How many seasons do you think the female Doctor will last?
Several days have passed and my jaw is still on the floor.

I bet only one season. (one think that with every new doctor, by the way)
I hope to be wrong... I mean,someone finally must break the seven seasons record of Tom Baker.
Liam Dawe Aug 7, 2017
I think she will do very well, I'm excited by it. Doctor Who has needed a big change for a while.

A new Doctor and a new writer, I have high hopes.

I've liked all of them so far though, to be fair.
HadBabits Aug 7, 2017
Suppose it would happen sooner or later, though in this case it was quite later :B And to answer your question on how long she would last, if you were talking about the Youtube Comments I'd give it 3 seconds :P

Hopefully a new writer will breathe some new life in. I stopped watching after Doc 11, by the end of it I never wanted to see another Dalek or Weeping Angel again, which was a shame since they were neat before they beat them to death.

My heart is still with Tennant though <3
Colombo Aug 8, 2017
New writer? That means that Moffat is finally gone? Oh god, finally. His ability to make interesting storyarch and then do nothing with it or lead it to total boring finale was exceptional.
Guppy Aug 8, 2017
Rant free TLDR; For the first time in years I'm excited for a new Doctor who season!

<rant>

Honestly I was hoping the new doctor would be Karen Gillian - the teasers promised something completely new after all, and finally ticking the ginger and female boxes would do that :D

As for the Doctor, I think she will do just fine - but then an inanimate carbon rod would be an improvement over capabaldi.

as for the other 2005 Doctors;

9 - "meh"
10 - the one, the only THE Doctor <3
11 - Really disliked him initially, if not for his companion I'd properly have stopped watching. She totally carried him
12 - NO, no, no! Can he even act? Even the youtube outro is so stilted it makes me want to cry :(
Colombo Aug 8, 2017
Guppy: With the revelation that 12 is actually 13th (given the War Doctor), I was expecting that Capaldi would be the bad evil doctor (given all the hinting about doctor becoming more evil in the 10 and some other hints and Valeyard back in the old days). Unfortunately... Capaldi became just confused grandad.
lucifertdark Aug 9, 2017
I stopped watching it when David Tennant left, I can't see any reason to start watching it again. As for this new female doctor, she'll quit before the end of the first season.
HadBabits Aug 20, 2017
Quoting: GuestMy problem isn't with a female Doctor per-se, but that it just feels too much as though they only reason it's being done is political correctness in a show that already has (or has had) an awful lot of strong female leads. Romana, Leela, Teegan, Ace, and of course let's not forget Sarah Jane Smith. Or Barbara. Or River. Or....well, you get the idea.

I think it's a good shake-up. Sure, there has been lots of strong female lead characters, but never the actual lead. Haven't seen the old Doctor Who, but the recent formula has mainly been Male Doctor w/ Female Companion. Changing the dynamics could be a great way to reinvigorate it, as this allows certain plots that might not work otherwise. Whether they actually pull it off is yet to be seen.

As for the lore thing... I mean, it's sci-fantasy surely. And sometimes really silly sci-fan at that. On top of that the time travel aspect totally throws things out the window in terms of continuity and solid rules, and you know what? I think it's great. It means they aren't shackled to arbitrary rules of time's past, and for me I most enjoyed the self contained one-off episodes; but then I do enjoy the 'anthology' approach, so that's personal preference.

Also also, I don't have time to Google, buuut I think I had read a year or so ago the creators had said Time Lords could regenerate either gender, the Doctor/writers just hadn't done it yet.
slaapliedje Aug 20, 2017
Quoting: GuestMy problem isn't with a female Doctor per-se, but that it just feels too much as though they only reason it's being done is political correctness in a show that already has (or has had) an awful lot of strong female leads. Romana, Leela, Teegan, Ace, and of course let's not forget Sarah Jane Smith. Or Barbara. Or River. Or....well, you get the idea.

Storyline reasons didn't fit either for me - it's just like suddenly "oh, btw, all time lords are basically hermaphrodites, that's a thing now, ignore 40 years of the show beforehand because political correctness!". Just irks me. I understand some might view it differently, but this is what comes to mind first whenever I see anything about the new....developments.
Which is a pity, because there were so many ways they could have handled it better and it's just going to make everything that much harder for the actress to do her job.

It's the PC bits that made me just nope out of watching it. I actually liked Capaldi, but maybe that's because I'm partial to liking a good Scot rant.
slaapliedje Aug 20, 2017
Let's not all forget that the Master (one of The Doctor's biggest nemesises..nemesi?) was also regenerated as a woman. Who became known as "Missy"
Anjune Aug 21, 2017

Storyline reasons didn't fit either for me - it's just like suddenly "oh, btw, all time lords are basically hermaphrodites, that's a thing now, ignore 40 years of the show beforehand because political correctness!". Just irks me. I understand some might view it differently, but this is what comes to mind first whenever I see anything about the new....developments.
Which is a pity, because there were so many ways they could have handled it better and it's just going to make everything that much harder for the actress to do her job.

If I recall correctly they had established that Time Lords can change sex on regeneration either in the Shada novel (2012) or possibly Douglas Adams' original script from way back when... now, I don't think it's necessary for the Doctor to change sex, nor that it's some big win for gender equality over the troglodyte forces of yesteryear -- but it's hardly the strangest thing to have happened in the Doctor Who universe. And there's simply no way for them to pull it off now without being accused of "PC" pandering. Conversely there's probably also no way for a female Doctor not to be unfairly tasked with representing all women everywhere rather than being an individual character in her own right. Sigh! But I'm willing to judge it on its own merits, assuming it arrives on friggin' Euronetflix within my lifetime.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.