Whispermode Nvidia -- do it yourself ?
_J_30000 Aug 9, 2017
So Nvidia is making a (big) deal out of Whispermode:

Whisper mode link

I was just playing Stellaris on my notebook with a gtx 1060 and getting 130-160 fps with the gpu fans whirring away, now there is (at least for my gaming ability) no benefit of 160fps over say 60fps (or maybe 100 if you are a pro!).

So I was wondering if anybody here has tried something like this link describes:

power target reddit

Or anyone built application profiles that would work, where I might be able to limit the max clock rate to say 1000 from 1911 max?

thanks
_J_30000 Aug 11, 2017
Hi all,

a nice big fat googling led my to this marvellous thread
someone had thought of it before...

and this site
libstrangle to restrict frame-rates (German)

and this wonderful strangler:
libstrangle !!!!!!!

I can happily confirm that it seems to work fine with Stellaris and I no longer have to suffer from ridiculous FPS and noise....!
Avehicle7887 Aug 12, 2017
Hi J,

Thanks for sharing this solution, this might be just what I've been looking for. I've tried it with a few native games and it works great. Might finally fix my problem with Septerra Core in Wine.

Also for the matter, I couldn't find a pre-compiled binary of the library so I built one from source (latest git), you can find a download link on my google drive: libstrangle.tar.gz

MD5 Hash: 4b1731f9c7a85c15a755fe4a7ad5854c

Usage instructions can be found in the Readme.md file.
tuubi Aug 12, 2017
What's libstrangle's advantage over good old VSYNC for limiting FPS to your monitor refresh rate? Is this for games (and drivers) that do not provide this option? Or just for situations where you want to limit to a lower rate?
Avehicle7887 Aug 12, 2017
Quoting: tuubiWhat's libstrangle's advantage over good old VSYNC for limiting FPS to your monitor refresh rate? Is this for games (and drivers) that do not provide this option? Or just for situations where you want to limit to a lower rate?

I find it useful where the vsync option doesn't work in some games or in certain cases where I want 60fps without turning vsync on.
_J_30000 Aug 12, 2017
Quoting: tuubiWhat's libstrangle's advantage over good old VSYNC for limiting FPS to your monitor refresh rate? Is this for games (and drivers) that do not provide this option? Or just for situations where you want to limit to a lower rate?

my screen has 120 refresh rate...

and also as said in my original post in a game like Civ or Stellaris 30-40 fps is more than enough, even 60fps is excessive IMHO#

just need the same for Vulkan now..

:D
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.