You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
Need Help in Benchmarking Radeon RX 480 and GeForce GTX 970
bintsmok commented on 29 October 2017 at 12:58 pm UTC

Hi,

I have been a Windows gamer for about 15 years and just started playing exclusively on Linux in the 2nd half of 2017. I do my own game benchmarks and have experience in benchmarking Radeon GPU's and GeForce GPU's in Windows. In Windows, after I have benchmarked the GeForce card, I just uninstall the NVIDIA driver then remove the card. Plug in the Radeon card, clean the leftover driver files using DDU then install the AMD driver.

How do you do it in Linux with regards to changing drivers? How do I change drivers when switching from GeForce to Radeon?

I was able to borrow a Radeon RX 480 and I want to test it on Linux and compare it with GeForce GTX 970. Linux distro to be used is Ubuntu MATE 17.10 (comes with Linux kernel 4.13 + Mesa 17.2.2)

Here are the tests I plan to do

1. RX 480 on Mesa 17.2.2 vs GTX 970 on GeForce 387.12 (Vulkan and OpenGL)
2. Test 20+ Linux games using RX 480 on Mesa 17.2.2 to see which games run properly.

Also, does RADV come with the Linux distro?

Sorry for the many questions. I'm a newbie and depends heavily on GUI.

Thanks

EDIT:

Is this the answer to my question if RADV comes with the Linux distro?

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-open-source-vulkan-driver-for-amd-radv-has-been-merged-into-mesa.8280

bintsmok commented on 29 October 2017 at 1:12 pm UTC

Here are the games I will test for out-of-the-box compatibility with the Mesa 17.2.2 driver that comes with Ubuntu MATE 17.10. Benchmarks will be done on the games with built-in benchmark tools.

F1 2017 (Will buy on Nov. 2, 2017)
Observer
Road Redemption
JYDGE
GOKEN
EVERSPACE
The Long Dark
Sundered
Dawn of War III
Immortal Redneck
Hollow Knight
Ballistic Overkill
Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
DiRT Rally
Hitman
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Starbound
XCOM 2
Mad Max
CrossCode
Life is Strange
Dying Light
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Alien: Isolation
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
The Talos Principle
Metro: Last Light
Tomb Raider
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Serious Sam 3: BFE (Fusion 2017)

chancho_zombie commented on 30 October 2017 at 6:20 am UTC

bintsmokHi,

I have been a Windows gamer for about 15 years and just started playing exclusively on Linux in the 2nd half of 2017. I do my own game benchmarks and have experience in benchmarking Radeon GPU's and GeForce GPU's in Windows. In Windows, after I have benchmarked the GeForce card, I just uninstall the NVIDIA driver then remove the card. Plug in the Radeon card, clean the leftover driver files using DDU then install the AMD driver.

How do you do it in Linux with regards to changing drivers? How do I change drivers when switching from GeForce to Radeon?

I was able to borrow a Radeon RX 480 and I want to test it on Linux and compare it with GeForce GTX 970. Linux distro to be used is Ubuntu MATE 17.10 (comes with Linux kernel 4.13 + Mesa 17.2.2)

Here are the tests I plan to do

1. RX 480 on Mesa 17.2.2 vs GTX 970 on GeForce 387.12 (Vulkan and OpenGL)
2. Test 20+ Linux games using RX 480 on Mesa 17.2.2 to see which games run properly.

Also, does RADV come with the Linux distro?

Sorry for the many questions. I'm a newbie and depends heavily on GUI.

Thanks

EDIT:

Is this the answer to my question if RADV comes with the Linux distro?

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-open-source-vulkan-driver-for-amd-radv-has-been-merged-into-mesa.8280

Most of the distros come with open source Radeon (amdgpu) Mesa OpenGl drivers and Vulkan drivers. I guess that Linux Mint as being Ubuntu based comes with the open source drivers unless they are modifying the packages heavily. I recommend that you try with a recent kernel 4.10 or higher, I think that Ubuntu Artful comes with 4.11, Linux Mint hasn't released a version based on Artul. I seriously recommend you update the kernel, and if you can also update mesa drivers .

you can download an updated kernel here http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.13.10/

if you are on 64 bits, download this files linux-headers-4.13.10-041310-generic_4.13.10-041310.201710270531_amd64.deb linux-image-4.13.10-041310-generic_4.13.10-041310.201710270531_amd64.deb

If not download this files linux-headers-4.13.10-041310-generic_4.13.10-041310.201710270531_i386.deb linux-image-4.13.10-041310-generic_4.13.10-041310.201710270531_i386.deb
Just double click and install them with gdebi package manager.

