Use Reddit? Join us on our very own subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxstuff/
You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Gamers using Radeon + Mesa
Leopard commented on 2 April 2018 at 6:56 am UTC

tonRJust for clarification people. The "Vmware" thing exist

- after Unity 7.4.5 update and
- before I try the mesa-master/build mesa which Shmerl posted.

I don't know how that fixed it but poof it working. I'm suspect Unity update breaking Mesa.

drlamb
ShmerlYour kernel is rather old though.

Ha, just last week I got yelled at by a debian user for saying that Kernel 4.9 was old. It's still a supported kernel sure but in terms of Mesa/amdgpu progress it's ANCIENT.

I know in Linux kernel world it considered "antic" but as long it's working I'm fine by that. The last thing I wanted to do is more problem after return from workplace with problem solved.
I waited for 18.04 LTS to release. If I don't like it, I may look forward use Arch (Antegos) for the first time in my life.

p/s: What I learned by using Linux is in troubleshooting/fixing , you need believe to magic to make it work sometimes.

No actually. That magic works on Windows.

I never saw a thing like on Linux, well that was not working but now it does on same exact software. If there is a problem , it won't go away until you do something.

However , when you get something wrong on Windows you can format it and it magically being fixed. That is the case though.

Linux is very stable, even when it comes to broken parts. It is reliable , everything is clear.

That is why you can boot into same Linux install years without problems.

However , a clean install is a must on Windows after time.

Avehicle7887 commented on 2 April 2018 at 10:24 pm UTC

Windows stability is like a never ending stand up comedy. My colleague at work has problems getting some phone software to work on his rather freshly installed system, meanwhile his old installation ran it well but was forced to reformat due to other issues.

Debugging those issues is a massive headache and there's literally not much to detect where the fault is coming from.

In Linux I find it much easier to debug and resolve issues, and they call Windows a user friendly OS...yeah right until the random errors pop up.

tonR commented on 5 April 2018 at 11:40 pm UTC

LeopardNo actually. That magic works on Windows.

I never saw a thing like on Linux, well that was not working but now it does on same exact software. If there is a problem , it won't go away until you do something.

However , when you get something wrong on Windows you can format it and it magically being fixed. That is the case though.

Linux is very stable, even when it comes to broken parts. It is reliable , everything is clear.

That is why you can boot into same Linux install years without problems.

However , a clean install is a must on Windows after time.
Ahh.. my lack of English language strike again. The magic part I describe "finger crossed" it as below:

get error(s) > look on internet for solution(s) > try that > hope it fixed (this where the magic part happens)

"Finger crossed" is more accurate term to use than "magic".

BTW, did not notice that I'm not subscribing to this forum thread. Apologies for late reply.

Avehicle7887Windows stability is like a never ending stand up comedy. My colleague at work has problems getting some phone software to work on his rather freshly installed system, meanwhile his old installation ran it well but was forced to reformat due to other issues.

Debugging those issues is a massive headache and there's literally not much to detect where the fault is coming from.

In Linux I find it much easier to debug and resolve issues, and they call Windows a user friendly OS...yeah right until the random errors pop up.
Yeah, phone software issue. Major problem when I was Sony Ericsson (java phone) + Win XP user. Old times..

bintsmok commented on 15 April 2018 at 6:22 am UTC

How do I enable the Gallium HUD on Steam games and on non-Steam games?

Phoronix wrote an article about the latest update on Gallium HUD and it can now display info similar to the format of MSI Afterburner.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gallium-HUD-Simple

I'm interested to try it.

Thanks

bintsmok commented on 16 April 2018 at 4:42 am UTC

bintsmokHow do I enable the Gallium HUD on Steam games and on non-Steam games?

Phoronix wrote an article about the latest update on Gallium HUD and it can now display info similar to the format of MSI Afterburner.

Thanks

I've managed to enable it on Steam games. Just have to place "GALLIUM_HUD=fps %command%" in the game's Steam Launch Option.

But how about DRM-free games that run without Steam? Does it involve Terminal? If yes, what is the command?

Thanks

Flabb commented on 16 April 2018 at 2:57 pm UTC

bintsmok

Thanks

I've managed to enable it on Steam games. Just have to place "GALLIUM_HUD=fps %command%" in the game's Steam Launch Option.

But how about DRM-free games that run without Steam? Does it involve Terminal? If yes, what is the command?

Thanks

GALLIUM_HUD=fps ./game-executable

Basically, by adding stuff to game's launch options in Steam, you're modifying the string that Steam uses to launch game. That "%command%" thing is just a placeholder for default launch string.

bintsmok commented on 16 April 2018 at 10:19 pm UTC

Flabb
bintsmok

Thanks

Thanks

Basically, by adding stuff to game's launch options in Steam, you're modifying the string that Steam uses to launch game. That "%command%" thing is just a placeholder for default launch string.

Thanks. I got it to run on non-Steam games.

I hope one day we'll get a GUI front end for Gallium HUD and Vulkan support.

mirv commented on 16 April 2018 at 10:42 pm UTC

bintsmok
Flabb
bintsmok

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks. I got it to run on non-Steam games.

I hope one day we'll get a GUI front end for Gallium HUD and Vulkan support.

What do you mean a gui front end for Gallium HUD? It's not a standalone system, it's basically debug info. Unless you mean some kind of in-game, interactive overlay (not sure what the point of that would be though).
Or do you mean an option to toggle it on & off from somewhere other than the command line? Could be useful I suppose, but command line is probably easier anyway.

Basically just curious - I'm honestly not sure what you mean by a gui front end in this case.

bintsmok commented on 17 April 2018 at 12:23 am UTC

^ Yeah, a GUI way to toggle the different options for Gallium HUD.

Something similar to MSI Afterburner.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts