception and would hopefully attract new users and game developers.

I did try to couch my statement, but this point has been poorly received, so perhaps I should have left it out.
MaCroX95 May 27, 2017
Quoting: rstrubeIt's truly a great time to be a Linux gamer, and the future looks brighter than ever. I've tried create a well reasoned argument for Linux becoming a serious gaming OS in 2018. Below are my main points:

1. Wayland switch will be complete: X11 has been constant and venerable presence on Linux desktops for decades, but that's beginning to change in 2017. The reasons for moving from X11 to Wayland are numerous, and will free Linux from legacy trappings that have held it back for years. Hopefully 2018 will mark Wayland becoming the de facto display protocol and help to greatly simplify desktop computing on Linux as a whole.

2. Vulkan API will become mainstream: Vulkan provides a modern API designed to be cross-platform that takes advantage of multi-core CPUs. Prior to Vulkan the OpenGL vs Direct X choice was stark, and many game developers stuck with Direct X, making the prospect of porting to Linux arduous. Vulkan will be used on Windows, Linux, and mobile OSs like Android. It offers an excellent value proposition for developers and will hopefully lead to more Linux ports due to lower effort required. It also makes it easier to run games via WINE.

Example: DOOM (2016) runs really well in Linux using WINE and Vulkan. Although Bethesda is unlikely to port this title, having it built using Vulkan made it that much easier to get up and running in WINE.

3. Mesa and AMD Drivers: Both Mesa and AMD drivers have been improving at an extremely rapid pace. Hopefully by 2018 the AMD's DC code will have been mainlined in the kernel providing a much more reliable graphics stack.

4. WINE Improvements: WINE is kicking ass and should (by 2018) be able to run many games that don't have a native Linux port. It's incredible what the developers have been up to. Just look at the latest Wine Staging 2.9 release.

5. Gnome is now the standard Linux Desktop: Now I realize this statement will cause some people to go ballistic. So let me couch it by saying that I in NO WAY am advocating for removing the choice and flexibility we currently enjoy on Linux. I think it's vital that we continue having alternative choices, but at the same time I recognize the benefits to having a "standard" DE. Much in the way you can install Steam on unsupported distros, having a "standard" DE will not stop technical users from using whatever they want. It will, however, make it much easier for people switching to Linux to get their feet wet. The fact is that Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora have all selected Gnome as their default DE. Having a standard will make supporting games on Linux less daunting and easier to test. Having alternative choices will keep competition alive and force Gnome to stay innovative.

5a. Unity is dead: See above

6. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be released: Love it or hate it, we cannot downplay the impact of Ubuntu on Linux, especially for new users. Ubuntu is the only distribution (other than Steam OS) that is supported by Steam, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

18.04 will mark a pivotal LTS release that will come along at the perfect time. It should be using Wayland and Gnome by default, and hopefully Mesa and the Nvidia and AMD drivers will be in tip top shape. It marks the convergence of so many seismic shifts in Linux, and will be absolutely critical for the future of Linux gaming.

Disclaimer: I currently use Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, but in the past I have used: Slackware, Gentoo (for two years actually!), Fedora, and Ubuntu. I stopped using Gentoo after a system update broke my entire system.

6. Steam OS 3.0 will be released: Believe it or not, Valve is still working on Steam OS. In fact they just had a major beta release. Steam OS will be released after Debian 9.0 is officially released (which should be sometime in 2017). It will use the latest graphics stacks and drivers, and mark a new platform for game developers to target. Yes,Steam OS hasn't gained traction, but it represents the "long game" strategy for Valve and is critically important to them (especially in the wake of Windows 10 S).

7. Windows 10 S: Windows 10 S should put the fear of god into Valve and GOG. Tim Sweeney spoke about this in mid-2016 and it's playing out exactly the way he predicted link.

At this point a gamer can still pay $50 to install Steam, but how many casual gamers will be lazy and just buy the game on the Windows Store? This is the single most critical threat to companies like Valve and GOG, and it's why Valve has been preparing for years. 2018 will be a transformative year, either Linux becomes a serious contender, or Microsoft will dominate gaming for decades.

I think gamers are also itching for an alternative OS. Windows 10 has not been well received and Windows 10 S even worse so. This is a golden opportunity for Linux to increase its user base - especially amongst gamers.

8. Game Engine Linux Support: Both the Unity game engine (not to be confused with Ubuntu's Unity) and the Unreal Engine contain to improve their Linux support. Given the popularity of these two engines, it can only be a good thing for Linux gaming.

If you've stuck with me this long, thank you! I look forward to your opinions and I hope you're as excited about Linux gaming as I am.

It's nice to be excited, but I think you got a bit too optimistic there. Not many people look for alternatives, even those who do can't make the complete switch because:

1. They don't have the knowledge or experience to mess with the OS that isn't preinstalled by manufacturer (probably around 70% of users or more)
2. They can't leave the platform because of ONE FUCKING PIECE OF SOFTWARE like MS Office, Adobe CC, and many other - different companies have different reasons why they won't do it. MS because it doesn't want linux desktop to succeed and Adobe because they're lazy and ignorant etc..
3. Majority of games are written for Windows and it's the easiest to install them there. While they might be configurable and playable in Wine: a) The performance is worse than in Windows for most titles and b) sometimes it's confusing to configure even for me, experienced linux user not to mention people who just want to game and come from Windows
4. X11 to Wayland switch might be a bigger mess than it looks like, while Gnome is already transitioning, other DEs won't be catching up in quite a few years (I predict at least 3)
5. While most PCs still use Win7, gaming survey on Steam shows that more than 95% of Steam gamers use Win10 as their OS... which tells us that gamers don't really have a huge driving force to Linux, and PCs with still running Win7 are mostly Office PCs, Factory PCs, Hospital PCs...

As Liam said, linux is advancing but there is a long road yet to go and future is definitely uncertain, My bet is still on the multi-billion companies like MS because unfortunately that's just how this world works, there will never be all the software availible on Linux because many software manufacturers and game developers are in either hidden or visible direct relationship to MS.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.