You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Witcher 2 too hard?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Jun 19, 2017
I must be missing something, I just can't beat Letho in chapter 1. Is this game too hard or is just me? After playing Shadow of Mordor and Batman, Geralt feels like a sitting duck, I get that combat is 90% dodge 10% hit. But anyway the game feels unbalanced Geralt will take massive amounts of damage and enemies will take very little damage from you especially from bosses normal enemies are really easy unless you get stab in the back. Besides if you counter attack most of the times you will get hit anyway and even if you dodge you still can get harmed. I don't know it just feels to me that this game doesn't have a clear mechanic where you press A and the result will be dodge or whatever, it just doesn't work that way it feels like random. Maybe I'm missing something but watching and comparing with some youtube videos I will take a lot more damage from Letho and do very little damage. I'm using potions and oils, maybe I don't have enough upgrades and skills to challenge him??
ziabice Jun 19, 2017
I haven't played TW2 under Linux, only under Windows, but if I recall correctly the combat wasn't that great and not so responsive. You need to carefully select skills on your player to win.

Spoiler, click me

If I recall correctly, you can't beat Letho in Chapter 1. You fight until he reaches a lower energy, then he runs away. To ease the fight prepare a lot of bombs. That fight implies lot of dodging then launching lots of signs (Quen, then Igni or Aard).
Koopacabras Jun 19, 2017
Quoting: ziabiceI haven't played TW2 under Linux, only under Windows, but if I recall correctly the combat wasn't that great and not so responsive. You need to carefully select skills on your player to win.

Spoiler, click me

If I recall correctly, you can't beat Letho in Chapter 1. You fight until he reaches a lower energy, then he runs away. To ease the fight prepare a lot of bombs. That fight implies lot of dodging then launching lots of signs (Quen, then Igni or Aard).

yes I can't beat him on normal, on easy I'll abuse him.
Shmerl Jun 20, 2017
It is hard, but not very hard if you know how to play it. I always play it on hard difficulty (otherwise it becomes too easy in later parts of the game).

Letho fight is challenging, but not as much as kayran one. Anyway, make sure to use your full witcher arsenal besides of course normal evasion tactics. Signs and bombs help a big deal (I don't remember if meditating before the fight is an option there, may be not, so potions and oils are out if I remember correctly).

You are right though, that mechanics are bit messed up. It's not fully responsive and is somewhat unpredicatable. It's a known issue with TW2.
razing32 Jun 20, 2017
The difficulty assignment in the game is f*cked.

It's stupidly hard in the beginning when you have no perks or gear to speak of and then it stabilizes out in the end , but by then you are beefed up.

I recall I always played the First Chapter on Easy only.
Koopacabras Jun 20, 2017
well I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that difficulty is completely broken. I've seen lots of complaints on forums and steam.
Shmerl Jun 20, 2017
Quoting: chancho_zombiewell I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that difficulty is completely broken. I've seen lots of complaints on forums and steam.

It gets easier if you invest in character development and also don't rush the main quest, but spend time on side quests which allows you to get better equipment and level up somewhat. If you rush the main quest, it does make it more challenging.
Koopacabras Jun 20, 2017
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: chancho_zombiewell I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that difficulty is completely broken. I've seen lots of complaints on forums and steam.

It gets easier if you invest in character development and also don't rush the main quest, but spend time on side quests which allows you to get better equipment and level up somewhat. If you rush the main quest, it does make it more challenging.

maybe I am missing something. I've never used any crafting recipes for swords, runes upgrades... maybe? When you face the drunken troll I killed him instead of doing the revenge that gets you a nice armor upgrade. And I don't have the necessary items to craft the kayran armor.
Shmerl Jun 20, 2017
You should use crafting. Swords you get that way are much better than your early ones (unless you happen to find some epic loot or buy something very expensive from merchants at that point). I didn't kill the troll (it's not Geralt like). Kayran armor I got later I think, but there are a some good armors you can buy at that point already if I remember correctly.

Also, personally I have an import of my TW1 end save, which includes Raven's Armor, which is quite helpful in the early portions of the game.

In Flotsam, the easy way to make some money is to hunt nekkers. Just clean the cave from them, and let them respawn.
Koopacabras Jun 20, 2017
I finally did it :Dlol after 2 days. I went back on the saved games and crafted the kayran armor, used all the armor enhancements I could, got a robust steel sword and used 10 whetstones and falkas blood. It was much easier on the first try with all the enhancements I beat him, the other way I made 20+ failed attemps:(
Shmerl Jun 20, 2017
Yep. Hard mode requires using alchemy and crafting to make it sensible.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.