Now if you are using open source drivers you should be ok on AMD, with this kernel version, but when you switch to Nvidia you should select another kernel on boot because Nvidia doesn't support recent kernels I think it only supports up to 4.8. (at the grub welcome splash screen you should select the apropiate kernel version).
To make things a little more complicated there is another AMD hybrid driver, that is faster but only for Vulkan if you are using normal OpenGL then the preinstalled driver is faster. I personally don't use it, just the OpenCL libraries which you can install aside with the open source drivers. Vulkan is already fast enough with the preinstalled open source drivers.

Years ago it was a mess and when you installed nvidia drivers there where a lots of garbage leftovers when you uninstalled and one driver would overwrite the other driver's libraries, lots of times you were left without gui. But now a lot have changed, there is a library that allows you just to do what you want to do it's called neutral dispatch OpenGL library or something similar. see here https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd. It allows you to install multiple different drivers aside without the need of uninstalling and cleaning leftovers. Most of the distros don't ship it by default. I recommend you to ask at ubuntu or Mint forums because I really don't know how you should install libglvnd on your distro, most of the times they create separate packages for example: nvidia-drivers-libglvnd.

hope it helps, sorry but I've never used libglvnd before. Maybe someone else can explain better how it works.

debianxfce commented on 30 October 2017 at 4:34 pm UTC

Use Debian testing Xfce with a custom kernel and Padoka ppa. See the second message.

Install the nvidia driver from nvidia site. It is easy to remove the driver with the installer script and reinstall xorg with the sudo apt-get install --reinstall xorg command.

mrdeathjr commented on 31 October 2017 at 3:16 am UTC

bintsmokHere are the games I will test for out-of-the-box compatibility with the Mesa 17.2.2 driver that comes with Ubuntu MATE 17.10. Benchmarks will be done on the games with built-in benchmark tools.

F1 2017 (Will buy on Nov. 2, 2017)
Observer
Road Redemption
JYDGE
GOKEN
EVERSPACE
The Long Dark
Sundered
Dawn of War III
Immortal Redneck
Hollow Knight
Ballistic Overkill
Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
DiRT Rally
Hitman
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Starbound
XCOM 2
Mad Max
CrossCode
Life is Strange
Dying Light
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Alien: Isolation
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
The Talos Principle
Metro: Last Light
Tomb Raider
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Serious Sam 3: BFE (Fusion 2017)

Good list however can add:

