Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Which GPU to use
Poll results: Which one?
GT 640 (Nvidia)

2 vote(s)
100%
HD 6670 (AMD)

0 vote(s)
0%
Elvanex Sep 18, 2017
So I have 2 relatively similarly specced graphics cards laying around. They are a nvidia GT 640 and AMD HD 6670. Both have 2GB of GDDR5 memory. I want to use one of them in my sister's computer, which already has an i5 760, and 8GB of RAM. I'm wondering which would perform better for Linux gaming. From what I've read online, they are quite similar on windows. I just don't know if the performance gap is the same on Linux or not. Thanks in advance. :)
g000h Sep 18, 2017
I'd say you'll have less issues with games on Linux, and better performance if you keep the GT 640 in your machine.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6670-vs-GeForce-GT-640

Things get a little more interesting if you at some point go for a graphics upgrade.

AMD's RX 580 is a pretty tasty card, although for pure graphics power Nvidia's expensive GTX 1070, 1080 or 1080 Ti do blow it away. If you were comparing an RX 580 to a GTX 1060 then things are a lot closer.
Elvanex Sep 19, 2017
Quoting: g000hI'd say you'll have less issues with games on Linux, and better performance if you keep the GT 640 in your machine.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6670-vs-GeForce-GT-640

Things get a little more interesting if you at some point go for a graphics upgrade.

AMD's RX 580 is a pretty tasty card, although for pure graphics power Nvidia's expensive GTX 1070, 1080 or 1080 Ti do blow it away. If you were comparing an RX 580 to a GTX 1060 then things are a lot closer.

I don't plan on upgrading this machine anytime in the near future. Also, I've seen that page before, and there are a couple things that make it seem inaccurate for my situation... First, it doesn't use the correct models that I have. As I mentioned before, both of my cards have 2GB of GDDR5. Second, those results are for windows. However, using simple logic, I suppose I could translate that as the gt 640 being the definite better performer. I'm still curious about the gap though. Is mesa for AMD as proportionately good as the proprietary nvidia drivers are when compared to windows? Btw, thanks for the reply. :)
Elvanex Sep 19, 2017
Apologies... I just double checked, and it appears my 6670 only has DDR3 memory, not GDDR5. I suppose that makes my decision then. :) Maybe I'll try to put together a cheap bitcoin rig with the 6670. Better than nothing I guess. lol. Anyway, thanks again for the reply. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.