Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Gamers using Radeon + Mesa
Ehvis commented on 17 January 2019 at 3:01 pm UTC

GuestThere is no list what games supports open source freesync. You must have:
- a display port freesync monitor with freesync indicator like refresh rate display (or built in fps counter)
- 5.0-rc2 or AMD wip kernel
- Oibaf ppa Mesa or similar Mesa git that has user space freesync patches.
- add to: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf
Option "VariableRefresh" "on"

A game must use Open GL, have the v-sync option on and flip via the Present extension to xf86-video-amdgpu for the entire Screen. Maximize graphics settings to trigger freesync.

Are there games that don't work?

Have you tried if LFC is implemented for freesync? (the absence of this combined with all the custom stuff you need was my reason for going gsync)

I started using gsync a couple of years ago and I've seen a few of the issues that it had. Way back in the beginning a lot of games wouldn't trigger gsync (Rocket League for instance). Back then the reason was given that RL didn't flip properly and that's why it wouldn't work. This was the case for quite a few games actually. But about two years ago nvidia must have changed something because suddenly everything started working.

One big thing is that "entire screen" you mentioned. Apparently this is an X limitation. This one is seriously problematic in multi monitor setups. Not sure if things are better now, but two years ago it was impossible to trigger gsync with multiple monitors. So expect issues with that.

BTW, this seems interesting enough to put in a separate topic.

Ehvis commented on 17 January 2019 at 3:41 pm UTC

EhvisAre there games that don't work?
Many that do not fill above requirements.

Isn't the point of the list to have both sides? Now it's unclear if it's not working or just untested.

EhvisHave you tried if LFC is implemented for freesync?

Liverpool Football Club is not implemented for freesync.

LFC is Low Frequency Compensation. It is used to prevent freesync turning off when fps gets low. It basically sends the same frame to the monitor multiple times if the fps drops below the minimum of the monitor. This was basically the big difference between freesync and gsync. This part was taken care off in the expensive hardware module for gsync. Freesync didn't have it and would still tear on lower fps. Freesync 2 introduced the LFC option, but if I understand correctly, the implementation is purely software based. Which is why I'm curious whether Linux has it.

Ehvis commented on 17 January 2019 at 7:31 pm UTC

EhvisLFC is Low Frequency Compensation. It is used to prevent freesync turning off when fps gets low.

That is what freesync does, it kicks in when game generated fps is below the normal monitor refresh rate. It is disabled if the game runs faster. That is why it is important to maximize graphics settings to slow fps down, otherwise you would not notice that freesync is used.

Then you misunderstand. Say you're monitor has vertical refresh of between 35 and 90 Hz. Then old freesync would stop working below 35 fps. LFC makes sure that can work below 35 Hz by actually outputting double frames so it stays within 35-90. Back when I researched it, you actually had "freesync" monitors that did 40-60 Hz, which would have been absolutely hopeless.

Shmerl commented on 21 January 2019 at 5:56 pm UTC

Many freesync monitors start at 40 Hz. Some at 30 Hz. LFC (low framerate compensation) does indeed make monitor use double refresh rate. So it covers the range of 20-40 fps or 15-30 fps accordingly, to prevent tearing.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone can confirm that LFC is working correctly with recent kernels.

Here is a good list of FreeSync monitors btw: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

drlamb commented on 21 January 2019 at 8:19 pm UTC

I was just about to create a separate topic when I saw this thread's latest comments. I have the Samsung CHG70 so getting Freesync working is important to me. Thus far I've only been able to get freesync working via:

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop (To see available display properties)

DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DP-3 --set "freesync" 1

and then only with the amd-staging-drm-next-git kernel. I've used both Ubuntu's and Fedora Rawhide's 5.0rc2s (Edit: + Padoka Unstable/Che Copr Mesa/LLVM) and both report the parameters "vrr_capable" vs "freesync_capable" in the amd kernel. Regardless, it would seem that the correct flag is "vrr_enabled" to indicate userland freesync and neither Fedora nor Ubuntu's kernel report that as a valid xrandr value.

drlamb commented on 21 January 2019 at 9:13 pm UTC

GuestThe mainline Mesa does not have freesync user space patches. Mesa git does have and with Oibaf ppa it is easy to install. You need to enable freesync in a xorg conf file, see my previous post.

I see. I was using Padokas unstable PPA for Ubuntu. At work I have another freesync display, the CF791 running Fedora + rawhide kernel + Che mesa/llvm to the same issue. So it would seem that Padoka and che’s Mesa builds aren’t enabling it.

(Adding that amdgpu file causes an X error on Fedora of course)

cRaZy-bisCuiT commented on 22 January 2019 at 12:54 pm UTC

Will Linux 5 stable + Mesa stable support FreeSync when released?

drlamb commented on 22 January 2019 at 1:32 pm UTC

GuestPadoka ppa has an old xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu package.

Indeed. I see that now thank you. Well it's good to know that Ubuntu should be able to have freesync working. Too bad GNOME Shell started locking up randomly upon switching to 5.0rcs otherwise I likely wouldn't have nuked my install. I wish Oibaf also updated wayland. Not that its useful for Freesync, but it's a technology I follow and use at work. I might switch back to Ubuntu following the 5.0rc3 as I seem to be having good luck with that kernel.

I'll continue to monitor Fedora's support in Che's mesa on my workstation.

drlamb commented on 4 February 2019 at 12:42 pm UTC

GuestMaybe the situation is the same as with Padoka ppa.

So I still haven't gotten freesync working on my system using Ubuntu 18.10. Mainline 5.0RC5 Kernel + Oibaf + TearFree and VariableRefresh set to true (tear free works) yet xorg's logs report that option "VariableRefresh" is not used.

drlamb commented on 9 February 2019 at 6:34 pm UTC

So I just got my Radeon VII yesterday. Anything you guys want to see ran on it? Of course the first game I try to play is a slideshow (CSGO) but I'll figure that out.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts