Use Reddit? Join us on our very own subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxstuff/
You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Gamers using Radeon + Mesa
bintsmok commented on 16 April 2018 at 4:42 am UTC

bintsmokHow do I enable the Gallium HUD on Steam games and on non-Steam games?

Phoronix wrote an article about the latest update on Gallium HUD and it can now display info similar to the format of MSI Afterburner.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gallium-HUD-Simple

I'm interested to try it.

Thanks

I've managed to enable it on Steam games. Just have to place "GALLIUM_HUD=fps %command%" in the game's Steam Launch Option.

But how about DRM-free games that run without Steam? Does it involve Terminal? If yes, what is the command?

Thanks

Flabb commented on 16 April 2018 at 2:57 pm UTC

bintsmok

Phoronix wrote an article about the latest update on Gallium HUD and it can now display info similar to the format of MSI Afterburner.

Thanks

I've managed to enable it on Steam games. Just have to place "GALLIUM_HUD=fps %command%" in the game's Steam Launch Option.

But how about DRM-free games that run without Steam? Does it involve Terminal? If yes, what is the command?

Thanks

GALLIUM_HUD=fps ./game-executable

Basically, by adding stuff to game's launch options in Steam, you're modifying the string that Steam uses to launch game. That "%command%" thing is just a placeholder for default launch string.

bintsmok commented on 16 April 2018 at 10:19 pm UTC

Flabb
bintsmok

Thanks

Thanks

Basically, by adding stuff to game's launch options in Steam, you're modifying the string that Steam uses to launch game. That "%command%" thing is just a placeholder for default launch string.

Thanks. I got it to run on non-Steam games.

I hope one day we'll get a GUI front end for Gallium HUD and Vulkan support.

mirv commented on 16 April 2018 at 10:42 pm UTC

bintsmok
Flabb
bintsmok

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks. I got it to run on non-Steam games.

I hope one day we'll get a GUI front end for Gallium HUD and Vulkan support.

What do you mean a gui front end for Gallium HUD? It's not a standalone system, it's basically debug info. Unless you mean some kind of in-game, interactive overlay (not sure what the point of that would be though).
Or do you mean an option to toggle it on & off from somewhere other than the command line? Could be useful I suppose, but command line is probably easier anyway.

Basically just curious - I'm honestly not sure what you mean by a gui front end in this case.

bintsmok commented on 17 April 2018 at 12:23 am UTC

^ Yeah, a GUI way to toggle the different options for Gallium HUD.

Something similar to MSI Afterburner.

debianxfce commented on 28 April 2018 at 5:47 am UTC

1. Linux distro you use. Also specify the Linux kernel.
Debian testing/sid Xfce, amd-staging-drm-next kernel

2. CPU + GPU + motherboard + RAM
Ryzen 5 1600, Asus RX560 2GB, Asus Prime B350M-K, 2x4GB Kingston Hyperx 2666Mhz DDR4

3. Mesa driver version (include PPA if applicable).
Rolling release Mesa, Oibaf ppa git Mesa that is updated twice per day.

4. Notable Mesa problems you have encountered and were able to solve. Specify how you fixed it.
A couple of years ago when RX460 was new Mesa had fatal bugs and AMD did fix those in two weeks. Mesa quality have improved a lot since then.

5. Notable Mesa problems you have encountered that are still unsolved.
Debian should ditch ubuntu maintainers Mesa and use Oibaf ppa Mesa. AMD should pay for Oibaf for his great work and for me too for supporting other AMD gpu owners.

bintsmok commented on 21 May 2018 at 11:38 pm UTC

Guys, I need help on Civilization VI. I'm only getting around 20 FPS average in the built-in benchmark tool when using High preset + no MSAA at 2560 x 1080 resolution.

The CPU frequency governor is set to Performance and here are the relevant info of my PC:

- Intel Core i7 7700
- AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
- 8GBx2 DDR4
- Ubuntu MATE 17.10 (Linux kernel 4.13)
- Mesa 18.0.1

pete910 commented on 22 May 2018 at 8:07 am UTC

The Civ games a very CPU hungry, The benchmark loads both. Even on windows Civ can bring even HEDT systems to their knees.

Having said that it should be better than that. Whats the CPU usage like when benching ?

Bidinou commented on 22 May 2018 at 9:14 am UTC

I recently downgraded from a GTX 1060 to an RX 560. It feels great to use OSS drivers and to finally have a smooth KDE desktop. Game don't run that great (the fall is quite dramatic) but that's OK for a casual gamer like me.

Just a question : I noticed that most Feral AAA games make my GPU fan spin very loudly (and are quite smooth). On the other hand, some indie games like Descenders and Overload don't make them spin loudly BUT are not as smooth !

--> if the GPU was the bottleneck, why wouldn't it heat and make the fans spin as much as some other games that make an optimal use of the GPU ?

Also I have the feeling the fans curve is not optimal -- although it's OK as they are mostly silent when idle. But I can get VERY noisy ; much more than my former 1060 GTX... I guess it'll improve when I can switch to the latest MESA...

pete910 commented on 23 May 2018 at 8:30 am UTC

bintsmok

Thanks

Thanks
Late response to this but, I use script aliases. eg:

alias hud= 'GALLIUM_HUD_PERIOD=0.08GALLIUM_HUD=".h80.w410.c100cpu0+cpu1+cpu2+cpu3+cpu4+cpu5+cpu6+cpu7+cpu8+cpu9+cpu10+cpu11+cpu12+cpu13+cpu14+cpu15;.x460.h80.w960.dfps;.x1450.h80.w440temperature+GPU-load"'

then you can just do hud ./game_exec

Also radeon-profile can be used to start a game with various options too, handy as it displays the command if you are not sure what option is what.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „The Curse of Monkey Island“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts