You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! We will also never show adverts to anyone who supports GamingOnLinux! Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
RX 580 Forced Into Software Rendering Mode
PublicNuisance commented on 23 September 2017 at 4:12 pm UTC

I just recently picked up an RX 580 and have been having an issue. If I install any kernel that is 4.11, 4.12 or 4.13 it is forced into software rendering mode after restarting. If I stick to any kernel 4.10 or lower it is fine. Obviously I would prefer to use a newer kernel. Could anybody tell me how to fix this ? I have never run into this issue before. Here is my system specs:

AMD FX-9590, 16GB DDR3-2133, MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X, Mesa 17.2.1, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Linux Mint 18.2 64, Kernel 4.10.17

Shmerl commented on 24 September 2017 at 9:10 pm UTC

Do you have needed GPU firmware installed? Mint might be behind with it.

See if anything from here is missing in your firmware-amd-graphics package (that would be some of the polaris*.bin).

dpkg -L firmware-amd-graphics

PublicNuisance commented on 25 September 2017 at 12:12 am UTC

ShmerlDo you have needed GPU firmware installed? Mint might be behind with it.

See if anything from here is missing in your firmware-amd-graphics package (that would be some of the polaris*.bin).

dpkg -L firmware-amd-graphics

I used dpkg -L firmware-amd-graphics in Terminal and got back:

"dpkg-query: package 'firmware-amd-graphics' is not installed"

I have narrowed it down to an issue with Mint as I tried Solus and Antergos and both worked fine with newer kernels.

Shmerl commented on 25 September 2017 at 12:31 am UTC

PublicNuisance"dpkg-query: package 'firmware-amd-graphics' is not installed"

Well, that's the first thing you should fix. Did installing help it? Or there are still firmwares missing?

PublicNuisance commented on 25 September 2017 at 12:37 am UTC

Shmerl
PublicNuisance"dpkg-query: package 'firmware-amd-graphics' is not installed"

Well, that's the first thing you should fix. Did installing help it? Or there are still firmwares missing?

I tried installing it through terminal using "sudo apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics" and that returned

"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package firmware-amd-graphics is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'firmware-amd-graphics' has no installation candidate"

Shmerl commented on 25 September 2017 at 12:43 am UTC

PublicNuisanceE: Package 'firmware-amd-graphics' has no installation candidate"

Something is seriously messed up with your Mint installation then (may be some repo is missing?). While you are figuring it out (try asking on Mint forums), you can just download one from here.

Either install it with dpkg -i, or better manually extract all *.bin files to /lib/firmware/radeon

And then, run:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel continued
  • Date:
Community Livestreams
  • hatniX plays: Overland
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact