Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
WINE Game Screenshot Thread
Page: 1/21»
  Go to:
Hamish Mar 17, 2013
Since I have a few of these building up I figured I might as well start a new thread.

Here is my Bablyonian town in Age of Empires: Rise of Rome. Note the pet gazelles I got my cavalry to herd in there. Yes, I spend most of my games doing stupid things like that. :P

Assuming you have timidity++ installed you can cause the music to work by launching the timidity server in a terminal like this:
timidity -iA

And here is a shot of the results of a Deus EX GOTY multiplayer game between me and my older brother. Turrets mostly. ^_^

Last edited by Hamish on 26 March 2020 at 6:39 am UTC
Liam Dawe Mar 19, 2013
I love age of empires, I so hope the new HD remake of 2 works in Wine :D
Hamish Mar 19, 2013
There is an HD remake? Other than 0 AD? :P
Liam Dawe Mar 21, 2013
Quoting: HamishThere is an HD remake? Other than 0 AD? 
Yes :P AOE2 HD remake coming to steam ;)
Hamish Aug 3, 2013
Not exactly WINE since I was actually playing it from a Windows XP partition on the old Dell D600 laptop I am stuck on until the replacement hard drive shows up, but I just won a random map game of AOE II without losing a single unit, losing a single building, cutting down a single tree, or killing a single turkey. Beat that. :P
Liam Dawe Aug 5, 2013
Without cutting down a tree? WTH?
Hamish Aug 5, 2013
It was a four player game separated into two teams, with myself playing as the Spanish. I concentrated on quickly advancing through the ages, building a market as soon as possible and researching cartography so that I could see all that my ally could see. Then I concentrated on building a monastery and a few monks so that I could grab all the relics that my allies scouts uncovered, grabbing all but one of the relics on the map.

With all the gold that those relics generated, I could buy all the resources I needed from the market and concentrate on building cannon galleons and conquistadors. With those units I managed to surgically take out my enemies with no loss of life on my part, as they were in previous ages and had most of their buildings accessible from sea, and my ally also provided some more basic grunt troops.

I also managed to build a large flock of decorative turkeys and penned them up with palisade walls. Now THAT is how you play the game. :P
n30p1r4t3 Aug 14, 2013
Quoting: HamishIt was a four player game separated into two teams, with myself playing as the Spanish. I concentrated on quickly advancing through the ages, building a market as soon as possible and researching cartography so that I could see all that my ally could see. Then I concentrated on building a monastery and a few monks so that I could grab all the relics that my allies scouts uncovered, grabbing all but one of the relics on the map.

With all the gold that those relics generated, I could buy all the resources I needed from the market and concentrate on building cannon galleons and conquistadors. With those units I managed to surgically take out my enemies with no loss of life on my part, as they were in previous ages and had most of their buildings accessible from sea, and my ally also provided some more basic grunt troops.

I also managed to build a large flock of decorative turkeys and penned them up with palisade walls. Now THAT is how you play the game. :P

You sound just like my dad. Have you played AOE 3? It was my favourite.
Hamish Aug 14, 2013
AOE3 killed the franchise for me. I did not like the jarring shift to 3D graphics that made my head spin, they severely changed the game balance, and most importantly I hated the fact they made it have a purely fictional story campaign that only dealt somewhat with American history. The previous games may have played fast and loose with certain historical realities, but I still learned a lot of history from them that encouraged me to find out more about the events depicted, and the fact that it was not so insular helped broadened my historical perspective to include a larger vision of the world. We played the demo a few times and then never came back again.

Although, I did like Rise of Nations. I remember playing that through WINE soon after I made the full switch to Linux back in 2007. Everything ran perfectly except the sound did not work, as far as I can recall. I should try it again at some point, if I ever get a period where I do not have a large swath of natives games taking up my time.
n30p1r4t3 Aug 14, 2013
I loved the game. Historically accurate or not.  The graphics were amazing for the time in my opinion, and I welcomed them with open arms. 
Hamish Aug 14, 2013
Well, you enjoy what you like. But I just could not get into it, even though I loved the previous two games.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.