You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
WINE Game Screenshot Thread
Hamish commented on 17 March 2013 at 4:05 am UTC

Since I have a few of these building up I figured I might as well start a new thread.

Here is my Bablyonian town in Age of Empires: Rise of Rome. Note the pet gazelles I got my cavalry to herd in there. Yes, I spend most of my games doing stupid things like that.

Assuming you have timidity++ installed you can cause the music to work by launching the timidity server in a terminal like this:
timidity -iA

And here is a shot of the results of a Deus EX GOTY multiplayer game between me and my older brother. Turrets mostly. 

liamdawe commented on 19 March 2013 at 6:10 pm UTC

I love age of empires, I so hope the new HD remake of 2 works in Wine

Hamish commented on 19 March 2013 at 11:26 pm UTC

There is an HD remake? Other than 0 AD? 

liamdawe commented on 21 March 2013 at 5:56 pm UTC

HamishThere is an HD remake? Other than 0 AD? 
Yes AOE2 HD remake coming to steam

Hamish commented on 3 August 2013 at 11:25 pm UTC

Not exactly WINE since I was actually playing it from a Windows XP partition on the old Dell D600 laptop I am stuck on until the replacement hard drive shows up, but I just won a random map game of AOE II without losing a single unit, losing a single building, cutting down a single tree, or killing a single turkey. Beat that.

liamdawe commented on 5 August 2013 at 6:22 pm UTC

Without cutting down a tree? WTH?

Hamish commented on 5 August 2013 at 10:20 pm UTC

It was a four player game separated into two teams, with myself playing as the Spanish. I concentrated on quickly advancing through the ages, building a market as soon as possible and researching cartography so that I could see all that my ally could see. Then I concentrated on building a monastery and a few monks so that I could grab all the relics that my allies scouts uncovered, grabbing all but one of the relics on the map.

With all the gold that those relics generated, I could buy all the resources I needed from the market and concentrate on building cannon galleons and conquistadors. With those units I managed to surgically take out my enemies with no loss of life on my part, as they were in previous ages and had most of their buildings accessible from sea, and my ally also provided some more basic grunt troops.

I also managed to build a large flock of decorative turkeys and penned them up with palisade walls. Now THAT is how you play the game.

n30p1r4t3 commented on 14 August 2013 at 12:14 am UTC

HamishIt was a four player game separated into two teams, with myself playing as the Spanish. I concentrated on quickly advancing through the ages, building a market as soon as possible and researching cartography so that I could see all that my ally could see. Then I concentrated on building a monastery and a few monks so that I could grab all the relics that my allies scouts uncovered, grabbing all but one of the relics on the map.

With all the gold that those relics generated, I could buy all the resources I needed from the market and concentrate on building cannon galleons and conquistadors. With those units I managed to surgically take out my enemies with no loss of life on my part, as they were in previous ages and had most of their buildings accessible from sea, and my ally also provided some more basic grunt troops.

I also managed to build a large flock of decorative turkeys and penned them up with palisade walls. Now THAT is how you play the game.

You sound just like my dad. Have you played AOE 3? It was my favourite.

Hamish commented on 14 August 2013 at 2:31 pm UTC

AOE3 killed the franchise for me. I did not like the jarring shift to 3D graphics that made my head spin, they severely changed the game balance, and most importantly I hated the fact they made it have a purely fictional story campaign that only dealt somewhat with American history. The previous games may have played fast and loose with certain historical realities, but I still learned a lot of history from them that encouraged me to find out more about the events depicted, and the fact that it was not so insular helped broadened my historical perspective to include a larger vision of the world. We played the demo a few times and then never came back again.

Although, I did like Rise of Nations. I remember playing that through WINE soon after I made the full switch to Linux back in 2007. Everything ran perfectly except the sound did not work, as far as I can recall. I should try it again at some point, if I ever get a period where I do not have a large swath of natives games taking up my time.

n30p1r4t3 commented on 14 August 2013 at 4:07 pm UTC

I loved the game. Historically accurate or not.  The graphics were amazing for the time in my opinion, and I welcomed them with open arms. 

Hamish commented on 14 August 2013 at 6:24 pm UTC

Well, you enjoy what you like. But I just could not get into it, even though I loved the previous two games.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: "Dragon Age Origins" (via Wine)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook