Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Looking for a Linux distro that works with a RX 480?
harshbarj Jul 25, 2017
My main gaming rig used to rock a gtx 960 and I ran either linux Mint or just pure Debian. Now I have an AMD RX 480 and no distro of linux I have tried has liked the card. Though honestly I have only tried debian based distros. I stick with Debian distros mostly because nearly every Linux program I use is distributed as a Debian Software Package.

So sadly in the 5 months since I have bought the 480, my linux drive has sat unused. I really want to get back to linux on my main gaming rig as it just feels faster and more responsive than windows 10, but I need full 3d support. Even when not playing games, I am tinkering in either Unity / UE4 or Blender. So a fully functioning card is a must.

Note, I use Linux, and only Linux on my laptops. So most of my day is still in the Linux world.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Shmerl Jul 25, 2017
I'm using Debian testing with RX 480 just fine. I do compile Mesa from source periodically, just to test latest Master with various games. But that doesn't need to replace your system Mesa packages.

See here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Building_Mesa_from_source

(That howto needs some updating, to catch up with latest Debian testing though).

What Debian did you use? I hope not stable. Also, did you install firmware-amd-graphics package?
lucinos Jul 25, 2017
In my opinion an Arch based distro would be best. Manjaro is very easy to install.

Do not forget to install steam-native so that steam can work with amd.

If you really want to stick with debian-based, ubuntu with ppa (probably mint is also compatible) is the best you can do as mentioned above.
harshbarj Jul 25, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlI'm using Debian testing with RX 480 just fine. I do compile Mesa from source periodically, just to test latest Master with various games. But that doesn't need to replace your system Mesa packages.

See here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Building_Mesa_from_source

(That howto needs some updating, to catch up with latest Debian testing though).

What Debian did you use? I hope not stable. Also, did you install firmware-amd-graphics package?

I don't know for sure, but it was likely the stable branch. I just went to Debian's site and the download I found, and likely the same place I would have downloaded from months ago, was from the stable branch.

I would have downloaded the driver directly from AMD's site and installed that. If I recall it said the same thing it said in mint, that it did not support the kernel version installed.

So I'll give the testing branch a try when I get home from work tonight.

Also thanks for the link. That will come in handy. While I am a Linux veteran (been using it since ~1998 with Redhat 5.2 I believe) I am no pro.

My gaming rig just for the curious.
ASRock Z170M Extreme4
Intel I5-6600 (Skylake Quad-Core)
XFX RX 480 8gb
16gb pc4 17000 (2x8gb)
500gb Samsung 850 EVO (windows 10 drive)
512gb Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 (Linux drive)
Shmerl Jul 25, 2017
Some ideas which might help you:

1. Don't use Debian stable for desktop in general. Better use testing which is a semi-rolling distro. Stable gets really behind, including with Mesa.
2. Don't download the driver from AMD, you don't need it anymore - you should be able to use Mesa for your gaming needs.

If you are installing recent stable though (Stretch), it should support RX 480 sufficiently to at least install the OS. You can always upgrade Debian from stable to testing, by changing your /etc/apt/sources.list accordingly, and running:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I recommend though pulling Mesa from unstable, since it's stuck there now, and not moving to testing, which is quite a useful version bump.

See https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mesa
Guest Jul 25, 2017
Using Antergos myself with my RX 480. Most things seem to be work as far as I have been able to see. A few workarounds needed for a few games, but other than that, haven't had a huge issue.
lucinos Jul 26, 2017
Also just saying that I find very hard to believe that one can not found in AUR anything he needs.
GustyGhost Jul 26, 2017
The distro family doesn't matter as much as having the right firmware, supported kernel and drivers available. I recommend firmware-amd-graphics so as not to clutter your system with the general nonfree firmware package. And for reference RX 580 works on Debian 9 stable, so a 480 should also be just fine.

EDIT: shmerl beat me to it, again.
Shmerl Jul 26, 2017
Just note that Debian's firmware-amd-graphics is missing binaries for RX 560 and 570, so you'd need to pull them from here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu if you'll ever use those cards.

That is: polaris11_k_smc.bin and polaris10_k_smc.bin. You'd need to place them in /lib/firmware/amdgpu
lucinos Jul 27, 2017
Quoting: AnxiousInfusionThe distro family doesn't matter as much as having [...]

in principle the distro family does not matter at all :)

But it can make quite a difference on how someone is getting the software. Personally I prefer Arch _and_ Debian. Debian is the best as a stable distro both because it is a really good stable distro and because of debian packages and using debian packages is really useful in this case. Debian can be used as a rolling distro but Arch is a _lot_ better. Now someone who wants to play games on amd graphics using an Arch based distro will make everything a lot _easier_ for having good results.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.