-Rocket League

-GRID Autosport

-Dirt Showdown

-Saint Row Games: 2 - The Third - IV - Gats Out of Hell

-The Witcher 2

-Anima Gate of Memories

-Aragami

-Shadwen

-Bioshock Infinite

-Shadow Warrior

-Bound by Flame

-Specs Ops The Line

-Borderlands 2

-Sanctum 2

-Valley

-Monstrum

-Dreadout

-Doorways Holy Mountains of Flesh

-Layers of Fear

-Kona

-Outlast

-Soma

-Left 4 Dead 2

-White Noise 2

-Killing Floor

-Metro 2033 Redux

-Counter Strike Global Offensive

-Verdun

-Chivalry Medieval Warfare

-Payday 2

-Natural Selection 2

-Insurgency

-Half Life 2

-Portal 1

-Portal 2

-Is Defense

-Yooka Laylee

-Joe Danger 2

-Cities Skylines

-Torchlight II

-Overlord I

-Overlord II

-Papo and Yo

-Tiny and Big Granpa Leftovers

-Silence

-Ziggurat

-Dungeons 2

-Dungeons 3

-Teslagrad

-The Bards Tale

-Reus

-Sir are you being hunted

-Shank 1

-Shank 2

-Broken Age

-Psychonauts

-Deponia The Complete Journey

-Bit Trip Runner 2

-Guacamelee

-Magicka 2

-Forward to Sky

-Another World 20th Anniversary Edition

-Anomaly Warzone

-Anomaly 2

-Farenheit Indigo Prophecy Remastered

-Legend of Grimrock

-Bastion

-Outland

-Bandland GOTY

-Dreamfall Chapters The Final Cut Edition

-Trine

-Trine 2

-Dust an Elysian Tail

-12 Labours of Hercules

-Jets and Guns Gold

-Skullgirls

-Vanguard Princess

-Age of Wonders III

-Pillars of Eternity

-Transistor

-Invisible Inc

-Shadowrun Returns

-Shadow Tactics Blades of Shogun

-Torment Tides of Numenera

-Medieval II Total War

-Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition

-Victor Vran

-X3 Terran Conflict

-Baldur Gate Enhanced Edition

-Oddworld The New and Tasty

-Grim Fandango Remastered

-Earth 2160

-X-Blades

-Enclave

-Two Worlds Epic Edition

-The Swapper

-Mark of Ninja

-Shadow Blade Reloaded

And many others i dont remember now

Waiting for your results, mainly 1080p

bintsmok commented on 11 November 2017 at 3:47 am UTC

Here are my initial results on the RX 480. No benchmarks yet but I just tested which games run on the open-source driver that comes with Ubuntu MATE 17.04.

I don't know how to check yet the Mesa driver version but according to the built-in OSD of Immortal Redneck, here are the details:

GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD Polaris 10 (DRM 3.9.0 / 4.10.0-38-generic, LLVM 4.0.0), API: OpenGL 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.0.7

My PC was previously running on GeForce 384.98 with GTX 970. I just removed the NVIDIA card then plugged the AMD card.

Sorry, for the long intro. Here are the games I tested:

"OK" means the game runs and displays correctly. Only played it for less than 5 minutes.

1. Observer - runs and displays correctly up to 1st conversation in the apartment. Walking thru the door makes the screen go blank. Walking backwards restores the proper graphics / display.

2. F1 2017 - game launcher runs. Clicking Play gives an error message "Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface is not available".

3. Mad Max - Runs fine in OpenGL mode, I get 80+ FPS on 2560 x 1080 resolution @ High Preset. Running in Vulkan mode gives an error message "Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface is not available".

4. Serious Sam 3: BFE (Fusion 2017) - Won't run. Gives an error message "Fatal error: Cannot set display mode". Probably because the game was set in Vulkan mode when I was still playing using GTX 970.

5. The Talos Principle - Won't run. Gives an error message "Fatal error: Cannot set display mode". Probably because the game was set in Vulkan mode when I was still playing using GTX 970.

6. DiRT Rally - OK. Able to complete 1 run of built-in benchmark

7. Immortal Redneck - OK

8. Ravenfield - OK

10. Ballistic Overkill - OK

11. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - OK

12. CrossCode - OK

13. EVERSPACE - OK

14. Hollow Knight - OK

15. The Long Dark - OK. There is screen garbage display in the 1st loading attempt but I just Alt-Tab then return to the game.

16. Metro: Last Light - OK

17. Road Redemption - OK

18. Victor Vran - OK

19. Vikings: Wolves of Midgard - OK

20. XCOM 2 - OK

21. Aragami - OK

22. Dead Island (Definitive Edition) - garbage screen

23. Dungeons II - OK

24. Sundered - OK

25. Starbound - OK

26. Dawn of War III - Gives an error message "Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface is not available". Probably because the game was set in Vulkan mode when I was still playing using GTX 970.

