[Fixed, needs testing] Dying Light refuses to launch
Page: «7/16»
  Go to:
devland Jan 18, 2018
Quoting: GuestBTW: Is this a real workaround to install some kind of other steam version (snap-version)? I actually have now idea what that is and how to do this :(
I can confirm that this guide works: https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/having-steam-game-problems-on-your-distro-try-the-snap-pak-of-steam/
You can skip over the account creation and disk mounting parts.

All you need to run is:

pacaur -S snapd-git
sudo systemctl enable --now snapd.socket
sudo systemctl start snapd.refresh.timer

That installs the snap package from the AUR git repo.

sudo snap remove solus-runtime-gaming linux-steam-integration
sudo snap install --edge solus-runtime-gaming
sudo snap install --devmode --edge linux-steam-integration

That installs the Solus Steam runtime snaps.

snap run linux-steam-integration
That runs the newly installed snap version of Steam.

You can now install the game and play it after you set the compatibility workaround for the game under game properties -> set launch options.

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=450 %command%
siyia Jan 19, 2018
That's great about snapd but i cannot test that method because i am trying to run the game from a shared library in steam.Shared libraries do not seem to work with snap steam.
skyrrd Jan 21, 2018
a little update: after too much ****ing around with my system and after some distrohopping for testing i have now decided to setup a fresh install of gentoo.

The interesting part is that i am now again unable to start Dying Light (not related to lspci of course)

{20:54:20.884} INFO: [INFO] > Caught signal 2 (Interrupt).
{20:54:20.887} INFO: [INFO] > /lib64/libc.so.6(+0x34ff0) [0x7f4b240dcff0]
{20:54:20.887} INFO: [INFO] | /lib64/libc.so.6(__select+0x33) [0x7f4b24197fe3]
{20:54:20.887} INFO: [INFO] | libropengl.so(_Z25InitGpuDeviceAndVendorIDsv+0xe4) [0x7f4af0b34df4]
{20:54:20.887} INFO: [INFO] | libropengl.so(_ZN12SRendererAPI11RInitializeEPv+0x73f) [0x7f4af0b35adf]

the system is compiled with the same optimizations as before but i'm still on stock gcc (6.4) while on my old installation i updated to 7.2 and recompiled the whole system with it.

as i still have a working disk image of my old installation i should be able to find out what step exactly is needed for my system to be able to run Dying Light (but no promise it will work for other distributions)

as always i'm a bit short on time, so updates will follow infrequently
sr_ls_boy Jan 22, 2018
I tried the lspci soft link. I get a white line that creeps from left to
right, presumably a loading bar. The screen goes black and then nothing.
Ubuntu works.
devland Feb 10, 2018
The game runs pretty well in wine 3.1-1 under antergos.
tuubi Feb 10, 2018
Quoting: devlandThe game runs pretty well in wine 3.1-1 under antergos.
Were you just curious, or would you seriously rather play the Windows version on Wine than play the game with the Solus snap packages or on a supported distro? :)
devland Feb 10, 2018
Was just curious. But it's great progress. It's playable on an rx580 and a ryzen 7 at high settings.

After all the wine staging patches get merged, it should work even better.
kaymio Feb 11, 2018
After finally being able to play the game on Arch with the help of Snap and this little tutorial. https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/having-steam-game-problems-on-your-distro-try-the-snap-pak-of-steam/

It ran relatively stable, some graphical glitches, some crashes, but it was playable.

When it stopped working I thought the newest snap git version from the AUR was one step too much so I downgraded to the one it definitely ran quite well on. It still crashes with a core dump, even after disabling the steam overlay, which it doesn't like, as many games don't.

Where should I post bug reports? With the snap developers, the solus developers. I guess I don't have to bother the DL devs...
sr_ls_boy Feb 11, 2018
It works for me now, in Cross Linux from Scratch. The lspci symlink did the trick.
Since my last post I recompilied Mesa and I believe cleared my shader cache.

I get a bad stutter with the frame rate which makes it unenjoyable.
skyrrd Feb 12, 2018
Didn't try with wine yet and have honestly very little time on my hands right now. All I can say is that something did change between 13- and 17- profiles in gentoo that seem to break dying light again for me. Gotta ask egon2003 if he has already recompiled his gentoo world with new profile as well and if it's still working for him. Also interesting that newer version of the snap seem to break DL as well. Might be interesting to check what commits happened regarding gcc and glibc.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.