You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Pillars of Eternity (gog 7) installer crashes Debian Buster
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
crt0mega Nov 29, 2017
I've installed it on my 5+ years old Debian Unstable, no crash. I've got a pretty fresh sid install on my new laptop, maybe the installer throws some errors there.

What filesystem do you use for ~? I had some issues with Dead Island some years ago on a xfs filesystem.

If nothing else works you can still try @Avehicle7887's approach.

Quoting: Avehicle7887I normally "install" GOG games by unzipping the installer manually, the command is something along: unzip -d /home/user/output gog_game_name.sh

The main game files is the "output/data/noarch" folder. Everything else can be deleted.

Expansions can also be installed the same way, simply unzip the installers and merge the data from the "noarch" folder in the main game.
Arehandoro Nov 29, 2017
Quoting: crt0megaI've installed it on my 5+ years old Debian Unstable, no crash. I've got a pretty fresh sid install on my new laptop, maybe the installer throws some errors there.

What filesystem do you use for ~? I had some issues with Dead Island some years ago on a xfs filesystem.

If nothing else works you can still try @Avehicle7887's approach.

Quoting: Avehicle7887I normally "install" GOG games by unzipping the installer manually, the command is something along: unzip -d /home/user/output gog_game_name.sh

The main game files is the "output/data/noarch" folder. Everything else can be deleted.

Expansions can also be installed the same way, simply unzip the installers and merge the data from the "noarch" folder in the main game.

I see, interesting. Thanks for trying out on your machine :)

I use ext4.
razing32 Nov 29, 2017
Ok i tried it on Antergos and it worked fine.
Managed to get in game , create a character and move around a few seconds.

I have a few ideas.
1.What directory are you installing the game from and into what directory. Do you have correct permissions on both ?
2.Can you install ANY other GOG game without issue ?
3.Can you try to re-download the installer just in case it got corrupted ?
4.What groups is your user a part of ?
Real stretch:
Wondering if the game is looking for AppArmor since Debian is similar to Ubuntu ?
Arehandoro Nov 29, 2017
Quoting: razing32Ok i tried it on Antergos and it worked fine.
Managed to get in game , create a character and move around a few seconds.

I have a few ideas.
1.What directory are you installing the game from and into what directory. Do you have correct permissions on both ?
2.Can you install ANY other GOG game without issue ?
3.Can you try to re-download the installer just in case it got corrupted ?
4.What groups is your user a part of ?
Real stretch:
Wondering if the game is looking for AppArmor since Debian is similar to Ubuntu ?

1. I'm installing the game under "~/Games/GOG/Pillars of eternity" but the default "~/GOG GAMES/Pillars of Eternity" also fails. It shows I have permission to create and delete files.
2. Before Pillars of Eternity I installed Grim Fandango and Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars. Right now I have downloaded Oxenfree to give a test and this one ahs installed without errors too.
3. I have downloaded it 3 different times and always same error.
4. "chewbacca cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev netdev bluetooth scanner"

AppArmor is installed and started.

It's definitely a weird one :/
razing32 Nov 30, 2017
Hmm , my user is part of the wheel group.
I recall this is being used for escalating admin privileges.
Maybe that ?
Arehandoro Nov 30, 2017
Quoting: razing32Hmm , my user is part of the wheel group.
I recall this is being used for escalating admin privileges.
Maybe that ?

I created the group wheel as stated in the Debian wiki Wheel/Pam webpage and tried again... to not avail haha.

Thanks though!
Arehandoro Nov 30, 2017
I'm a bit ashamed... but I have reinstalled the system from scratch. Now the game is finally installed.

Thanks!
crt0mega Dec 1, 2017
I'm glad that it works now! Don't feel ashamed. None of us had been able to hunt this weird bug down xD
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.