Rust server, a couple of ideas/suggestions
nox Sep 6, 2017
Hello!

I'd like to propose a few possible changes to the rust server and hear your thoughts on the different points.

• Change the wipe cycle.
    At the moment we have a 1 month wipe cycle, sadly the server population goes very low after about 2 weeks:

(The spikes you see daily the previous two weeks are mostly the same 2-4 people.)
    Having an extra wipe in between the forced wipes might be healthy for the server and population.

• Change the decay slightly.
    Since 2-3 days away from your base can mean losing a lot of what you've worked for, I think people give up rather quickly after seeing this. Halving the decay rate might be a good idea considering people have jobs, families and that the server population isn't extremely large anyways. (Easily doable with server config)

• Add a server description with clearly when the next wipe will be and some general rules/guidelines to the server config.

Thank you for reading! I hope someone will argue against one or more of my points so we can see what the community properly thinks about this.
Xpander Sep 6, 2017
wipe cycle is fine imo. Decay is the problem. I was away for 4-5 days and everything was pretty much gone so i wait for the next wipe.

2 weeks for wipe is too extreme imo, i dont have that much of time to get everything going in 2 weeks and then loose all again.
nox Sep 6, 2017
Quoting: Xpanderwipe cycle is fine imo. Decay is the problem. I was away for 4-5 days and everything was pretty much gone so i wait for the next wipe.

2 weeks for wipe is too extreme imo, i dont have that much of time to get everything going in 2 weeks and then loose all again.
Yeah, I see that one.

Liam, do you think adjusting the decay would be doable before next wipe?
The setting in the server config file would be "decay.scale 0.50"
Liam Dawe Sep 6, 2017
Quoting: elo
Quoting: Xpanderwipe cycle is fine imo. Decay is the problem. I was away for 4-5 days and everything was pretty much gone so i wait for the next wipe.

Yeah, I see that one.

Liam, do you think adjusting the decay would be doable before next wipe?
The setting in the server config file would be "decay.scale 0.50"
Sure, decay SHOULD now be at that level. I ran the command and then ran the save config command.

As for this:
QuoteAdd a server description with clearly when the next wipe will be and some general rules/guidelines to the server config.
Last time I tried to add a description, it only seemed to add it on top of the existing "no description", need to figure out why.
Liam Dawe Sep 6, 2017
Okay, the server description is now sorted, including details on the monthly wipe.

The decay is an issue, as I can't find a way to make it stick around after a reboot. It keeps reverting back to 1, no matter what I do.
Decay is properly sorted now, turns out you need it as a launch config to have it always set.

The wipe will stay as once a month, any more and I wouldn't play it.

If you're not already on it, join the discord: https://discord.gg/0rxBtcSOonvGzXr4
nox Sep 7, 2017
Awesome, thank you.

I'm already on Discord but I figured this topic was better fit for the forums :)
Ardje Sep 7, 2017
Does that mean the Rust client works for you? It has been crashing on ssl negotiation on the EAC server for weeks now for me.
nox Sep 8, 2017
Ardje, it works very well. No problems at all for me.

Have to tried to fully reinstall the game and all that jazz? Also, facepunch support are lovely people so you could try them.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.