Use Reddit? Join us on our very own subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxstuff/
You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Gamers using Radeon + Mesa
Shmerl commented on 20 March 2018 at 1:26 pm UTC

tonRBut still OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3

That's compat profile. Do:

glxinfo | grep 'core profile version string'

whizse commented on 20 March 2018 at 2:17 pm UTC

tonR4) - After Unity updated to 7.4.5 via regular update on mid Feb 2018, mesa recognized my graphic card as "Vmware" with OpenGL 3.3 (at [...]
But still OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3

Sounds like you're getting software rendering. It happens if the hardware driver is broken/or missing. (llmvpipe identifies as Vendor: VMware, Inc. and only implements OpenGL up to 3.0)

This is a problem on your end or with your distribution-

Full glxinfo and trying glxgears with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose might be helpful.

tonR commented on 20 March 2018 at 10:28 pm UTC

ShmerlThat's compat profile. Do:

glxinfo | grep 'core profile version string'

whizseSounds like you're getting software rendering. It happens if the hardware driver is broken/or missing. (llmvpipe identifies as Vendor: VMware, Inc. and only implements OpenGL up to 3.0)

This is a problem on your end or with your distribution-

Full glxinfo and trying glxgears with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose might be helpful.

Ok, I'm run both glxinfo | grep OpenGL and LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears commands.

Here's the result.
username@username-System-Product-Name:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL OpenGL vendor string: X.Org OpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-37-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50 OpenGL core profile context flags: (none) OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile OpenGL core profile extensions: OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30 OpenGL context flags: (none) OpenGL extensions: OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10 OpenGL ES profile extensions:

username@username-System-Product-Name:~$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/username/.drirc: No such file or directory. libGL: pci id for fd 4: 1002:6613, driver radeonsi libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/username/.drirc: No such file or directory. libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/username/.drirc: No such file or directory. libGL: Using DRI3 for screen 0 366 frames in 5.0 seconds = 73.100 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.001 FPS 301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.001 FPS XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0" after 6330 requests (6211 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
FYI: I didn't know how long glxgears should run and my username is changed to "username". Privacy concern.

Something is wrong with radeonsi_dri.so something.

Sensei Shrmerl and Sensei whizse please help/explain.

Thank You.

beniwtv commented on 20 March 2018 at 11:27 pm UTC

Those look completely fine, all normal messages, radeon_dri.so was loaded fine (else you would have seen it loading swrast later on). Glxgears also ran at 60 FPS, by default the AMD driver has vsync on, so it won't be faster.

Try to run the game in question with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose in front of the command, so we can see why it would detect Vmware (i.e. software renderer) for you. One possible thing is it could be 32 bit and you're missing the 32 bit Mesa libraries. Or some of the libraries where updated and are incompatible now.

Shmerl commented on 20 March 2018 at 11:29 pm UTC

tonROpenGL renderer string: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-37-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.3 OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50

That looks OK to me. You have OpenGL 4.5. Your kernel is rather old though. It would be better to update to the recent kernel.

whizse commented on 21 March 2018 at 9:45 am UTC

Where did the Wmware identifier come from?

What games are you trying to run and how do you launch them? Could be that your Steam install is broken so it picks up software rendering but the rest of the system is fine?

drlamb commented on 21 March 2018 at 12:58 pm UTC

ShmerlYour kernel is rather old though.

Ha, just last week I got yelled at by a debian user for saying that Kernel 4.9 was old. It's still a supported kernel sure but in terms of Mesa/amdgpu progress it's ANCIENT.

tonR commented on 21 March 2018 at 6:58 pm UTC

Just for clarification people. The "Vmware" thing exist

- after Unity 7.4.5 update and
- before I try the mesa-master/build mesa which Shmerl posted.

I don't know how that fixed it but poof it working. I'm suspect Unity update breaking Mesa.

drlamb
ShmerlYour kernel is rather old though.

Ha, just last week I got yelled at by a debian user for saying that Kernel 4.9 was old. It's still a supported kernel sure but in terms of Mesa/amdgpu progress it's ANCIENT.

I know in Linux kernel world it considered "antic" but as long it's working I'm fine by that. The last thing I wanted to do is more problem after return from workplace with problem solved.
I waited for 18.04 LTS to release. If I don't like it, I may look forward use Arch (Antegos) for the first time in my life.

p/s: What I learned by using Linux is in troubleshooting/fixing , you need believe to magic to make it work sometimes.

Avehicle7887 commented on 21 March 2018 at 9:14 pm UTC

Generally speaking, an old kernel will still work fine today, in the AMD GPU world however is a different story. An R7 240 will probably not be affected much by a newer kernel, I could be wrong though (my AMD GPU knowledge is limited).

bintsmok commented on 22 March 2018 at 5:19 am UTC

I don't have a problem with default Linux kernel 4.13 for Ubuntu 17.10.

Currently using an RX 480.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts