You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
[Fixed, needs testing] Dying Light refuses to launch
schidin commented on 29 September 2018 at 10:23 pm UTC

Thank you,

what I dont understand is, that before I began trying to fix Dying Light, I didnt even have LLVM installed. I only installed this package after I saw Your video where it was needed to build MESA. But MESA was already installed on my system (and I played a lot of games without issues). So I just wondered about the whole LLVM-problem...

Now I wonder if I just remove LLVM, install LLVM-SVN, build MESA-GIT without installing and just let Dying Light use this, since this does not effect my (working) system, but provides the newer LLVM-MESA-Combo to Dying Light, or is there anything I am not understanding?

Anyhow, thank you again for your extensive help on this problem!

tuubi commented on 30 September 2018 at 9:25 am UTC

schidinwhat I dont understand is, that before I began trying to fix Dying Light, I didnt even have LLVM installed. I only installed this package after I saw Your video where it was needed to build MESA. But MESA was already installed on my system (and I played a lot of games without issues). So I just wondered about the whole LLVM-problem...
I bet you did have libllvm though as it's a Mesa dependency. On Ubuntu 18.04 or Mint 19 you'd get libllvm6.0 installed by default.

EDIT: I did notice you run Manjaro. The package might be llvm-libs there?

schidin commented on 30 September 2018 at 10:39 am UTC

Ah yes you are right. But for compiling Mesa-git I still had to install Standard llvm.

matou68 commented on 30 September 2018 at 6:44 pm UTC

i have compiled Mesa 18.2.1 with LLVM 6.0.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 with glvnd disabled. Dying Light wont start. you must compile with llvm 7 or svn to avoid GPU hang.

i have do some tests with my "home compiled" Mesa 18.2.1

some game will start like tomb raider, day of infamy, serious sam 3 bfe

verdun or shadow of mordor dont start.

Mushufaza commented on 1 October 2018 at 2:55 am UTC

matou68i have compiled Mesa 18.2.1 with LLVM 6.0.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 with glvnd disabled. Dying Light wont start. you must compile with llvm 7 or svn to avoid GPU hang.

i have do some tests with my "home compiled" Mesa 18.2.1

some game will start like tomb raider, day of infamy, serious sam 3 bfe

verdun or shadow of mordor dont start.

hello, I do not understand your information, the compilation of "Mesa" is only to get two files for dying light not for the root system, if you want llvm 7 use padoka stable ppa and compile with that as described on page 14, if you use ubuntu 18.04.

the only mistake I've had, when using the "Drop Attack" skill closes the game randomly, I already sent a ticket to Techland, I played several hours without any crashes.

x_wing commented on 1 October 2018 at 1:11 pm UTC

GloriousEggrollI cannot share the libraries because they need to be compiled with the version of LLVM that exists on the system they are being used on. Also, I am not going to maintain and update the libraries every time a new version of llvm or mesa comes out. This fix is a workaround for Arch until the problem is resolved with glvnd. Also sharing compiled binaries is not secure.

I agree that everyone should be very careful when using shared objects downloaded from the web, but I think that we can believe on each other here... for now.

In the other hand, as the problem seems to be related with glvnd (which, AFAIK, is an standard way for supporting multiple OGL vendors implementations) we will not get in to LLVM version problems as it is used by the dri drivers. In other words: if replacing libGL.so and libglapi.so does the trick, then sharing this two files should be a workaround for everyone that is using the same base distro no matter the llvm version.

Either case, good catch with glvnd. I recently discovered that a local default Mesa drivers build was working and Padoka's versions were crashing the game. GLVND really fits as the source of the problem as a default meson build on mesa has glvnd disabled. Good to see that the community dig out the reason of DIDE & DL crash.

Mushufaza commented on 2 October 2018 at 12:11 am UTC

QuoteI agree that everyone should be very careful when using shared objects downloaded from the web, but I think that we can believe on each other here... for now.

In the other hand, as the problem seems to be related with glvnd (which, AFAIK, is an standard way for supporting multiple OGL vendors implementations) we will not get in to LLVM version problems as it is used by the dri drivers. In other words: if replacing libGL.so and libglapi.so does the trick, then sharing this two files should be a workaround for everyone that is using the same base distro no matter the llvm version.

Either case, good catch with glvnd. I recently discovered that a local default Mesa drivers build was working and Padoka's versions were crashing the game. GLVND really fits as the source of the problem as a default meson build on mesa has glvnd disabled. Good to see that the community dig out the reason of DIDE & DL crash.

Hi, I share your opinion, if you're interested I uploaded the "Libs" for you to try, they are compiled with llvm 7 in a Ryzen 1600, I also uploaded the last Kernel in the branch 4.18.8 based on amd-staging-drm-next, it is a delight for those who use AMDGPU, all this I use in conjunction with Obaf ppa or Padoka Stable.

Only for Ubuntu 18.04 64 bits

Dying Light Libs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12enZT4pLIH59HN7zdmwqup1PI0mD_m8a/view?usp=sharing

Kernel 4.18.8 based on amd-staging-drm-next
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jMeMc7hpzkd-6mRSLQU2zhHIZ12h8ddc/view?usp=sharing

from https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries (they are currently in branch 4.19.0 RC6, I'm waiting for the final version)

x_wing commented on 6 October 2018 at 4:39 am UTC

Mushufaza
QuoteI agree that everyone should be very careful when using shared objects downloaded from the web, but I think that we can believe on each other here... for now.

Hi, I share your opinion, if you're interested I uploaded the "Libs" for you to try, they are compiled with llvm 7 in a Ryzen 1600, I also uploaded the last Kernel in the branch 4.18.8 based on amd-staging-drm-next, it is a delight for those who use AMDGPU, all this I use in conjunction with Obaf ppa or Padoka Stable.

Only for Ubuntu 18.04 64 bits

Dying Light Libs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12enZT4pLIH59HN7zdmwqup1PI0mD_m8a/view?usp=sharing

Kernel 4.18.8 based on amd-staging-drm-next
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jMeMc7hpzkd-6mRSLQU2zhHIZ12h8ddc/view?usp=sharing

from https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries (they are currently in branch 4.19.0 RC6, I'm waiting for the final version)

Sorry I didn't answer you before. Unfortunately your .so doesn't work for me, most probably because you compiled your version optimized for your CPU (I have an Intel 3570k, while you have a Ryzen which probably have a more advanced instruction set that is used in the .so -- I get an ilegal instruction error). Anyway, by doing the preloading of libGL.so (yep, only that shared object) that I have built locally (Mesa defaults) I was able to run DL using all the other shared objects of Padoka Stable.

In case anyone want to test with my build, I leave a copy of my libGl.so here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lb206FtWBNnL4MHBSBm0N3drmHojDCel/view?usp=sharing

To test it, just unpack the file and add as game launch option of DL/DIDE: LD_PRELOAD=/PATH_WHERE_UNPACKED_THE_TAR_GZ/libGL.so.1.2.0 %command%

I tested it with Padoka stable and works fine. It may work with the Unstable version, but I can't guarantee that.

schidin commented on 6 October 2018 at 10:03 am UTC

Is there a way the developer Techland can fix this by default? Maybe we should inform them about this.

x_wing commented on 6 October 2018 at 4:04 pm UTC

schidinIs there a way the developer Techland can fix this by default? Maybe we should inform them about this.

As somebody else mentioned in the thread, we should report problems here: http://dyinglight.support.techland.pl/en/support/solutions/articles/15000009911--ubuntu-steamos-variables-with-hardinfo-and-crash-logs

Anyway, I just send a message with our findings. Hope they can make a fix for this.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts