Use Reddit? Join us on our very own subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxstuff/
You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Gamers using Radeon + Mesa
bintsmok commented on 18 March 2018 at 1:38 pm UTC

How well does R9 380 run the current games using Mesa driver? I can't find anything.

Phoronix has benchmarks of R9 285 and it runs well with the current games even with F1 2017 on Linux. I'm not sure if the "R9 285 = R9 380" on Windows applies to Linux.

Thanks

whizse commented on 18 March 2018 at 5:09 pm UTC

No idea how helpful this is, but I have been extremely satisfied with my R9 285.

AFAICT the 380 seems very close to the 285, both are GCN3 and some describe the 380 as an overclocked version of the 285.

Anyway, when it comes to stability, Vulkan/GL support, video en/decoding and support from Mesa devs I have no complaints. I would be very surprised if the 380 was any different.

bintsmok commented on 19 March 2018 at 8:51 am UTC

whizseNo idea how helpful this is, but I have been extremely satisfied with my R9 285.

AFAICT the 380 seems very close to the 285, both are GCN3 and some describe the 380 as an overclocked version of the 285.

Anyway, when it comes to stability, Vulkan/GL support, video en/decoding and support from Mesa devs I have no complaints. I would be very surprised if the 380 was any different.

Have you tested F1 2017, Serious Sam 3 BFE, and The Talos Principle using Vulkan?

Thanks

whizse commented on 19 March 2018 at 2:53 pm UTC

I don't own F1 2017. I played through the other two, but before they started using Vulkan.

The Vulkan games I have played around with are Mad Max and Doom (Wine) and they seem to work fine.

Shmerl commented on 19 March 2018 at 5:51 pm UTC

For the reference, Sapphire released their Pulse version of Vega 56. It looks quite good (way better than their Nitro model), except for crazy pricing.

tonR commented on 19 March 2018 at 11:04 pm UTC

As Radeon + Mesa user, I want give some inputs.

(as 20 Mar 2018)

1) Ubuntu 16.04.4 (4.13.0-37-generic)
2) Intel i5-2320 + Sapphire R7 240 2GB + Asus P8H61-M + 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz
3) Mesa 17.3.3 (x-swat ppa)

4) - After Unity updated to 7.4.5 via regular update on mid Feb 2018, mesa recognized my graphic card as "Vmware" with OpenGL 3.3 (at that time using Mesa 17.2.4 + Kernel 4.13.0-2*). I though maybe Ubuntu want transition to GNome (for 18.04 LTS) so be patience.
- After Ubuntu updated to Mesa 17.2.8 early Mar 2018, it still still broken.
- Losing patience last week. Try AMDGPU-Pro (AMD recomended) = Stuck on log in window, had to purge using terminal.
- Try x-swat ppa = Mesa Update to 17.3.3, No effect.
- Look this forum, Shmerl post about mesa-master / build mesa from source, try it and Success!

5) - (I don't know if this is a problem) Override mesa to 4.5, game require OpenGL 4.1 (eg. Grid Autosport) can play no problem.
But still OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3

- Prior unity update if override mesa to 4.5, version string will recognized as 4.5

Add Info:
- Most game set on Mid, sometimes Low-Mid (eg. anti aliasing off, texture Medium). Framerate avg: 15-25 FPS

Shmerl commented on 20 March 2018 at 1:26 pm UTC

tonRBut still OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3

That's compat profile. Do:

glxinfo | grep 'core profile version string'

whizse commented on 20 March 2018 at 2:17 pm UTC

tonR4) - After Unity updated to 7.4.5 via regular update on mid Feb 2018, mesa recognized my graphic card as "Vmware" with OpenGL 3.3 (at [...]
But still OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3

Sounds like you're getting software rendering. It happens if the hardware driver is broken/or missing. (llmvpipe identifies as Vendor: VMware, Inc. and only implements OpenGL up to 3.0)

This is a problem on your end or with your distribution-

Full glxinfo and trying glxgears with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose might be helpful.

tonR commented on 20 March 2018 at 10:28 pm UTC

ShmerlThat's compat profile. Do:

glxinfo | grep 'core profile version string'

whizseSounds like you're getting software rendering. It happens if the hardware driver is broken/or missing. (llmvpipe identifies as Vendor: VMware, Inc. and only implements OpenGL up to 3.0)

This is a problem on your end or with your distribution-

Full glxinfo and trying glxgears with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose might be helpful.

Ok, I'm run both glxinfo | grep OpenGL and LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears commands.

Here's the result.
username@username-System-Product-Name:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL OpenGL vendor string: X.Org OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-37-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50 OpenGL core profile context flags: (none) OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile OpenGL core profile extensions: OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30 OpenGL context flags: (none) OpenGL extensions: OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10 OpenGL ES profile extensions:

username@username-System-Product-Name:~$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/username/.drirc: No such file or directory. libGL: pci id for fd 4: 1002:6613, driver radeonsi libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/username/.drirc: No such file or directory. libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/username/.drirc: No such file or directory. libGL: Using DRI3 for screen 0 366 frames in 5.0 seconds = 73.100 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.001 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.001 FPS XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0" after 6330 requests (6211 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
FYI: I didn't know how long glxgears should run and my username is changed to "username". Privacy concern.

Something is wrong with radeonsi_dri.so something.

Sensei Shrmerl and Sensei whizse please help/explain.

Thank You.

beniwtv commented on 20 March 2018 at 11:27 pm UTC

Those look completely fine, all normal messages, radeon_dri.so was loaded fine (else you would have seen it loading swrast later on). Glxgears also ran at 60 FPS, by default the AMD driver has vsync on, so it won't be faster.

Try to run the game in question with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose in front of the command, so we can see why it would detect Vmware (i.e. software renderer) for you. One possible thing is it could be 32 bit and you're missing the 32 bit Mesa libraries. Or some of the libraries where updated and are incompatible now.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „The Curse of Monkey Island“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts