You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
Gamers using Radeon + Mesa
Shmerl commented on 20 March 2018 at 11:29 pm UTC

tonROpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-37-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50

That looks OK to me. You have OpenGL 4.5. Your kernel is rather old though. It would be better to update to the recent kernel.

whizse commented on 21 March 2018 at 9:45 am UTC

Where did the Wmware identifier come from?

What games are you trying to run and how do you launch them? Could be that your Steam install is broken so it picks up software rendering but the rest of the system is fine?

drlamb commented on 21 March 2018 at 12:58 pm UTC

ShmerlYour kernel is rather old though.

Ha, just last week I got yelled at by a debian user for saying that Kernel 4.9 was old. It's still a supported kernel sure but in terms of Mesa/amdgpu progress it's ANCIENT.

tonR commented on 21 March 2018 at 6:58 pm UTC

Just for clarification people. The "Vmware" thing exist

- after Unity 7.4.5 update and
- before I try the mesa-master/build mesa which Shmerl posted.

I don't know how that fixed it but poof it working. I'm suspect Unity update breaking Mesa.

drlamb

Ha, just last week I got yelled at by a debian user for saying that Kernel 4.9 was old. It's still a supported kernel sure but in terms of Mesa/amdgpu progress it's ANCIENT.

I know in Linux kernel world it considered "antic" but as long it's working I'm fine by that. The last thing I wanted to do is more problem after return from workplace with problem solved.
I waited for 18.04 LTS to release. If I don't like it, I may look forward use Arch (Antegos) for the first time in my life.

p/s: What I learned by using Linux is in troubleshooting/fixing , you need believe to magic to make it work sometimes.

Avehicle7887 commented on 21 March 2018 at 9:14 pm UTC

Generally speaking, an old kernel will still work fine today, in the AMD GPU world however is a different story. An R7 240 will probably not be affected much by a newer kernel, I could be wrong though (my AMD GPU knowledge is limited).

bintsmok commented on 22 March 2018 at 5:19 am UTC

I don't have a problem with default Linux kernel 4.13 for Ubuntu 17.10.

Currently using an RX 480.

Leopard commented on 2 April 2018 at 6:56 am UTC

tonRJust for clarification people. The "Vmware" thing exist

- after Unity 7.4.5 update and
- before I try the mesa-master/build mesa which Shmerl posted.

I don't know how that fixed it but poof it working. I'm suspect Unity update breaking Mesa.

drlamb

I know in Linux kernel world it considered "antic" but as long it's working I'm fine by that. The last thing I wanted to do is more problem after return from workplace with problem solved.
I waited for 18.04 LTS to release. If I don't like it, I may look forward use Arch (Antegos) for the first time in my life.

p/s: What I learned by using Linux is in troubleshooting/fixing , you need believe to magic to make it work sometimes.

No actually. That magic works on Windows.

I never saw a thing like on Linux, well that was not working but now it does on same exact software. If there is a problem , it won't go away until you do something.

However , when you get something wrong on Windows you can format it and it magically being fixed. That is the case though.

Linux is very stable, even when it comes to broken parts. It is reliable , everything is clear.

That is why you can boot into same Linux install years without problems.

However , a clean install is a must on Windows after time.

Avehicle7887 commented on 2 April 2018 at 10:24 pm UTC

Windows stability is like a never ending stand up comedy. My colleague at work has problems getting some phone software to work on his rather freshly installed system, meanwhile his old installation ran it well but was forced to reformat due to other issues.

Debugging those issues is a massive headache and there's literally not much to detect where the fault is coming from.

In Linux I find it much easier to debug and resolve issues, and they call Windows a user friendly OS...yeah right until the random errors pop up.

tonR commented on 5 April 2018 at 11:40 pm UTC

LeopardNo actually. That magic works on Windows.

I never saw a thing like on Linux, well that was not working but now it does on same exact software. If there is a problem , it won't go away until you do something.

However , when you get something wrong on Windows you can format it and it magically being fixed. That is the case though.

Linux is very stable, even when it comes to broken parts. It is reliable , everything is clear.

That is why you can boot into same Linux install years without problems.

However , a clean install is a must on Windows after time.
Ahh.. my lack of English language strike again. The magic part I describe "finger crossed" it as below:

get error(s) > look on internet for solution(s) > try that > hope it fixed (this where the magic part happens)

"Finger crossed" is more accurate term to use than "magic".

BTW, did not notice that I'm not subscribing to this forum thread. Apologies for late reply.

Avehicle7887Windows stability is like a never ending stand up comedy. My colleague at work has problems getting some phone software to work on his rather freshly installed system, meanwhile his old installation ran it well but was forced to reformat due to other issues.

Debugging those issues is a massive headache and there's literally not much to detect where the fault is coming from.

In Linux I find it much easier to debug and resolve issues, and they call Windows a user friendly OS...yeah right until the random errors pop up.
Yeah, phone software issue. Major problem when I was Sony Ericsson (java phone) + Win XP user. Old times..

bintsmok commented on 15 April 2018 at 6:22 am UTC

How do I enable the Gallium HUD on Steam games and on non-Steam games?

Phoronix wrote an article about the latest update on Gallium HUD and it can now display info similar to the format of MSI Afterburner.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Gallium-HUD-Simple

I'm interested to try it.

Thanks

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Crawl About: „Paper Sorcerer“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts