Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Ubuntu is mean. How do I revert to Nvidia 375?
Nanobang Dec 2, 2017
Hey y'all! While I wait until Nvidia is able to patch this new driver bug, I thought I'd revert to the 375 driver.

My problem is that it's no longer showing up in my "Additional Drivers" list, which is the only way I've ever installed/updated my Nvidia driver (using the Ubuntu graphics-drivers ppa). I tried installing via sudo apt install nvidia-367, which apt said was the transitional package for 375.82. Both apt and Synaptic show 375.82 as being installed, but it's not showing up in Additional Drivers. I've reached the edge of my knowledge so I'm stumped.

Past painful experience has taught me that I should avoid tinkering with the nvidia drivers because of the way things go from "seemingly fine" to "fucking broke" without warning, so I've done nothing more but to come here and see if I could find a little guidance.

Thanks in advance. :)
ageres Dec 2, 2017
sudo apt install nvidia-375 nvidia-libopencl1-375 nvidia-opencl-icd-375 nvidia-settings
stretch611 Dec 3, 2017
I use Mint, not Ubuntu, but I think the following was used in Ubuntu prior to when I switched. (no guarantee of course if its still in Ubuntu; but I would expect driver manager to be there even if not in the menu below.)

Main Menu => Control Center => Driver Manager (enter root password) and it shows me a list of drivers I can use. It also includes the nouveau driver.

I am guessing that your repos will need to have the various drivers available to you, and if your options are limited, you may want to try using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.