Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux (and me) alive. Funding me on Patreon allows us to have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed articles. Just good content for you to keep up with Linux gaming. Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
RAGE under latest WINE and MESA: does it work?
ziabice commented on 12 June 2017 at 2:33 pm UTC

Hi,
I'm in the mood for some classic FPS, and before I download 20 GB of data, does anyone of you tried RAGE under WINE using the MESA stack? Does it work? Wine's AppDB results are very old and not so useful.

Last time I tried (if I recall correctly it was several months - maybe one year - ago) the game complained about a missing extension into the graphics stack (something like "WGL", but I honestly forgot the exact problem). Note that at the time of my try Mesa + radeonsi had barely the OpenGL 4.1 compliance.

The same problem occurred with "Wolfenstein: the new order". Using the AMD Catalyst driver the game instead worked well, but with low FPS.

Some time ago, on the now defunct gearsongallium blog, I remember a post about all the tricks to do (at the time) to let the game work: you had to patch WINE source code and compile and tweak some files.

All help is appreciated!

ziabice commented on 14 June 2017 at 10:55 am UTC
whizse commented on 19 June 2017 at 4:34 pm UTC

This is the patch from Gears On Gallium:

https://pastebin.com/UGNaVreD

No idea if it applies to current Wine, or if it is enough to let you finish the full game. Do let us know if you get it working.

I would love to see a hack in Mesa for a small compatibility context specifically for id Tech games. Even modern titles like Doom 2016 needs it (unless you use Vulkan) just because they use GLEW

ziabice commented on 19 June 2017 at 7:51 pm UTC

Thank you for the patch!
Seems that it's possible to run the game using Mesa, forcing the OpenGL Core Profile via environment variables, I should try.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook