Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
New Desktop Screenshot Thread
Page: «53/72»
  Go to:
sourpuz Jul 16, 2022
Seven years with one Arch install? I ... I'm speechless. Arch must be more stable than its reputation suggests. Maybe I should reconsider, I've been a Linux user since 2001 and have been avoiding Arch like the plague, I heard so many horror stories about broken systems and endless glitch-fixing. But I've been relatively enamored with openSUSE Tumbeleweed, which is somewhat similar in its release-model, I think.

Quoting: Hamish
Quoting: sourpuzYou must be the opposite of a distro-/DE-hopper :)
I was on Fedora for eight years (six as my primary operating system) and have been using Arch for nine years (seven with the same install). Started with GNOME 2 but switched to XFCE as it had better Zaphod Mode support than GNOME Shell. Everything else seems weird and scary to me. I imagine...

Last edited by sourpuz on 16 July 2022 at 10:14 am UTC
Xpander Jul 16, 2022
Hehe, im not the only one. 9 years here on my Arch install
xpander@archlinux ~ $ grep -a -m1 filesystem /var/log/pacman.log 
[2013-01-21 17:45] installed filesystem (2012.12-1)

Before that i had Ubuntu and Mint upgraded from 6.10 to 10.10 then repo changed to mint repositores from mint 11 to 14 without any reinstalls. that was 2007 till 2013

Most of my linux time its been Gnome2 or MATE, have run XFCE quite a bit also and a bit KDE and a little bit Cinnamon.
sourpuz Jul 16, 2022
Hmmm, amazing. Did you have to do a lot of maintenance, like broken dependencies? I mean, Arch does have a bit of a reputation ... :) Nothing against Arch, it just comes with being on the bleeding edge, I guess.

Quoting: XpanderHehe, im not the only one. 9 years here on my Arch install
xpander@archlinux ~ $ grep -a -m1 filesystem /var/log/pacman.log 
[2013-01-21 17:45] installed filesystem (2012.12-1)

Before that i had Ubuntu and Mint upgraded from 6.10 to 10.10 then repo changed to mint repositores from mint 11 to 14 without any reinstalls. that was 2007 till 2013

Most of my linux time its been Gnome2 or MATE, have run XFCE quite a bit also and a bit KDE and a little bit Cinnamon.
Xpander Jul 16, 2022
Quoting: sourpuzHmmm, amazing. Did you have to do a lot of maintenance, like broken dependencies? I mean, Arch does have a bit of a reputation ... :) Nothing against Arch, it just comes with being on the bleeding edge, I guess.

Not really, there have been few package conflicts with AUR stuff that have been requiring manual intervention. But those are rare. There have been few cases during updates when manual intervention is needed also due to drastical package changes, but those have been documented on the home page. The install has survived 3 different motherboards without any issues. Cloned to new drives 2 times also.
sourpuz Jul 16, 2022
Hmmm. Maybe I should give it a try on one of my laptops at least. Ah, could be a project for the holidays.

QuoteNot really, there have been few package conflicts with AUR stuff that have been requiring manual intervention. But those are rare. There have been few cases during updates when manual intervention is needed also due to drastical package changes, but those have been documented on the home page. The install has survived 3 different motherboards without any issues. Cloned to new drives 2 times also.
EWG Jul 17, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweDoes this count? 😇

Is that TWO Steam Decks?! Raffle one away or something?! lol
Kuduzkehpan Jul 18, 2022
https://i.hizliresim.com/sc9610e.jpg

Last edited by Kuduzkehpan on 18 July 2022 at 8:24 pm UTC
Hamish Aug 8, 2022
Another subtle change of wallpaper for August:

Last edited by Hamish on 8 August 2022 at 3:10 am UTC
Pengling Aug 8, 2022

Some artwork from Custom Battler Bomberman got cycled in as the latest background on my Entroware Orion i5 just now, so here's a screenshot. The game pinched a bunch of ideas from Capcom's MegaMan Battle Network, hence the Tron-like cyberspace aesthetic.

Last edited by Pengling on 8 August 2022 at 1:54 pm UTC
DoctorJunglist Aug 9, 2022
I've switched from Solus to Nobara in april, but I kept my GNOME setup more or less the same, bar some additional tweaks. I always use the unity-style layout on GNOME (top bar and the side panel).

Last edited by DoctorJunglist on 9 August 2022 at 5:58 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.