Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
can we have a true linux phone?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Salvatos May 22, 2019
That's a choice I made long ago with Facebook and I've never regretted it. One thing I've noticed is that most people readily refuse to use free/open/privacy-respecting tools simply because they're used to a proprietary equivalent. You propose an alternative tool or platform that you use, and you're met with a big flat no, no argument. Why should we be any less steadfast with our decision not to use what they want?

I'm not on proprietary social media. I don't use SMS. People still call me and send me e-mails when they want to get in touch. If Facebook were all it took to drive us apart, I'd be more concerned with the quality of our underlying relationships than with the lack of photos.

P.S. Not saying everyone should do as I do, but you do have that choice. It might even make others think twice when they see how much it matters to you.
skyrrd May 22, 2019
Quoting: Salvatos
Spoiler, click me
That's a choice I made long ago with Facebook and I've never regretted it. One thing I've noticed is that most people readily refuse to use free/open/privacy-respecting tools simply because they're used to a proprietary equivalent. You propose an alternative tool or platform that you use, and you're met with a big flat no, no argument. Why should we be any less steadfast with our decision not to use what they want?

I'm not on proprietary social media. I don't use SMS. People still call me and send me e-mails when they want to get in touch. If Facebook were all it took to drive us apart, I'd be more concerned with the quality of our underlying relationships than with the lack of photos.

P.S. Not saying everyone should do as I do, but you do have that choice. It might even make others think twice when they see how much it matters to you.

I dont das you are wrong, but what keeps WhatsApp so popular is its userbase. Everyone i know uses WhatsApp for private mobile messeges. Fact is that there are only a handful of people aroun me who even know of alternatives and i can surely not insist on my relatives, older or non-technical friends who can barely use the core functions of their phones or computers to fiddle with new messeging apps that they can only use to chat with one or two people, when all the others are using WhatsApp.
Salvatos May 22, 2019
Quoting: skyrrdi can surely not insist on my relatives, older or non-technical friends who can barely use the core functions of their phones or computers to fiddle with new messeging apps that they can only use to chat with one or two people, when all the others are using WhatsApp.
I agree. I don't insist on anyone using anything either. If they ask me to e.g. join Facebook, I refuse, point out alternatives I do use or am willing to use, and that's it. They can choose to use something else or not, and so can I. I have yet to meet anyone who can't use a phone if all else fails.

It's a tough stand to make, but it's also those companies' greatest strength, so it's the most effective way to stand up to them.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.