[SOLVED] Need help setting up some Frozenbyte games
dvd Dec 7, 2017
I'm using Debian Buster, and after getting Shadwen yesterday i tried to get it and Trine 3 to work again. I've got to a point where i compiled all the missing legacy libraries (libpng12) and had ldd recognize all of the required shared libraries. I also provided the necessary override values for GL and GLSL versions in the launch options, however, both games seem to CTD in the same way. I'm using the MESA drivers with the necessary blobs installed. Has anyone here had success with these games using Mesa drivers?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Avehicle7887 Dec 15, 2017
Hello,

When you say crash to desktop what do you mean exactly - Do the games display anything when you run them or nothing at all? Also have you tried the other Trine games, Enchanted Edition and Trine 2?

On my laptop with Mesa I can run the first 2 Trine games but not the 3rd. Trine 3 often had issues with Mesa, including on a high end card as the RX480, a google search will result similar answers.

Tomorrow I will run some more tests on my laptop and will report back.
dvd Dec 15, 2017
I meant that after the configuration window both games tried to open a window which then quickly closed.

I can run T1 and T2 fine, i did have some graphical glitches around cogwheels in T1.

I also ran Shadwen demo on this hardware in the past, as well as other opengl4+ games by setting the mesa override values.
Avehicle7887 Dec 15, 2017
Quoting: dvdI meant that after the configuration window both games tried to open a window which then quickly closed.

I can run T1 and T2 fine, i did have some graphical glitches around cogwheels in T1.

I also ran Shadwen demo on this hardware in the past, as well as other opengl4+ games by setting the mesa override values.

I tested Trine 3 today on Mesa 17.2, end result is a black screen and a non responding status. I searched a few youtube videos with Trine 3 + Mesa and they clearly show it working. Needs some little investigation.
dvd Dec 26, 2017
A bit late, but there were a few updates to testing since i've opened the thread, and i've played around with the override values again, and now trine 3 and shadwen run fine, without any glitches so far. I'm using MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 and MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410
Avehicle7887 Dec 31, 2017
Quoting: dvdA bit late, but there were a few updates to testing since i've opened the thread, and i've played around with the override values again, and now trine 3 and shadwen run fine, without any glitches so far. I'm using MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 and MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410

Better late than never, thanks for sharing in fact :-)

I noticed your PC info lists Debian as distro and you're gaming on a laptop with an AMD A6 APU, is this the same system you're running Trine 3 on? If yes, which version of Mesa are you running please?

I've tried to run this game on my laptop (Intel HD graphics) numerous times, Both with Mesa 13 and the newer 17.2. I will try it again once more using those overrides.

EDIT:

I tried it again using the overrides in 2 different environments: Debian 9 with stock Mesa 13.4 and Ubuntu 17.10 with stock Mesa 17.2, the end result is always the same: game start to hog all the system memory bit by bit until it chokes the system. In my case my laptop has 16GB and it did take it all with no result, eventually it also started using the swap partition until I killed it.

Another interesting thing to point out is that the Windows version runs perfectly under Wine on the very same system. Performance is also quite good and the game is very much playable. I will try a different distro altogether although I do suspect it has something to do with my GPU.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.