Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Nier Automata
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
De1m0s Sep 13, 2017
Hello

i had Nier Automata installed, and played for about one hour. This was just for testing if it's running. Played witcher 3 now for several weeks, and now (i did not changed anything in the wine-prefix) i get error-message in wine (PoL), when i try to start it again:

wine: Unhandled privileged instruction at address 0x7bcded43 (thread 002f), starting debugger...

and from the programm:
Unhandled exception: privileged instruction in 64-bit code (0x000000007bcded43).
Register dump:

...i'm sure, this was running out of the box. I made a clean prefix now, installed again, but same result.
?? Can this be, because of some system-updates (new kernel etc) ? Kernel is 4.10.0-33-generic x86_64

Can someone confirm? Or does it run at your system? Did i have to install something, f.e. directX or VC runtime?? I can't remember, what i did to that time. Guess not so much.
At the moment, i tried 2.16 staging an 2.16. To that time, Nier Automata was running, it was 2.13 staging. Makes no difference, which version i'm choosing. Same error-message all the time.
De1m0s Sep 15, 2017
I made it to work again.
Strange; i´ve got to set wine-version in PoL to "system"; system-wine is 2.12staging. If i set 2.12staging directly in PoL, it doesn´t work. WTF??

So, i can´t use any higher version. Seems that only wine 2.12 staging works.
Is anyone else here playing NierAutomata? Any different experiences?
mrdeathjr Sep 16, 2017
Quoting: De1m0sI made it to work again.
Strange; i´ve got to set wine-version in PoL to "system"; system-wine is 2.12staging. If i set 2.12staging directly in PoL, it doesn´t work. WTF??

So, i can´t use any higher version. Seems that only wine 2.12 staging works.
Is anyone else here playing NierAutomata? Any different experiences?

In my case test last time with wine64 staging 2.13 and works ok

View video on youtube.com

System Specs Used in Test

Nvidia Drivers 384.59 (run package from nvidia drivers homepage)

Xubuntu 16.04 x64 - Kernel 4.8.0-34 generic (ubuntu mainline) - CPUFreq: Performance

CPU: INTEL Pentium G3258 (Haswell 22nm) 4.1Ghz + Artic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus

MEMORY: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (dual channel: 21.3 gb/s)

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 OC (GP107 14nm: 640 Shaders / 40 TMUS / 32 ROPS) Windforce 2GB DDR5 7000Mhz 128Bit (110Gb/s)

MAINBOARD: MSI H81M E33
damarrin Mar 1, 2020
Has anyone on here played it? I'm going through it right now (on PS4 however) and it's just getting better and better. I have half a mind to get it again on Steam both to show appreciation to the devs and to bolster Linux gaming ever so slightly...
LordDaveTheKind Mar 2, 2020
Quoting: damarrinHas anyone on here played it? I'm going through it right now (on PS4 however) and it's just getting better and better. I have half a mind to get it again on Steam both to show appreciation to the devs and to bolster Linux gaming ever so slightly...

It's one of the best games I've played last year. Gameplay is alright, with no big flaws. On the other hand, the story is very deep and insightful.

The PC port is a little resource consuming though, and unfortunately this has been the major disappointment for lots of people playing it on low-spec hardware.

Last edited by LordDaveTheKind on 2 March 2020 at 3:30 pm UTC
TobyGornow Mar 2, 2020
Quoting: damarrinHas anyone on here played it? I'm going through it right now (on PS4 however) and it's just getting better and better. I have half a mind to get it again on Steam both to show appreciation to the devs and to bolster Linux gaming ever so slightly...

One of the best game I've played last year for me too. Universe and story wise, it may be the best I've played.

I don't know if you've already completed a run of the game, just know that New Game+ is not a new game plus and believe me you want to try it. (Coming from a guy who never play the New Game plus)
jens Mar 2, 2020
  • Supporter
Quoting: GuestIt does not work at all on Linux using Proton, unfortunately.
If I change the version of Proton then it starts but it ignores all gamepad input and only offers azerty or qwerty keyboard input (my keyboard is bépo so it’s not helpful at all).

May be related to this one? https://github.com/ValveSoftware/wine/pull/83
damarrin Mar 3, 2020
Oh, it doesn’t? I thought it was whitelisted by Valve. That sucks.

I’m on route C, where things started to really get interesting.

And it’s rather poorly optimised. I’m playing on a PS4 Pro and it drops frames all over the place. Still, great fun.
LordDaveTheKind Mar 3, 2020
Quoting: TobyGornowI don't know if you've already completed a run of the game, just know that New Game+ is not a new game plus and believe me you want to try it. (Coming from a guy who never play the New Game plus)

One of the things I complain about Sekiro (the best game I have played in the last year, and the second in the overall decade imho) is that the New Game+ gets actually a little boring, because it is exactly the same game with no new challenges whatsoever. I don't know if making like unlocking a new branch of the storyline at each NewGame+ would have made more interesting to reiterate the game.
damarrin Mar 3, 2020
That’s just regular NG+, you get to go through the game again with an increased challenge doing stuff you missed the first time or making different choices.

In Automata it’s not NG+, it’s the continuation of the story, even if it’s mostly a retread at first. The fact it shows you the credits is just a design quirk.
LordDaveTheKind Mar 3, 2020
Quoting: damarrinOh, it doesn’t? I thought it was whitelisted by Valve. That sucks.

I’m on route C, where things started to really get interesting.

And it’s rather poorly optimised. I’m playing on a PS4 Pro and it drops frames all over the place. Still, great fun.

Spoiler, click me
I gave up when I wasn't able to pass one of those hacking minigames in the tower of the hacking minigames (or however was called) with 9S. I promised myself to allocate around 8~10 hours of my time for passing it and unlocking the game, but I haven't been able to do it since last August.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.