27. Strike Suit Zero - does not run

28. Brutal Legend - OK

29. ASTROKILL - OK in OpenGL mode. Does not run in Vulkan mode like the other games.

30. JYDGE - OK

31. Sanctum 2 - OK

32. Rogue Legacy - OK

Samsai commented on 11 November 2017 at 10:15 am UTC

For the Vulkan titles you need a newer Mesa version and possibly a newer kernel. Mesa 17.0.7 is old at this point in time and you will want at least Mesa 17.2. I believe Ubuntu 17.10 has the required Mesa version for F1 2017 and since you are already on an interim release you may as well update to 17.10.

bintsmok commented on 11 November 2017 at 10:39 am UTC

SamsaiFor the Vulkan titles you need a newer Mesa version and possibly a newer kernel. Mesa 17.0.7 is old at this point in time and you will want at least Mesa 17.2. I believe Ubuntu 17.10 has the required Mesa version for F1 2017 and since you are already on an interim release you may as well update to 17.10.

Hi,

Can you guide me? I still have a problem. Can't run any Vulkan game.

Already using Ubuntu MATE 17.10 with the default Mesa 17.2.2. I already tried inputting these commands but still can't run any Vulkan game.

sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers
sudo apt install vulkan-utils

What am I missing? Sorry, total newbie here.

Thanks

Samsai commented on 11 November 2017 at 10:48 am UTC

A quick Google search seems to indicate that Ubuntu has in fact managed to ship broken packages yet again. Try installing mesa from https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa (there are instructions there) and maybe that'll fix it. If not then I cannot help much further because I don't use Ubuntu.

mrdeathjr commented on 11 November 2017 at 11:41 am UTC

bintsmokHere are my initial results on the RX 480. No benchmarks yet but I just tested which games run on the open-source driver that comes with Ubuntu MATE 17.04.

I don't know how to check yet the Mesa driver version but according to the built-in OSD of Immortal Redneck, here are the details:

GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD Polaris 10 (DRM 3.9.0 / 4.10.0-38-generic, LLVM 4.0.0), API: OpenGL 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.0.7

My PC was previously running on GeForce 384.98 with GTX 970. I just removed the NVIDIA card then plugged the AMD card.

Sorry, for the long intro. Here are the games I tested:

"OK" means the game runs and displays correctly. Only played it for less than 5 minutes.

1. Observer - runs and displays correctly up to 1st conversation in the apartment. Walking thru the door makes the screen go blank. Walking backwards restores the proper graphics / display.

2. F1 2017 - game launcher runs. Clicking Play gives an error message "Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface is not available".

3. Mad Max - Runs fine in OpenGL mode, I get 80+ FPS on 2560 x 1080 resolution @ High Preset. Running in Vulkan mode gives an error message "Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface is not available".

4. Serious Sam 3: BFE (Fusion 2017) - Won't run. Gives an error message "Fatal error: Cannot set display mode". Probably because the game was set in Vulkan mode when I was still playing using GTX 970.

5. The Talos Principle - Won't run. Gives an error message "Fatal error: Cannot set display mode". Probably because the game was set in Vulkan mode when I was still playing using GTX 970.

6. DiRT Rally - OK. Able to complete 1 run of built-in benchmark

7. Immortal Redneck - OK

8. Ravenfield - OK

10. Ballistic Overkill - OK

11. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - OK

12. CrossCode - OK

13. EVERSPACE - OK

14. Hollow Knight - OK

15. The Long Dark - OK. There is screen garbage display in the 1st loading attempt but I just Alt-Tab then return to the game.

16. Metro: Last Light - OK

17. Road Redemption - OK

18. Victor Vran - OK

19. Vikings: Wolves of Midgard - OK

20. XCOM 2 - OK

21. Aragami - OK

22. Dead Island (Definitive Edition) - garbage screen

23. Dungeons II - OK

24. Sundered - OK

25. Starbound - OK

26. Dawn of War III - Gives an error message "Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface is not available". Probably because the game was set in Vulkan mode when I was still playing using GTX 970.

27. Strike Suit Zero - does not run

28. Brutal Legend - OK

29. ASTROKILL - OK in OpenGL mode. Does not run in Vulkan mode like the other games.

30. JYDGE - OK

31. Sanctum 2 - OK

32. Rogue Legacy - OK

Good begin however needs benchmark and more games (unreal engine 3 based games are interesting)

Respect compatibility (in compatibility side nvidia is better for now) is normal many games dont run or run with problems in amd (typical amd non suported phrase case observer and others)

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • GOG Guest Stream: Resonance
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook