You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Question about linux game engine compatibility.
Poll results: Best Game Engine Linux Windows Mac
Unity

9 vote(s)
75%
Other ¿?

3 vote(s)
25%
Unreal Engine

0 vote(s)
0%
Cry Engine

0 vote(s)
0%
Duck Hunt-Pr0 commented on 22 July 2017 at 11:07 pm UTC

tuubi
Duck Hunt-Pr0But anyway, Unity is still the common cause of bloatware games released today.
I don't think it is.

Ok.

Avehicle7887 commented on 23 July 2017 at 12:02 am UTC

Sticking to the topic I say if you can't build a customized engine, Unity is your best shot at multiplatform.

As for Unity itself, I don't understand why all the hate. It's popular yes, games are easy to make with it than having to write a full engine from scratch. There are a number of bad games with it but that doesn't automatically make it "the engine's fault", on the other hand there are plenty of successful games made with it and they probably wouldn't have come to Linux without it.

Duck Hunt-Pr0 commented on 23 July 2017 at 12:14 am UTC

Avehicle7887There are a number of bad games with it but that doesn't automatically make it "the engine's fault", on the other hand there are plenty of successful games made with it and they probably wouldn't have come to Linux without it.

IMO. There are also plenty of games who could've done much better without Unity.. Lion Quest and Beholder being two of them.

Both are quite awesome games, and game ideas, that no one should really regret buying..But F*CKING H3LL how they are bloated!! Both in running requirements as well as regarding installation size..

"Frames Per Second? GigaBytes? Storage Space? Threads!? RAM?? Texture Sizes!? GigaHertz? Code Optimization?? Hardware Requirement Specifications?? What are those!? Fxck it all!! There's no law against making 16 colors 8bit games by using 32bit images or having a simple 3D cube model consisting of 322 polygons textured by 6 textures each sporting 5MB!! Faulty Physics?? ROFLMAO!..Just slam that Export button and get it trough the generator dammit! Let the players sort out how to run it! W3 IZ GAMEDEVELUP3RS! If our crap doesn't run properly, let them buy a new computer! I's not like we're capable of doing any bugfixing! Heck, we rarely grasp the meaning of half of the issue-tickets we recieve! PRESS EXPORT AGAIN!" - Your Average Unity Developer

It's what's comes from having a quick-and-easy "Export" button, instead of actually play testing games, on the various platforms, prior to release.

Now..about that "learning" thingy

mirv commented on 23 July 2017 at 8:36 am UTC

It would appear that someone has something personal against Unity.

tuubi commented on 23 July 2017 at 9:51 am UTC

Duck Hunt-Pr0It's what's comes from having a quick-and-easy "Export" button, instead of actually play testing games, on the various platforms, prior to release.
Your rant has nothing to do with the quality or validity of Unity3D as a game engine, and everything to do with developer attitudes.

lucinos commented on 23 July 2017 at 2:27 pm UTC

I wonder now about a post from OP. Do they consider unity? Are they checking open source engines?

MaCroX95 commented on 23 July 2017 at 6:07 pm UTC

Unity3D probably best for Linux compatibility.

Also note that you should develop your game for cross-platform from the ground up by avoiding usage of MS specific libraries, DirectX specific functions and be careful when naming files (linux distinguishes between capital and small letters).

There have been many cases where people said they would support linux and used so many Windows specific dependencies and then it was linux's fault for having so many bugs.

Duck Hunt-Pr0 commented on 24 July 2017 at 6:32 pm UTC

mirvIt would appear that someone has something personal against Unity.

I, being Jim Sterling him-fat-self in disguise, in person will try to convey some explanation to it..

Now, back to that "learning" and "compatibility" thingy.. Allo allo!

Do you just want to learn Unity, CryEngine or Unreal, with the limits and lazy slack they each prese(n)t you; Gaining little to no knowledge of anything beyond that specific engine?

Hell, you can make a game you'll have no idea how to debug even, by just pasting code in from forums,and click Export..Knock yourself out!..Just please don't try to sell it to me for money. It's likely, and perfectly fair; The refund is going to cost you more, once it becomes apparent to both parties, me as an aggravated consumer and you as a bewildered "developer", that you have no real clue about what's actually making your own game tick or how to make it work properly.

A developer's "I don't have that problem running my game on my computer; Therefore i'll claim it doesn't exist, since i really don't know how to go about fixing it. Hopefully that guy on that forum posts a fix, and i'll try Exporting again once i copy-paste it in.."..It's just not gonna work out for either of us.

..Or, is the desire learning actual game programming (first), independent of any engine? That's where the original post discussion is at i think.

(Disclaimer: I'm not really Mr. Sterling, and all i know about Unity i learned from a short stint at a small architecture modeling/presentation company)

mirv commented on 26 July 2017 at 7:08 pm UTC

So I'll stop responding the FUD being spread here, the original poster can hopefully see that for what it is. The good news is that Cryengine look to have Vulkan support on the way, so it's something worth investigating for people wanting to use an engine with that included.

...I say investigate, because there should always be a bit of trial time to decide on the merits of each option, and decide which one suits a particular workload best.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • GOG Guest Stream: Resonance
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook